SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

8 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

UNC and Augie

A few random thoughts...

NCC 2.0 would be infinitely better than the dumpster fire that the Summit has been. There may be some stability in getting the band back together. Add a couple Minnesota move-ups like St Thomas, who was an original NCC founding member, and late 20th Century conference mate MN State, and you might be able to sustain a league for more than 2 years.

The Big Sky may have been a large geographic footprint, but it is a stable conference that is in no danger of losing its auto bids. Was it short-sighted for UND to leave the BSC? It would be great if SV’s realignment model could possibly happen. A conference of the northern research institutions (either FCS or FBS) would be an ideal scenario. But as Sica said, there are so many moving parts... 

Do (some of) the Bison posters not realize that losing the baseball autobid also means that the Summit loses the basketball autobid? I don’t trust the NCAA to offer small/mid-major schools an invitation to March Madness without a conference championship to obligate them. That is the one time that the NCAA gives money back to the conferences/schools.

NMSU wants a Texas-California based conference for enrollment purposes.  They would never consider a Dakota based one and still want an FBS conference, which the WAC can patch together.

UNC has moved beyond a Dakota conference, as even a Big Sky smaller one is to their liking.  Denver probably doesn't want them in the Summit.

On a bizon radio program, GCU was said to be rejected by all the Dakotas based on USD's AD.

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Can't the Summit just pay UNC to bring their baseball over?  Give them an annual subsidy for 5 years or something.   They could use the money.

At least one of baseball or men's soccer must be six full members.  Eastern Illinois is right now a men's soccer school so baseball must have six full members.

24 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

At least one of baseball or men's soccer must be six full members.  Eastern Illinois is right now a men's soccer school so baseball must have six full members.

Gotcha.  Thanks.

This is interesting - I see St. Thomas in the Summit's future... http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4550.93375

Could also mean that they are going d2 for everything but hockey I guess.

Edit: The rule is that all of the qualifying sports need to have 6 members, right?  Do they already have a waiver?  If so, neither of us know if the NCAA would grant another.  Perhaps they would.

The NCAA rules state that two male team sports must be offered from full members in the conference.  And then a later section states that conferences without fb must offer a third male team sport too.  This is the one that can have an affiliate member to satisfy the six teams.

24 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NCAA rules state that two male team sports must be offered from full members in the conference.  And then a later section states that conferences without fb must offer a third male team sport too.  This is the one that can have an affiliate member to satisfy the six teams.

They can also issue endless waivers to allow for compliance or just turn a blind eye like they do with the FBS attendance requirements.

My opinion:
-There will continue to be some movement, but it will be small. Either Augie or St. Thomas (possibly both) will end up in the Summit. If St. Thomas pursues D1, they will get a waiver to skip D2 or shorten their transition.
-Plausible UNC brings their baseball team over and maybe Douple won't screw up and actually look at their application this time though the honestly might be better off in the WAC due to location of the schools and affiliates.
-NMSU remains a wild card. The WAC will be down to 7 full time members and Chicago St, who is beyond life-support at this time is one of those. 
-No one is actually sure if the "WAC is an FBS member" even still holds true anymore. It was mentioned that it might be a possibility in a study years ago and that hypothetical, which hasn't been tested, remains the hinge. On top of that, NMSU is literally the only school remaining in the conference who has a football team (future member Dixie St will be an FCS independent once they join). The logistics of what has been suggested aren't based in any factual conversations that have taken place other than some feelers that may have been thrown out 5+ years ago. Many of those schools have zero desire and/or financial capabilities to make the changes. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I may have missed it, but where, specifically, does it mention the affiliate?

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D119.pdf

A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements: (Adopted:1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(a) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 Division I sports;
(b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In
addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A
minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor
five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports; and
(c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports, one of which shall be women’s basketball.
In addition to women’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women’s team sports. A
minimum of seven members shall sponsor women’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor
five other sports, including two additional women’s team sports

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I may have missed it, but where, specifically, does it mention the affiliate?

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D119.pdf

A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements: (Adopted:1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In
addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A
minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor
five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports; and
(c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports, one of which shall be women’s basketball.
In addition to women’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women’s team sports. A
minimum of seven members shall sponsor women’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor
five other sports, including two additional women’s team sports

There was legal precedence from another conference. 

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There was legal precedence from another conference. 

42 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So you lied or were wrong?

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

So you lied or were wrong?

