SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

EWU appears to be getting an absolute bare bottom FBS stadium with expansion of Roos Field approved for $25 million.  The track around the stadium will be moved and a new track built elsewhere.  The expansion will take 2 years.

The old Gateway project for Roos was going to be $65 milllion and a separate proposal was an entirely new stadium, and both didn’t get the needed $ support.  

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/sep/06/ewu-proposes-major-football-stadium-renovations-ai/

IMHO, this was essentially a requirement for EWU to jump to the Summit League, with Weber St, Idaho, and the Montanas.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

EWU appears to be getting an absolute bare bottom FBS stadium with expansion of Roos Field approved for $25 million.

Lol, do you even read, bro?

"EWU wants to keep its intimate, loud capacity at 8,612 fans (with expanded seating on occasion), but has proposed brand new seats (benches, chairs and luxury seating), a new club seating area and an improved sight line for fans."

The reality is...like so many.  They have to find the money.  And the way I read that piece is the dollars are not anywhere close to being there.  It looks like they’ve released renderings to spur interest, but who really knows? I don’t think they are anywhere close even dreaming of FBS.  They just want to remain relevant in the FCS facilities race.  Raising necessary funds can be hard for any institution and it seems to be no different in this instance.

• Upvote 1

Just knew this post would get rejections from posters.  

The intimate seating with a track around the fb field?  How does that make intimate?

Rented bleachers can get set up along three sides, so the cost goes to expenses, not capital.  It says they will get temporary seating “at least” on occasion.

Once the significance of the move sets in,  another permanent expansion can be done.

If EWU was going to stay FCS, the cheapest thing to do is nothing as FCS has no payout.  EWU wants a piece of the CFP,  bigger opponent payouts and vastly expanded media attention that comes with FBS. 

6 hours ago, the green team said:

The reality is...like so many.  They have to find the money.  And the way I read that piece is the dollars are not anywhere close to being there.  It looks like they’ve released renderings to spur interest, but who really knows? I don’t think they are anywhere close even dreaming of FBS.  They just want to remain relevant in the FCS facilities race.  Raising necessary funds can be hard for any institution and it seems to be no different in this instance.

This is spot on.  They have probably determined that improving the fan experience and boosting attendance is the best and easiest way to increase revenue.  Nowhere in the article do I see that they are even trying to hit the 15,000 attendance mark.

5 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

This is spot on.  They have probably determined that improving the fan experience and boosting attendance is the best and easiest way to increase revenue.  Nowhere in the article do I see that they are even trying to hit the 15,000 attendance mark.

The EWU president and AD do not want that known yet.   Neither does any one else.  But they are all moving toward FBS facilities.

Spending $25 million for improved FCS facilities gives negative ROI, unless you don’t have a stadium.

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The EWU president and AD do not want that known yet.   Neither does any one else.  But they are all moving toward FBS facilities.

Spending $25 million for improved FCS facilities gives negative ROI, unless you don’t have a stadium.

College football gives a negative ROI anywhere, unless you are p5.  Is everyone going P5 too?!

Where is our new stadium that you promised, by the way?

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

College football gives a negative ROI anywhere, unless you are p5.  Is everyone going P5 too?!

Where is our new stadium that you promised, by the way?

The opportunity cost lost is nearly $3 million per year and even more PR from FBS.  Staying FCS would lose all that additional revenue and PR and maybe our conference mates.  Where would UND go for a conference at an FCS level without the other Dakotas?

Being a weak G5, in a conference of course, provides better return than FCS as there is all kinds of revenue sources that FCS doesn’t have.  No FBS conference is the sole reason that Idaho dropped down.  Georgia Southern and App St only moved up because they would be eligible for a CFP stake, which nadnt been enacted before, and then Coastal Carolina suddenly moved up averaging less than 9000 and needing to double its stadium.  The CFP and the PR was the admins motivation.

The stadium.is in same place as HPC Phase II.

4 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

They're not, in fact the total seat gain appears to be...12? According to the EWU guys on our board this is strictly a stadium upgrade catered to fan experience, getting rid of the track which nobody can stand around football fields, and putting in new turf closer to the "good" bleacher side, plus other upgrades in seating and press boxes and such. The temporary seating they reference is probably the same as they bring in now for a Montana or Montana State game. The reality is they don't really need any more, even though they have created a winning program the attendance is probably capped under 10,000 except a game or two a year. And they don't have any money, this is just the green light to start accumulating, which could take a few years. The feeling is they're comfortable with what they have and what they've been able to accomplish in their market, and want to enhance their facilities for their fans as they can afford to. That's it.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The opportunity cost lost is nearly $3 million per year and even more PR from FBS.  Staying FCS would lose all that additional revenue and PR and maybe our conference mates.  Where would UND go for a conference at an FCS level without the other Dakotas?

Being a weak G5, in a conference of course, provides better return than FCS as there is all kinds of revenue sources that FCS doesn’t have.  No FBS conference is the sole reason that Idaho dropped down.  Georgia Southern and App St only moved up because they would be eligible for a CFP stake, which nadnt been enacted before, and then Coastal Carolina suddenly moved up averaging less than 9000 and needing to double its stadium.  The CFP and the PR was the admins motivation.

The stadium.is in same place as HPC Phase II.

With all of the improvements all of these schools are making and your interpretation that means they are moving up can you give me the Cliff Notes version and just list all of the schools who are moving up?????

15 minutes ago, bison73 said:

With all of the improvements all of these schools are making and your interpretation that means they are moving up can you give me the Cliff Notes version and just list all of the schools who are moving up?????

Given that a hundred times.  Your next opponent Delaware will move up too as they have updated their stadium and facilities for FBS..  AD Larsen confirmed that NDSU will move in a few years.

But the fans bases are so knowledgeable that they say it won’t happen.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Given that a hundred times.  Your next opponent Delaware will move up too as they have updated their stadium and facilities for FBS..  AD Larsen confirmed that NDSU will move in a few years.

But the fans bases are so knowledgeable that they say it won’t happen.

When did Larsen say NDSU was moving up to FBS?

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

seems like a natural southland conf fit...

The DII Lone Star seriously expanded out to NM, OK, and KS and to the Rio Grande and Permian.

The Southland will have lower travel costs even when Sam Houston St, Lamar, and McNeese St leave.

Football would have such a ridiculous travel cost just to get games.  In the Southland, it would be mainly bus trips.

The trolls and posters so against FBS for the WAC and Summit will be proven so wrong.  Its happening exactly like I've said in the last year but most of them never even read my posts but turn on me when I say FBS.

Apparently there is a D2 poster that says the WAC will get several Southland schools and Big Sky schools for a new FBS WAC.  What I’ve been stating along with Northern Big Sky schools moving over to the Summit.

As a repercussion if that, Tarleton St is waiting on a Southland bid and doesn’t want a travel intensive WAC bid.  Tarleton has resigned from the Lone Star but hasn’t accepted a WAC bid.

Reported by a Kat fan at the Sam Houston St board.

http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?22110-Tartleton-State-making-the-move-to-the-FCS&p=394513&viewfull=1#post394513

It's much more likely the WAC adds football, but at an FCS level. I could see some schools moving to the WAC for football in that scenario. However it remains incredibly unlikely that the WAC resurrects as an FBS G5 conference. There isn't the support or financial backing from enough schools in the west to make it viable.