SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Should be easy enough to link the comments then. I'd be interested to see what these self-proclaimed "message board lawyers" have to say. 

When making an assertion that contradicts the actual official manual of the NCAA, you think it would be simple enough to back up your claim and actually give a little bit more credibility to your theories.

There is not a real key word for the search.  It might take days to search and read.

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This NCAA report says they are reviewing the rule not allowing DIII’s to DI without a stop in DII.  (g.7)

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Jun2019D1Council_Report.pdf

st Thomas would need five years then to be a fully DI school.

Justin Sell of SDSU is on that committee.

Thanks for posting this.

You sure it's all D3's?  "AN" institution.... is this specifically about St. Thomas?

"Review of Reclassification Process. (Fairness/Well-Being/Operational)
The Strategic Vision and Planning Committee will continue to discuss 
whether an institution should have an opportunity to reclassify from 
Division III to Division I, without first requiring that institution be a 
Division II member, noting the importance of ensuring preparedness for 
Division I membership."

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Thanks for posting this.

You sure it's all D3's?  "AN" institution.... is this specifically about St. Thomas?

"Review of Reclassification Process. (Fairness/Well-Being/Operational)
The Strategic Vision and Planning Committee will continue to discuss 
whether an institution should have an opportunity to reclassify from 
Division III to Division I, without first requiring that institution be a 
Division II member, noting the importance of ensuring preparedness for 
Division I membership."

Would expect UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs to want to go DI now.  19,000 students and just moved their basketball to a new arena in downtown Santa Cruz, the time seems right.

UT Dallas with 16,000 students is also possible.

While not near term, Texas A&M San Antonio was just started and has like 5000 students, but is projected to grow to 50000.  It’s starting an athletic program right now at the NAIA level but will go DI eventually.  Schools like Sam Houston St, Lamar, Texas Arlington, Texas -Dallas and others need to have move up athletically to to raise their visibilities.  

http://www.tamusa.edu/documents/master-plan-trifold.pdf

Interesting is the quote by USD AD Dave Herbster.  Went on record as saying that as of right now Augustana would be a "No" as not enough of the league schools know enough about them, that they haven't really been vetted.  Shocking in that USD, SDSU, NDSU, UND, and UNO know all about Augustana, there is nothing unfamiliar about them.  They've been all over the newspapers about this move to D1.  NCAA is a small world, how could the Summit schools NOT know about Augustana and their aspirations, errrr Sanford's aspirations?

Herbie went out on a limb with that quote, in my opinion.  He is a very calculated and measured guy too.  That wasn't off the cuff.

10 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Interesting is the quote by USD AD Dave Herbster.  Went on record as saying that as of right now Augustana would be a "No" as not enough of the league schools know enough about them, that they haven't really been vetted.  Shocking in that USD, SDSU, NDSU, UND, and UNO know all about Augustana, there is nothing unfamiliar about them.  They've been all over the newspapers about this move to D1.  NCAA is a small world, how could the Summit schools NOT know about Augustana and their aspirations, errrr Sanford's aspirations?

Herbie went out on a limb with that quote, in my opinion.  He is a very calculated and measured guy too.  That wasn't off the cuff.

i would say that the AD's at both USD and SDAC would be hard No's all day and all night so I don't think they are going out on limb to say what everyone knows....3 sodak schools is one too many.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i would say that the AD's at both USD and SDAC would be hard No's all day and all night so I don't think they are going out on limb to say what everyone knows....3 sodak schools is one too many.

I think they would be going out on a limb, given all the money Sanford has thrown at USD, SDSU, and NDSU.  That money has strings, you can bet on it.  Yes, in a perfect world 3 South Dakota schools is too many.

27 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I think they would be going out on a limb, given all the money Sanford has thrown at USD, SDSU, and NDSU.  That money has strings, you can bet on it.  Yes, in a perfect world 3 South Dakota schools is too many.

seems like sanford would have to give alot to make up for the the negatives of having a d1 summit member right in the your biggest city in the state...why would non-alumni drive those extra miles to watch a summit game when you could just head to the pentagon?

Augies not in the Summit unless they get enough presidents on board.   So far there has been an orderly change of Summit membership.  I dont know if Augie is included in future plans to replace a departing member but its very possible Augie may be the last hope.

Of course the South Dakota Schools, especially USD, are concerned about splitting the pie.  USD is the weak sister and if the pie can't grow would certrainly be hurt the most.  It could be viewed just as much of an extistential crises for the Summit as it is for USD.  Augie may find them a perfect D1 foil.  The games in Sioux Falls would be huge.  They may both end up needing each other to survive.

The funny thing is Augie is already competing with those schools for players, corporate dollars and fans.  Augie has a presence in Sioux Falls and USD is probably a bit worried about their ability to compete if Augie improves their profile.

SDSU and NDSU will be just fine.  Both have footprints far greater than the sourrounding communities.  Both have the potential to move on and both are key to the Summit and MVFC futures.  Of course its the UxDs that have the biggest worry.