When I got in an argument with Hammersmith that the Summit needed three male team sports, he insisted I was wrong.  At that time, the third team sport was listed elsewhere in the rules, but it was there.  Perhaps it was the old rules rewritten for clarity.   Looks like men’s soccer is in trouble too, and no possible add includes them except WAC schools.

Can you check that the WAC can still make FBS invites?

So discounting as a future member Western Illinois which is very financially stressed, 

looks the the Summit needs three football teams (look west) or two baseball and men’s soccer teams (take from the WAC) or force UND and USD to add men’s soccer and baseball and the requisite women’s sports.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So discounting as a future member Western Illinois which is very financially stressed, 

looks the the Summit needs three football teams (look west) or two baseball and men’s soccer teams (take from the WAC) or force UND and USD to add men’s soccer and baseball and the requisite women’s sports.

What they actually "need" is a sixth soccer and baseball team sometime in the next 3 years (and it can be an affiliate until you can actually prove otherwise, ByLaw 20.02.5 below does not back up your claim). And considering how they handled it last time, they might not even need the teams, just a plan for them. Anything else is pure speculation, particularly the football scenario. 

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men’s and women’s basketball. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.2 Sports Sponsorship. A multisport conference shall satisfy the following requirements: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(b) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports, one of which shall be men’s basketball. In addition to men’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor football or two other men’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor men’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including football or two additional men’s team sports; and
(c) The conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports, one of which shall be women’s basketball. In addition to women’s basketball, the conference shall sponsor two other women’s team sports. A minimum of seven members shall sponsor women’s basketball. A minimum of six members shall sponsor five other sports, including two additional women’s team sports (or a minimum of five members for an emerging sport for women).

20.02.5.3 Regular-Season Conference Competition. Multisport conference members shall participate in regular-season conference competition, subject to the following requirements: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(a) Basketball teams shall participate in a regular-season conference schedule of a double round robin, inseason competition, or a minimum of 14 regular-season conference contests; (b) In football or in a minimum of two men’s team sports other than men’s basketball [as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2-
(b), teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue; and
(c) In a minimum of two women’s team sports other than women’s basketball (as required in Bylaw 20.02.5.2), teams shall compete in a minimum regular-season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular-season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home venue.

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

20.02.5.5 Grace Period. A conference shall continue to be considered a multisport conference for two years following the date of withdrawal of the institution(s) that causes the conference’s noncompliance with the minimum multisport conference requirements. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

• Upvote 1

I am really curious to hear what the convoluted explanation for why this little tidbit doesn't matter.....

20.02.6 Football Bowl Subdivision Conference.

20.02.6.2 Grace Period. A conference shall continue to be considered a Football Bowl Subdivision conference for two years following the date when it fails to satisfy the eight full Football Bowl Subdivision member requirement due to one or more of its member’s failure to comply with the bowl subdivision membership requirements. (Adopted: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)

When is the last time the WAC satisfied the FBS Conference requirement? 2012? Somehow their grace period goes on indefinitely despite the bylaws stating it is being 5 years and counting outside of that? But I'm sure the rest of the FBS Conferences will be more than happy to look the other way and split the pie even further, particularly the crumbs the G5 already gets.

That doesn't even touch on how all these teams moving up are going to magically reach the 15,000 attendance mark which is a requirement to be an FBS member, though its obviously "overlooked" for some existing FBS members.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I am really curious to hear what the convoluted explanation for why this little tidbit doesn't matter.....

When is the last time the WAC satisfied the FBS Conference requirement? 2012? Somehow their grace period goes on indefinitely despite the bylaws stating it is being 5 years and counting outside of that? But I'm sure the rest of the FBS Conferences will be more than happy to look the other way and split the pie even further, particularly the crumbs the G5 already gets.

That doesn't even touch on how all these teams moving up are going to magically reach the 15,000 attendance mark which is a requirement to be an FBS member, though its obviously "overlooked" for some existing FBS members.

There was a rule allowing any conference that used to be FBS grant FBS membership that was perpetual.  This rule was put in after 2012.

The WAC is the only conference that it would apply to, as the MVC and Big West and Ivy were not officially FBS in the 70’s.  FBS only came into affect later.

This set of rules doesn’t look up to date.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

It's literally copy and pasted from the 2018-19 NCAA handbook. Feel free to find something in there that disputes it, I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong on that (but the seismic shift you described still isn't happening).

