SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I have no desire to see Summit football, not sure why Hawk fans want that.  Would prefer to remain connected to the MVC football schools.

also, I have no desire to form a conference with MT, MT St, Idaho, etc.   if I was going to join a western conf, I’d only do it for the MWC.

This board reads like und should have just stayed in the Big Sky.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/27/charley-walters-higher-payroll-with-more-wins-is-part-of-the-deal-for-twins-pohlad/

Only posting this for this blurb

A little birdie says St. Thomas, ousted by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association, could end up in the Division I Pioneer League for football and the Division I Summit League for its other sports. The university recently hired two assistant athletics directors.

Said it once, say it again:  If you can find a way to expedite St. Thomas to D1,  take them over Augie and don't look back

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Herd said:

I have no desire to see Summit football, not sure why Hawk fans want that.  Would prefer to remain connected to the MVC football schools.

also, I have no desire to form a conference with MT, MT St, Idaho, etc.   if I was going to join a western conf, I’d only do it for the MWC.

This board reads like und should have just stayed in the Big Sky.

The Summit should play 3d chess, and find a way to use football as a wedge to break apart the MVFC (public/private) within the next 10 - 20 years.  The MVC isn't what it used to be, and it will likely be just another one bid basketball league going forward. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

The Summit should play 3d chess, and find a way to use football as a wedge to break apart the MVFC (public/private) within the next 10 - 20 years.  The MVC isn't what it used to be, and it will likely be just another one bid basketball league going forward. 

If the Summit starts football, that will leave the MVC with 5 scholarship football schools and Youngstown, and who knows if Youngstown would stick around.  That will drive the MVC to invite 2-3 teams to the MVC, which in turn might come from the Summit.   That could result in destabilizing the Summit.  

If the desire is 2 weaker football conference, and a destabilized Summit League, yes by all means start Summit football.  Bad idea for the Lesgue.

39 minutes ago, Herd said:

If the Summit starts football, that will leave the MVC with 5 scholarship football schools and Youngstown, and who knows if Youngstown would stick around.  That will drive the MVC to invite 2-3 teams to the MVC, which in turn might come from the Summit.   That could result in destabilizing the Summit.  

If the desire is 2 weaker football conference, and a destabilized Summit League, yes by all means start Summit football.  Bad idea for the Lesgue.

I'm not saying the Summit starts football NOW, but it should at least be on their radar.   It wouldn't hurt the conference to plan for the future strategically, while at the same time waiting to see how things play out.  For instance, if the Summit can improve in basketball over the next 5-10 years, and the MVC starts to slip, maybe the Summit, with a successful basketball tournament and the leverage from football, can entice a few of the MVC schools to come over with football.  Going from a one bid league to a one big league wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world.  A perfect scenario for this would be if the G5 ever splits, and the top of the FCS has a chance to "move up", then football would have a bigger influence in MVC athletic departments than it currently does.  If it goes as you say, and the MVC poaches Summit schools, maybe the Dakotas finally get an invite to the Valley.  If not all of the Dakotas, probably for sure NDSU.  Win-win for you!   

Oh yeah.  SIU, Ind St, and W Illinois are not worthy of the Dakotas as they are all going broke and can’t compete academically within their own states.  Illinois St has been looking for an FBS invite from the MAC for forty years.  When the MVFC loses the Dakotas, they would have to look at Grand Valley St, Wayne St, Robert Morris, and Murray St.

Trolls just never understand that the MVC considers NDSU and SDSU trash schools academically, so they would never get an invite.  The MVC isn’t going to invite country hicks to their country club as AG schools are trash to them.  NMSU was the last AG school and they haven’t been knocking in the MVC door again since they dropped FBS even when they badly needed options.

56 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My dream would have been adding NMSU

But alas.... 

OMG, bite your tongue.  UND, the Harvard of the Upper Midwest, should never stoop as low as being in the same conference as an AG school like NMSU...  Where are your standards???

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

OMG, bite your tongue.  UND, the Harvard of the Upper Midwest, should never stoop as low as being in the same conference as an AG school like NMSU...  Where are your standards???

Above Augustana. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Oh yeah.  SIU, Ind St, and W Illinois are not worthy of the Dakotas as they are all going broke and can’t compete academically within their own states.  Illinois St has been looking for an FBS invite from the MAC for forty years.  When the MVFC loses the Dakotas, they would have to look at Grand Valley St, Wayne St, Robert Morris, and Murray St.

