SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

The contract wouldn't need to be renegotiated.  It's a tier II broadcast rights contract.  Who UND plays doesn't matter, Midco would do any home games not picked up by B10 Network or any other national network.  Midco isn't getting many more viewers for B10 teams except for Minnesota.  Their viewership is UND fans.

Notre Dame retained it's own Tier 1 rights when its hockey goes to the B1G and sells them to NBC Sports Network.  The same would probably hold for UND bUT with FS1 or Fox Sports North..  The B1G games Tier 1 rights for UND could be sold to Fox Sports North of FS1. which could transfer select games to FS Michigan, FS OHIO etc. UND could still retain Midco for Tier 2 and other sports.

So Kolpack says the MVC will add Valpo, Belmont or UT Arlington to replace the Shockers.  He seems to be confusing MVC desire with mutual want.  Belmont and UTA want nothing to do with the MVC.  Being in the Belt, UTA can add FBS any time it can come up with the money.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and the only thing that will keep wih from being cut at und this week is the chance that they can will national championships (hasn't happened with brian and probably won't) but they have a legitimate shot at winning titles at the highest level.

Plus one more thing, and this is just my opinion, if the B1G is in President Kennedy's decision/vision this week. The B1G may have asked MH to join and also/possibility of WH. This announcement this week could involve changes in multiple UND sports and conference change/s in the possibility of going to the B1Ghc? There's been rumors out about the possibility of this move for quit some time. This kind of move would most definitely take some time to put together, and by the way we have had 3 Presidents as of late, and it's finally ready to be announced. 

Kolpack serving as Pravda for the Central Party Committee.
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4240837-kolpack-key-departures-closing-gap-between-summit-and-valley 

Apparently there's too much interest in the MVC and that needed to be patted down. 

OK, now that my snide cynicism is covered for a Monday, < gulp > Kolpack may have a point. 

Here's the question: Would NDSU even want to go?

I can't believe I just wrote that, but think about it. The Summit League is trending up and is adding the University of North Dakota in 2018-19. It's geographical friendly and everybody seems to be on board in investing in athletics. ...

Make no mistake, even without Wichita and Creighton, the Missouri Valley is a better basketball league than the Summit. But is a conference that includes Drake, Evansville, Loyola (Ill.) and Bradley all that appealing anymore?

Wow. Kolpack just implied that UND is more "friendly" as a conference-mate than Drake, Evansville, Loyola, and Bradley. 

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

there is something to said for being the best in the country at something whether it's bowling, or alpine skiing, or track and field...i would've taken a d1 womens hockey title this year over the womens bball team winning the bsc.

Call me sexist, but I would rather win a conference title in football and the MBB team make the tournament than the WHKY team winning a National Championship is hockey.  I am sure I am not alone.  

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Call me sexist, but I would rather win a conference title in football and the MBB team make the tournament than the WHKY team winning a National Championship is hockey.  I am sure I am not alone.  

I'd trade a WIH national championship for a single football win.

• Upvote 2

Pete Thamel has reported that Wichita State will leave the MVC for the AAC as soon as possible.  The Shockers will have a deep and experienced team next year.  If they were in the AAC, they would get a much better seed and would earn the AAC $1.6 mill for every game they won in the Dance.  They don't want to leave that payday in the MVC's possession for six years.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/wichita-state-gregg-marshall-aac-american-athletic-conference-missouri-valley-033017

A couple alignment scenarios being thrown around that would affect the Slummit:

A.  After Wichita St leaves the MVC, the MVC adds Valpo, Murray St and NDSU.  The MVC gets two strong bball school and two more full members for the MVFC.  Theoretically, the MVFC would not be needed then, and UND, SDSU, USD, W Ill and YSU would have to fend for themselves in fb.

B.  The MAC decides to decimate the MVC after the Shockers leave by taking Illinos St, UNI, Bradley and NDSU for fb only.  The MAC would get the three highest MVC bball budgets remaining and rip the MVC to shreds.  The MAC also adds JMU for fb.

Don't think either will happen, but change is inevitable.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/

Sportswriter Shatel says that UNO is very attractive to both the Horizon and MVC. He goes on to say that the Horizon might add four teams to get to 14, and there is interest in both Denver and Omaha.  Might they be attempting a takeover of the NCHC so other Horizon school add hockey?  Would UND be interested?

Horizon schools adding D1 hockey? Never gonna happen.

UND getting an invite to join the Horizon League? Never gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Horizon schools adding D1 hockey? Never gonna happen.

UND getting an invite to join the Horizon League? Never gonna happen.

Maybe it's just a veiled threat to UND by Omaha and Denver that if we go to the BIG for hockey, Denver and Omaha aren't staying in the Slummit, which Denver and Omaha can wreck havoc on by leaving.

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I don't think they would be interested or actually happen... but what if the MVC went for the jugular on the WAC?

If the MVC just took NMSU and Denver and Omaha, that would wreck two leagues, the Slummit and WAC.  Montana schools and Idaho would then get their chance to get in an FBS conference, meaning the WAC.

The WAC will barely survive a loss of Chicago St, as GCU only really counts next year.  If UMKC went too to the MVC, the WAC would need to attract a Big Sky school.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

According to a report from KAKE in Wichita, the Shockers have officially given notice to the MVC and will be joining the AAC this July 1st.  No wonder the MVC has declared an emergency meeting this Sunday.

is there a buyout and if so how much?

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is there a buyout and if so how much?

There isn't one.  Creighton didn't have to pay an exit fee, and the Shockers had a fit when the MVC was considering it.  But Wichita St won't get their share of the NCAA dance payment anymore, as those leaving early forfeit them.  Since Wichita St earned most of them, it's still a pretty big number that the Shockers will lose.  But their Final Four run payments almost are over.  MVC teams should enjoy the riches now, as there may not be there in the future.