Regardless, not sure how they can grant FBS membership, when by rule, they no longer qualify as an FBS conference as they have been out of compliance for way over the two year grace period. Again, it shouldn't be hard to provide actual documentation from the NCAA showing their own handbook is incorrect. 

Liberty moving to FBS actually disputes that.  A conference is so much easier financially to move up because they wouldn’t have to pay major prices to other FBS teams to transition.  

Liberty got the exemption because if it went to court, Liberty would have won with major $’s because it’s an antitrust violation.

There were some proposed rules passing around, and may have thought they were final.

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What they actually "need" is a sixth soccer and baseball team sometime in the next 3 years (and it can be an affiliate until you can actually prove otherwise, ByLaw 20.02.5 below does not back up your claim). And considering how they handled it last time, they might not even need the teams, just a plan for them. Anything else is pure speculation, particularly the football scenario. 

The three sections that apply to the situation are: 18.5, 20.02.5 & 31.3.4. Of the three, 18.5 is the most on-point for the discussion of autobids. None of the three sections appear to specifically exclude affiliate members from counting towards automatic qualifiers(maybe in basketball only). Here is all of it. Sorry it's so long, but it's the NCAA and it was likely written by lawyers.

Personally, I agree with several of you and suspect the plan is to add Augie and get a waiver to cover the 2-ish years needed, with the backup plan being going for UNC for baseball only. Or maybe the priority is reversed and the Summit will go for UNC first.

18.5 Automatic Qualification by Conference.

18.5.1 Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06) (a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is sought; and (b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in Bylaw 31.3.4.

18.5.2 National Collegiate Championship. [#] To be eligible for automatic qualification into any National Collegiate Championship, a conference shall: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06) (a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division; (b) Meet all applicable requirements for conference automatic qualification into any National Collegiate Championship as set forth in Bylaw 31.3.4.

18.5.3 Men’s Basketball Eligibility Requirements. For automatic qualification in the sport of men’s basketball in Division I, a conference shall meet the following additional requirements: (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91) (a) It shall determine a conference champion in at least six men’s sports [at least two of which must be team sports as set forth in Bylaw 31.3.4.1-(a)]; and in each of these six sports, at least six of the conference’s member institutions shall sponsor the sport on the varsity intercollegiate level; and (b) It shall conduct double round-robin, in-season conference competition, or a minimum of 14 conference games, before declaring its champion in basketball.

20.02.5 is listed above.

31.3.4 Automatic Qualification. Each governing sport committee shall forward annually to the applicable sport oversight committee or the Competition Oversight Committee those conferences that should receive automatic qualification for their teams or individual student-athletes into NCAA championships. Prior to forwarding the list of conferences to receive automatic qualification, a governing sport committee shall ensure that the member conference meets the requirements specified in Bylaws 31.3.4.1 through 31.3.4.7. A member conference may appeal to the applicable sport oversight committee or the Competition Oversight Committee the automatic qualification review of the sport committee and the committee’s decision to find, or not find, a conference qualified for automatic-qualification status. The decision on such appeals will be final. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/27/00, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 8/7/14, 10/4/17)

31.3.4.1 Requirements—Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification in a Division Championship, a member conference must meet the following requirements: (Revised: 12/9/91, 8/13/93, 12/5/94, 10/18/95, 10/27/98, 4/20/99, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06) 2018-19 Division I – August 31 Executive Regulations 408

(a) Conference competition must be conducted in the applicable sport and the conference champion in that sport must be determined not later than the date on which participants are selected for the NCAA championship, either by regular in-season conference competition or a conference meet or tournament, as indicated at the time of application. If a conference’s competition to determine its automatic qualifier is unexpectedly terminated (e.g., due to inclement weather), the conference may designate its qualifier, provided it has established objective criteria for making that designation and has communicated that information to the appropriate sports committee by a specified deadline.

(b) In the event of a tie for the conference championship, the conference shall have the responsibility of determining which team or individual shall represent the conference in NCAA competition. If a play-off is held, such competition shall be considered conference competition, not NCAA competition.

(c) In sports other than championship subdivision football, a conference may establish subdivisions and conduct competition within each subdivision to determine a conference champion, as long as each subdivision consists of at least four members. Conferences with subdivisions of four members must conduct double round-robin competition within each subdivision, plus a postseason tournament, to determine their champion. Conferences with subdivisions of five or more members may conduct either single or double round-robin competition within each subdivision, plus a postseason tournament to determine their champion. (Note: This regulation does not apply to Division I men’s or women’s basketball. In those sports, a conference may conduct either double round-robin, in-season competition, or a minimum of 14 conference games in order to determine its champion.)