All of the Dakota schools would trade some ridiculous out of conference guarantee home game of little or no interest for a profitable conference game within easy distance of all fans. 

Augie is a founding member of the old NCC just like St. Thomas, NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, and UNI.  They belong.   They bring baseball, but that probably won't sooth the huge egos that think Augie is beneath them or quiet the fear some are expressing.  

If they are ready take them in.

35 minutes ago, Boydj282 said:

Augies not in the Summit unless they get enough presidents on board.   So far there has been an orderly change of Summit membership.  I dont know if Augie is included in future plans to replace a departing member but its very possible Augie may be the last hope.

Of course the South Dakota Schools, especially USD, are concerned about splitting the pie.  USD is the weak sister and if the pie can't grow would certrainly be hurt the most.  It could be viewed just as much of an extistential crises for the Summit as it is for USD.  Augie may find them a perfect D1 foil.  The games in Sioux Falls would be huge.  They may both end up needing each other to survive.

The funny thing is Augie is already competing with those schools for players, corporate dollars and fans.  Augie has a presence in Sioux Falls and USD is probably a bit worried about their ability to compete if Augie improves their profile.

SDSU and NDSU will be just fine.  Both have footprints far greater than the sourrounding communities.  Both have the potential to move on and both are key to the Summit and MVFC futures.  Of course its the UxDs that have the biggest worry.

All of the Dakota schools would trade some ridiculous out of conference guarantee home game of little or no interest for a profitable conference game within easy distance of all fans. 

Augie is a founding member of the old NCC just like St. Thomas, NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, and UNI.  They belong.   They bring baseball, but that probably won't sooth the huge egos that think Augie is beneath them or quiet the fear some are expressing.  

If they are ready take them in.

You've been over to the USD board enough to know that everything you just spewed about USD is pure nonsense.  Seriously, you have no clue.  It's time for you to recalculate your GAM as it is giving you some faulty results.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Boydj282 said:

Yes, UND has a huge fan base in Sioux Falls that will migrate over to Augie if/when they join a Division I conference.  No, wait, that sounds more like a South Dakota issue, that a UND one.  You sound an awful lot like someone who used to go under the moniker JBB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Yes, UND has a huge fan base in Sioux Falls that will migrate over to Augie if/when they join a Division I conference.  No, wait, that sounds more like a South Dakota issue, that a UND one.  You sound an awful lot like someone who used to go under the moniker JBB.

It's the GAM reference in other threads that gives him away.  Known as aldewitt over on the USD board.  Provides good content and game analysis over on the USD board but has to constantly be warned about his negative posts running down UND and the hockey program and how UND is going broke, etc.  So I guess he comes over to the UND board to run down USD now. 

So JBB = aldweitt = Boydj282.  Got it.

• Upvote 1

I believe many UND fans feel Augie is beneath the Summit that most don’t seem to have a high regard for anyway.

USD on the other hand realizes Augie is a real challenge for them, if not an existential  threat.  They use the Augie profile argument to cover the fact they feel there isn’t enough room for another SD school.

Augie is in better shape now than 30 years ago when they were also the smallest.  If they have the money let them in  

I see Augie as I always saw Augie. They are a charter member. The others are St. Thomas, NDSU, SDSU, USD &UNI. There are six solid members, 7 with UMKC that will

• stabilize the Summit for a long time to come
  • keep it regional for the fans  
  • provide great competition

Augie and St. Thomas could be 2 Summit non scholarship football teams. There are other likely suspects in the league too. 

It looks like it’s turning out the Summit is the NCC 2. Our past is our future. We have no place else to go. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boydj282 said:

I believe many UND fans feel Augie is beneath the Summit that most don’t seem to have a high regard for anyway.

I’m ok with letting Augie in...with one condition.

Sanford has given the other Dakota schools at least $10 million. I’d vote yes when the check clears. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, VMeister said:

I’m ok with letting Augie in...with one condition.

Sanford has given the other Dakota schools at least $10 million. I’d vote yes when the check clears. 

Um, time value of money? I'd say $10M plus a half-percent vig. ;) 

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I don't think you guys want to go down that road of wanting another puppet master pulling the strings.  Of course, that might make for an interesting battle between REA and Sanford for control.

I think you are correct on both points...it would definitely be interesting.

NC A&T is considering going FBS, and they have only a budget of $13.7 million in 2017 dollars.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JEPopeIV/status/1162551513165783041

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevenjgaither

So some schools can’t even consider FBS if their budget are almost triple that? 

NC A&T’s fb stadium seats 21,000, so FBS is at least possible with that seating,

There is further confirmation that NC A&T is exploring an FBS slot.  As noted earlier, it could make sense if a new league, probably the ASun, gets 8 FBS teams and declares itself an FBS conference before the new CFB contract. Then it would partake in the CFP payout to the tune of more than $10 mill per year.  Independents get much less than conference teams, except Notre Dame.

https://thespun.com/college-football/north-carolina-at-aggies-football-fbs

There will be a mass of FCS to FBS before 2025 as it makes financial sense.