SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

38 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Bismarck Tribune says Augie to the Summit, St Thomas to the NSIC.

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/local/nsic-commissioner-lind-confident-of-league-s-future-despite-augie/article_757207cd-aa61-51aa-a794-7d595c7d0a04.html

St Thomas might go directly to DI if the  NCAA ok’s DIII to DI moves, like it has done before.

Prediction: St. Thomas will become competitive rather quickly in the NSIC.

• 2 weeks later...

So NMSU’s AD gave an interview where he hired a big shot to get NMSU and GCU a new conference.

There is no body looking now for addition in established FBS conferences.  NDSU just did a Target Field game in preparation for FBS and expect they will try again with an actual FBS team (a MAC school as the opponent).  UND has to do what NDSU does or fall behind again.

I expect the WAC, Summit, the Southland, and the Big Sky to do some massive reconfigurations now that PFW is now gone, possibly in the next month.  The Summit is for the first time free of EST schools but needs more teams or different sports for compliance.

NMSU’s AD just gave their fans a courtesy announcement so get a head’s up.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-881999.html

47 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So NMSU’s AD gave an interview where he hired a big shot to get NMSU and GCU a new conference.

There is no body looking now for addition in established FBS conferences.  NDSU just did a Target Field game in preparation for FBS and expect they will try again with an actual FBS team (a MAC school as the opponent).  UND has to do what NDSU does or fall behind again.

I expect the WAC, Summit, the Southland, and the Big Sky to do some massive reconfigurations now that PFW is now gone, possibly in the next month.  The Summit is for the first time free of EST schools but needs more teams or different sports for compliance.

NMSU’s AD just gave their fans a courtesy announcement so get a head’s up.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-881999.html

A UND FB game at Target Field would be an epic failure. The interest is not there. They played their season opener at home in a half full Alerus Center with tickets costing $15. How many would trek to MSP and pay 2 or 3 times that to see a game at Target Field? 

14 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

A UND FB game at Target Field would be an epic failure. The interest is not there. They played their season opener at home in a half full Alerus Center with tickets costing $15. How many would trek to MSP and pay 2 or 3 times that to see a game at Target Field? 

UND would not play a piss ant Pioneer League team like Butler.  UNI would be a more appropriate opponent because both teams would bring fans.  Even St Peter has said he wants UND fb and hockey games there.

The NDSU -Butler game was an epic failure compared to St Thomas - St John’s as it attracted more fans from both teams and was not a rout.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU just did a Target Field game in preparation for FBS and expect they will try again with an actual FBS team (a MAC school as the opponent).

How do the economics for that actually work? Unless they significantly raise ticket prices, NDSU is fine with a much smaller guarantee or Target Field takes on a much larger risk and ends up with a smaller payout, the money isn't there. Target Field paid Butler's $185K guarantee. Any FBS team will cost 3-4x that which is basically all of NDSU's take home if not more. There are only a handful of G5 teams that would move the needle enough to command a significant price increase, but those are going to come with an even higher guarantee. Not sure I buy it. 

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND would play a piss ant team like Butler.  UNI would be a more appropriate opponent because both teams would bring fans.

The NDSU -Butler game was an epic failure compared to St Thomas - St John’s as it attracted more fans from both teams and was no a rout.

UNI doesn't travel well for FB. SO maybe you would get 15,000 fans in a 38,.000 seat stadium. That is a good look for UND FB.  Even with St. Peter calling the shots, I can't see him using up one of his every other year FB games (he said hosting a FB game will not be an every year occurance) on a very risky game like UND would offer.  And ask the Twins which game was more successful. 35,000 at the NDSU where face value of most tickets were $42 to $99 ot 37,000 at a D3 game where most were in the $15 to $20 range? Plus I am going to guess concessions at the NDSU game may have outpaced the St. Johns St. Thomas game. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

How do the economics for that actually work? Unless they significantly raise ticket prices, NDSU is fine with a much smaller guarantee or Target Field takes on a much larger risk and ends up with a smaller payout, the money isn't there. Target Field paid Butler's $185K guarantee. Any FBS team will cost 3-4x that which is basically all of NDSU's take home if not more. There are only a handful of G5 teams that would move the needle enough to command a significant price increase, but those are going to come with an even higher guarantee. Not sure I buy it. 

When NDSU goes FBS and needs attendance to qualify, a 35,000 paid audience helps in case the season is a disaster ( FargoDome roof caves in)..  Maybe it even goes to the Wells Fargo stadium.  NIU would be a natural, as they haven’t been drawing well late in their season when it’s cold and wet.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

NDSU came home with close to a million dollars from the Target Field game and like you said, didn't have to pay the Butler guarantee.  