(d) In championship subdivision football, football-playing conferences that subdivide into five or more teams are required to conduct a single round-robin competition within each division and develop a formula for determination of the conference champion, which must be approved by the Football Championship Committee prior to the start of the season. A postseason championship game is not required.

(e) The conference must maintain and actively enforce compliance with eligibility rules at least as stringent as those in Bylaw 14 applicable to its members. The use of an ineligible student-athlete by a team in a conference that has been granted automatic qualification may result in the involved team being denied the right to be the automatic entry in the NCAA championship. The governing sports committee may recommend loss of the automatic-qualification privilege for the conference during the season in which the violation occurred or for a future championship.

(f) All eligible member institutions must agree to participate in the appropriate NCAA championship. If a conference champion is ineligible to compete, declines to compete or cannot compete for any reason, automatic qualification shall be withdrawn for that year and the remaining conference members shall be considered at large. Automatic qualification for a conference shall not be withdrawn if a conference champion declines to compete in an NCAA championship for reasons related to written religious policies against competition on certain days. Under such circumstances, the conference’s second-place team (as determined by the conference) shall receive the automatic bid to the NCAA championship.

(g) All institutions may hold membership in only that conference in the sport in which automatic qualification is sought and may participate in only that conference’s process to determine the automatic qualifier.

31.3.4.2 Requirements—National Collegiate Championship. [#] To be eligible for automatic qualification in a National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (Note: A provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member may not be used to meet the requisite number.);

(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;

(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and

(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.

31.3.4.3 Notification—Automatic Qualification in Jeopardy. A governing sports committee must issue a written warning one year in advance to a conference that is in jeopardy of losing its automatic qualification. (Note: This regulation does not apply to championships in which a play-in system has been established.)

31.3.4.4 Additional Requirements—Sports Other Than Basketball.

31.3.4.4.1 Multisport Conference. To be considered eligible for automatic qualification in a particular sport, a multisport conference (see Bylaw 20.02.5) must be a core conference (see Bylaw 31.02.3) and must include six institutions that sponsor the sport and conduct conference competition together. (Revised: 4/27/00 10/00, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 8/5/04, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

31.3.4.4.2 Single-Sport Conference. To be considered for automatic qualification in a particular sport, a single-sport member conference for a sport sponsored by less than 50 percent of the Division I membership must include six institutions that have conducted conference competition together the preceding two years in the sport in question at the Division I level. (Adopted: 8/5/04, Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06) 2018-19 Division I – August 31 Executive Regulations 409

31.3.4.4.3 Grace Period. A conference shall remain eligible for automatic qualification for two years following the date of the withdrawal of the institution(s) that causes the conference’s membership to fall below six institutions that sponsor the sport and conduct conference competition together provided the conference maintains at least five Division I members. (Adopted: 8/5/04, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

31.3.4.5 Additional Requirements—Basketball. To be considered eligible for automatic qualification in basketball, a member conference must be a core conference (see Bylaw 31.02.3) and must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5. (Revised: 8/14/90, 12/3/90, 4/27/00, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

31.3.4.5.1 Grace Period. A conference shall remain eligible for automatic qualification for two years following the date of withdrawal of the institution(s) that causes the conference’s membership to fall below seven institutions that sponsor the sport and conduct conference competition together, provided the conference maintains at least six Division I members (see Bylaw 20.02.5). (Adopted: 4/27/00, Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

31.3.4.6 Sports Groupings for Automatic Qualification. For purposes of evaluating criteria for automatic qualification, the various sports shall be grouped as follows: (Revised: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 8/7/14, 10/4/17)

(a) Team Sports—baseball, basketball, bowling, field hockey, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, softball, volleyball and water polo. In this category, subject to the approval of the applicable sport oversight committee or the Competition Oversight Committee, a sport committee may grant exceptions to the six-team requirement for sports that are sponsored by less than 30 percent of the membership, provided the conference previously included six teams that sponsored the sport;

(b) Timed Individual Sports—indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, and swimming; and

(c) Other Individual Sports—cross country, fencing, golf, gymnastics, rifle, skiing, tennis and wrestling. In this category, a sports committee may grant exceptions to the six-team requirement, subject to the approval of the applicable sport oversight committee or the Competition Oversight Committee.