Trolls just never understand that the MVC considers NDSU and SDSU trash schools academically, so they would never get an invite.  The MVC isn’t going to invite country hicks to their country club as AG schools are trash to them.  NMSU was the last AG school and they haven’t been knocking in the MVC door again since they dropped FBS even when they badly needed options.

So what do MVC schools think of Missouri State, Illinois State, SIU, etc? Do they consider those schools trash schools because they have Colleges of AG?  Why wouldn't they vote those hick schools out and add the elite UND's and USD's? 

23 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

NDSU and SDSU lust for Montana St and Idaho because they are two of the last AG schools that aren’t in a major conference.  NMSU isn’t either, but they want a Texas or California based conference with others mixed in badly, like the Big West used to be. 

18 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

So what do MVC schools think of Missouri State, Illinois State, SIU, etc? Do they consider those schools trash schools because they have Colleges of AG?  Why wouldn't they vote those hick schools out and add the elite UND's and USD's? 

Those are all former normal schools like St Cloud St and Moorhead.  Agriculture schools there are only byproducts of enrollment growth.. U of Illinois and U of Missouri are the true AG schools, like an U of Minnesota and U of Wisconsin.

Illinois St is based in Normal for a reason, as the town got named after the school.

The trolls don’t know anything again.

55 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Those are all former normal schools like St Cloud St and Moorhead.  Agriculture schools there are only byproducts of enrollment growth.. U of Illinois and U of Missouri are the true AG schools, like an U of Minnesota and U of Wisconsin.

The trolls don’t know anything again.

OMXyX6K.jpg

10 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I'm pretty sure none of those are ag schools. Easy mistake to make though.

So all these bozoville fans that believe they are the next MWC member:  the MWC might drop Hawaii and San Jose St to get to 10, which guarantees rivalries games and gives better CFP payouts.

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/25/is-contraction-the-answer-to-mountain-west-survival/

27 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So all these bozoville fans that believe they are the next MWC member:  the MWC might drop Hawaii and San Jose St to get to 10, which guarantees rivalries games and gives better CFP payouts.

https://mwwire.com/2019/07/25/is-contraction-the-answer-to-mountain-west-survival/

The remaining MWC presidents are really just trying to make room for the xdsu's.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Nobody but lakes and you are touting the MWC.  Coincidence?

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

Nobody but lakes and you are touting the MWC.  Coincidence?

Never once said NDSU had a chance for the MWC unless that conference loses half its members that pay the bills or help it get better TV contracts.  Fargo would have to quadruple in population and its arena and stadium would have to be near pro quality.  SDSU has even less of a chance.  But there are several posters on Bozoville that tout the remote possibility.  It has almost nothing to do with FCS championships.

As far as Summit football, some people with brains don’t want the Summit to lose an autobid because it doesn’t have enough men’s soccer or baseball teams, so substitute football for it.  But no, minds like yours are absolutely opposed to that.  It has never sunk in to your skull that the Summit is in trouble if PUFW leaves with its men’s soccer and baseball teams, even after years of explaining that.  Ditto for W Illinois and ORU.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Never once said NDSU had a chance for the MWC unless that conference loses half its members that pay the bills or help it get better TV contracts.  Fargo would have to quadruple in population and its arena and stadium would have to be near pro quality.  SDSU has even less of a chance.  But there are several posters on Bozoville that tout the remote possibility.  It has almost nothing to do with FCS championships.

As far as Summit football, some people with brains don’t want the Summit to lose an autobid because it doesn’t have enough men’s soccer or baseball teams, so substitute football for it.  But no, minds like yours are absolutely opposed to that.  It has never sunk in to your skull that the Summit is in trouble if PUFW leaves with its men’s soccer and baseball teams, even after years of explaining that.  Ditto for W Illinois and ORU.

No but you keep saying we are looking to join the  mwc. It bs.

As far as the summit? It's not a worry of mine. I will let you beat that dead horse.

1 minute ago, bison73 said:

As far as the summit? It's not a worry of mine. I will let you beat that dead horse.

Frankly, it should be if you care about anything other than football. I don't buy all the crazy movements predicted but it is ignorant to ignore how close to the edge the Summit is regarding the MBB autobid and that they have already had to use a waiver a few years back to keep it while Omaha finished their transition.