SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

10 minutes ago, homer said:

Outside of those, my best guess would be Grand Canyon from the WAC or one of the Minnesota DII schools to move up.  Also, maybe an Augustana but I couldn't see the SD schools lobbying for that too hard. 

Grand Canyon? Gross

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Grand Canyon? Gross

Well we are going a conference with Oral Roberts????  Really..:unsure:  plus all this drama of everyone wanting to leave.  Good grief..

I guess other options could be NMSU, Little Rock, UNC or UMKC

NMSU would be a good add but they would be a constant flight risk but probably a risk worth taking. I wouldn't mind adding one MN school, that said any of those schools would likely need to pull an Omaha to make it work. UNC also has a football issue. 

I wonder how Denver would feel about GCU, a big push for them to join the Summit was because GCU joined the WAC. 

altho i just said und and ndac are attached at the hip for ...forever...what changed recently to where patty and who others decided to take und for both the summit and mvfc?  do they know that the mvc is looking/taking ndac and they needed a dakota replacement?  but if thats true don't you just leave usd/sdsu up there as is and take back umkc?  make you wonder why the tables turned so quick for und to get into the summit/mvfc?

1 hour ago, homer said:

Outside of those, my best guess would be Grand Canyon from the WAC or one of the Minnesota DII schools to move up.  Also, maybe an Augustana but I couldn't see the SD schools lobbying for that too hard. 

Lindenwood spends enormously on athletics for a DII team.  St Louis would be an ideal market to go with W Ill.  But they might want the OVC as that was SIUE's choice too.  And they have a fb team, and they could actually win in the OVC.

If a Minn DII is invited, Concordia-St Paul might get interest if they drop fb to non scholarship.  Mankato if they don't get into the NCHC.

38 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

altho i just said und and ndac are attached at the hip for ...forever...what changed recently to where patty and who others decided to take und for both the summit and mvfc?  do they know that the mvc is looking/taking ndac and they needed a dakota replacement?  but if thats true don't you just leave usd/sdsu up there as is and take back umkc?  make you wonder why the tables turned so quick for und to get into the summit/mvfc?

Murray State is a strong add in bb as they have won the OVC a lot and are a bb school.  They weren't considered last time because they didn't want the MVFC to go with 11 fb, and weren't private.  The MVC knew that Wichita St was making noise about leaving a year ago.  By January, they probably knew that Tulsa's AD had made a site visit there on behalf of the AAC.   Going to divisions means that the MVFC won't have to worry too much about the MVC east teams traveling to the Dakotas, saving money.

The MVC will probably stick with 10 members.  Belmont gets in if they want, but Valpo and Murray St otherwise.  If the MVC goes 11 or 12, NDSU is suddenly more strongly in the picture.

Agree that Denver would leave if GCU got a look, so don't know why that would even happen.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Say the Valpo/Belmont/Murray St move to MVC happens

Then the Horizon snags a Indiana summit school

What would the Summit do then? Do they ask an old member to come back in UMKC... or do they give the Montana schools their wanting gift of removing UNC, providing they get FB figured out.

As I said last week, if you add UNC, you then have 6 schools playing football. You could start Summit football. 

6 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

As I said last week, if you add UNC, you then have 6 schools playing football. You could start Summit football. 

Think the XDSU's and W Ill will block that, because they want MVFC membership, not Summit fb.  Only if the MVC fb teams actually pull out of the MVFC and start their own league would that happen.

But that move forces the Slummit to sponsor baseball and men's soccer to keep their autobid.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think the XDSU's and W Ill will block that, because they want MVFC membership, not Summit fb.  Only if the MVC fb teams actually pull out of the MVFC and start their own league would that happen.

But that move forces the Slummit to sponsor baseball and men's soccer to keep their autobid.

And add the Montanas. They see the Big Sky as a sinking ship anyway, according to their forums. 

On 4/8/2017 at 7:26 AM, darell1976 said:

scaletowidthThis is the current footprint. As you can see North Dakota isn't on the map. Big mistake if the Bison move with travel costs and budgets. They made fun of our travel problems in the Big Sky, this is almost as bad. 

Not much more travel than the Summit league

summit.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm of the opinion that NDSU's best fit for it's future is the Summit League, but thought I would look into your comment about the distances.

Fargo to each member city in the MVC:

Evansville-833
Carbondale-896
Normal-691
Peoria-687
Chicago-642
Springfield-767
Des Moines-477
Cedar Falls-450

Grand Forks to each member city in the Big Sky:

Cheney-1129
Portland-1465
Davis-1769
SLO-2003
Sacramento-1832
Flagstaff-1676
Cedar City-1415
Ogden-1180
Pocatello-1065
Greeley-910
Bozeman-817
Missoula-972

The state of North Dakota is going to be an outlier in any Division I conference that doesn't include the South Dakota schools and possibly some Minnesota schools.

IMO, the best fit for both NDSU and UND, as well as SDSU and USD is to be in the same conference moving forward.

Traditional rivals, close away games for fans. It's a good fit for all four schools IMO.

Truth.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm of the opinion that NDSU's best fit for it's future is the Summit League, but thought I would look into your comment about the distances.

Fargo to each member city in the MVC:

Evansville-833
Carbondale-896
Normal-691
Peoria-687
Chicago-642
Springfield-767
Des Moines-477
Cedar Falls-450

Grand Forks to each member city in the Big Sky:

Cheney-1129
Portland-1465
Davis-1769
SLO-2003
Sacramento-1832
Flagstaff-1676
Cedar City-1415
Ogden-1180
Pocatello-1065
Greeley-910
Bozeman-817
Missoula-972

The state of North Dakota is going to be an outlier in any Division I conference that doesn't include the South Dakota schools and possibly some Minnesota schools.

IMO, the best fit for both NDSU and UND, as well as SDSU and USD is to be in the same conference moving forward.

Traditional rivals, close away games for fans. It's a good fit for all four schools IMO.

• Upvote 2

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i still thinks back to haydu's cryptic tweet last summer about "exciting times" ahead for und athletics...people tried to say it was the tv deal, or new uni's, or new video boards at betty?

wonder if it was conference related?

Well, we did join 2 new conferences....