31.3.4.7 Limitations on Automatic-Qualifying Positions.

31.3.4.7.1 Team Sports Other Than Men’s Basketball. In team sports, per Bylaw 31.3.4.6-(a), excluding football and any team sport in which automatic qualification is not offered, the sport committee must award, if a sufficient number of applications for automatic qualification exist, at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria and provide play-in criteria. In sports other than men’s volleyball, men’s water polo and women’s water polo, the remaining 50 percent of the championship field shall be reserved for at-large teams. It will be the responsibility of the applicable sport oversight committee or the Competition Oversight Committee to determine if a conference play-in to a championship field is to be administered by the NCAA championships staff or by the member conference. (Adopted: 4/20/99, Revised: 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 8/7/14, 10/4/17)

31.3.4.7.2 Men’s Basketball. In men’s basketball, subject to the championships-access guarantee afforded to the subdivisions as set forth in Constitution 4.01.2.3.1 (e.g., all contests that are part of the championship shall be administered and funded by the NCAA and broadcast on television and any team that participates in the championship shall be awarded at least one financial unit), there shall be a minimum of 34 at-large selections and the remainder of the championship field automatic-qualifying positions. All competition in the championship is to be administered by the NCAA championships staff. (Adopted: 4/20/99, Revised: 12/15/06)

31.3.5 Selection of Balance of Championship Field. Once the official representative(s) of each qualifying conference is determined, the governing sports committee responsible for selection of the balance of the championship field shall consider objectively and without prejudice the competitive records of all other eligible student-athletes and teams (including representatives of the other members of the conferences receiving automatic qualification). To the best of its ability, the committee shall select the most highly qualified individuals and teams to complete the championship field in accordance with the regional structure, if any, approved for the particular championship.

31.3.6 Institution Trademarks. Participation in a national collegiate championship constitutes acquiescence by the member institution that the Association may use the institution’s name, mascot and other identifying marks in championship-related activities, including television, promotion, licensing and merchandising programs incident to the championship. Revenues derived from such activities, less expenses, will be remitted to the member institution. (Revised: 11/3/93)

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The simplest solution is to invite back Chicago St.  They have the correct sports and would be a good travel partner for Western Illinois.  But the Presidents will never go for them.

Chi St and WIU will be forced down to DII rather soon ( years).

Terrible idea, Chicago State.   Just secure necessary waiver until Augustana is on board.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Terrible idea, Chicago State.   Just secure necessary waiver until Augustana is on board.

Hopefully they add Mayville State as a full member given their baseball team while they’re at it.  

Then rename this thing The Nadir Conference, and we just might be onto something. 

23 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So according to you, the Summit just needs to add the NCHC with Arizona St (making six DI members) and call it a day if Northern Colorado joins for baseball only.

The NCAA has ruled on affiliate members for a conference to maintain its autobid.  America East now requires lacrosse for new members for this autobid reason as they don’t sponsor football, although schools within have football in the CAA.   This all could have been avoided if the Summit required UMKC to add baseball as they promised before they left for the WAC.  Call it a failure of Douple if you want.  But sure the Summit Presidents know more than any on this board do.

A second male team sport could be volleyball, which needs only four scholarships and is a spring sport.  So in your world, the two male team sports are ice hockey and volleyball.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NCAA has ruled on affiliate members for a conference to maintain its autobid.

Please provide a source for this. Not saying it's right or wrong, but the NCAA manual, in its incredible length, does not make this distinction. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Please provide a source for this. Not saying it's right or wrong, but the NCAA manual, in its incredible length, does not make this distinction. 

Some lawyers on CSNBBS said this.  Am not a lawyer and won’t go searching for legal documents.

The Summit has said nothing about needing ORU back to get in compliance as retuned both sports to six conference members after a two year grace period.  It was a bigger deal than their fans know about.

The American East currently sponsors three team sports:  lacrosse, baseball, and men’s soccer in addition to having hockey and football and of course basketball teams.  Maine and UNH don’t sponsor lacrosse, Vermont and UNH don’t sponsor baseball, and Maine dropped men’s soccer.  It takes into accord the tact that losing one men’s team sport won’t be disastrous as it still sponsor three men’s team sports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_East_Conference

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Some lawyers on CSNBBS said this.  Am not a lawyer and won’t go searching for legal documents.

Should be easy enough to link the comments then. I'd be interested to see what these self-proclaimed "message board lawyers" have to say. 

When making an assertion that contradicts the actual official manual of the NCAA, you think it would be simple enough to back up your claim and actually give a little bit more credibility to your theories.

• Upvote 2