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

When NDSU goes FBS and needs attendance to qualify, a 35,000 paid audience helps in case the season is a disaster ( FargoDome roof caves in)..  Maybe it even goes to the Wells Fargo stadium.  NIU would be a natural, as they haven’t been drawing well late in their season when it’s cold and wet.

That doesn't answer the question on how the economics work unless you are insinuating NDSU is the one that takes the lower pay. But I can't see them risking playing the game late in the year especially with the uncertainty of playoffs and they aren't going to want to battle either, so your last scenario doesn't hold water. 

1 minute ago, nd1sufan said:

NDSU came home with close to a million dollars from the Target Field game and like you said, didn't have to pay the Butler guarantee.  

That number is significantly higher than what I've heard, have any sources to back that up? 

I also think you overestimated the average cost of tickets but whatever. I don't think there is room to increase them without a big name opponent. And there were plenty of tickets sold for under $40.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU has met the FBS qualifications for attendence for m any years at the Fargodome without a 35,000 attendance at Target Field. It is UND that needs to pad their attendance to qualify.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That number is significantly higher than what I've heard, have any sources to back that up? 

They were saying the Twins guaranteed NDSU $600,000 with 30,000 tickets sold. It would go up from there. Plus, they got some of the merchandise and a small share of concessions. 

23 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

They were saying the Twins guaranteed NDSU $600,000 with 30,000 tickets sold. It would go up from there. Plus, they got some of the merchandise and a small share of concessions. 

My understanding is the final number was much closer to $600K than $1 million if it even broke the former once everything is sorted out. There were plenty of comp tickets and cheap tickets sold the last week or two that didn't move the needle much for either side. Impressive showing regardless and everyone came out happy. 

Regardless, my point is the isn't a bunch of extra revenue for everyone to come out happy a second time by paying a G5 a significantly larger guarantee as I don't think there is a legitimate name that will  move the needle enough to allow for the increased ticket prices needed to keep all sides happy. The same game with another subpar opponent won't draw nearly as well. 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

My understanding is the final number was much closer to $600K than $1 million if it even broke the former once everything is sorted out. There were plenty of comp tickets and cheap tickets sold the last week or two that didn't move the needle much for either side. Impressive showing regardless and everyone came out happy. 

Regardless, my point is the isn't a bunch of extra revenue for everyone to come out happy a second time by paying a G5 a significantly larger guarantee as I don't think there is a legitimate name that will  move the needle enough to allow for the increased ticket prices needed to keep all sides happy. The same game with another subpar opponent won't draw nearly as well. 

If they could get a MWC team, like Wyoming or Fresno or Colorado State, they could double ticket prices and fill the stadium. I don’t think a MAC school would be as attractive.

38 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I also think you overestimated the average cost of tickets but whatever. I don't think there is room to increase them without a big name opponent. And there were plenty of tickets sold for under $40.

When I looked at getting tickets a couple of weeks ago, I would estimate about half the seats were in the $42 to $99 range, with the vast majority of the rest $35. Not that many less than that. I think an average of the 35,000 sold would be in the $40 to $45 range conservatively.

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Anyone else remember the WAC of the 90s? Decent conference, not a powerhouse but good matchups. My how that conference fell after the Mountain West was formed. 

BYU tried to save it so BYU could have a decent conference, but Fresno St and Nevada left anyway, not wanting to be subservient to BYU.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, nd1sufan said:

If they could get a MWC team, like Wyoming or Fresno or Colorado State, they could double ticket prices and fill the stadium. I don’t think a MAC school would be as attractive.

Wyoming wouldn’t waste their time playing a second tier team in a destination game. Sorry but even Wyoming is too good to bother accommodating NDSU. Even though NDSU has beat more P5 teams in the last 15 years than WY

If NDSU want to build on the Target Field game they will need to schedule a popular FCS team. No FBS team would bother to stoop to that level.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Wyoming wouldn’t waste their time playing a second tier team in a destination game. Sorry but even Wyoming is too good to bother accommodating NDSU. Even though NDSU has beat more P5 teams in the last 15 years than WY

If NDSU want to build on the Target Field game they will need to schedule a popular FCS team. No FBS team would bother to stoop to that level.

I didn't suggest they should try to or that any G5 team would play NDSU, at Target Field, the Fargodome or at their own stadium for that matter. No G5 team will schedule NDSU period because they will get beat. SV said they NDSU would try to schedule a G5 team at Target Field next time. It is not that a G5 team would be afraid to stoop to the NDSU level, it is that they know they would get beat.