SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

omaha would a natural fit to replace them and then here come the dominoes????

The favorite is probably Valpo,  but Ill-Chicago, Murray St, Milwaukee, UMKC and Omaha get mentioned.  NDSU might be in there if they pick three.

The MVC football and privates might be getting sick of each others antics and might chose to go big, like the old Big East, and then split into fb and bb halves.

Wichita St should also announce their FB plans, if any, soon.

Hadn't thought about that one. But if the Horizon wanted UNO and Denver, they might have enough pull to bring UND with them.  You would probably be booted from the MVFC and would need to stay in the Big Sky for Football but they would probably work that out. You could probably get Minnesota State to drop football and Come with you. 

I will preface this by saying that I never have been a fan of the Summit, but that is where UND is going unless something huge changes, so I am looking at the potential impacts for UND.

Looking at the landscape when Wichita vacates the MVC, who takes their place and what other moves are made?

Some have said Omaha is a potential choice for the MVC due to location and market.  If Omaha leaves the Summit, the Summit is once again down to 5 schools playing baseball.  Not good for BB auto-bid.  So who does the Summit bring in for baseball for the 6th team?  Northern Colorado?  They could be Denver's travel partner.

I know the MVFC fans won't like this next part.  If UNC is brought in as the 6th school for baseball, they bring football, which will mean the Summit will have 6 for football.  Summit football anyone?

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I thought I saw in a article that the president of the University of Nebraska said they could shut down UNK and still not cut enough money, but I can't find that article. 

I had not heard of the dire budget problems in Nebraska before.

“We could close the University of Nebraska [at] Kearney and still have to find $10 million,” said University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

For comparison purposes, state funding for North Dakota higher ed (not including funding for new buildings and other projects) has been cut over $100 million.  The state could've closed Lake Region, Williston, Dickinson, Mayville, Valley City, and Bottineau and still needed to find a couple million.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like Omaha is having major budget issues right now.  Does MVC/Horizon really want that?

Omaha can't afford to fund their sports at a level the MVC or Horizon would require. Shattel is just taking internet talk and passing it off as a column. Omaha are not going anywhere.

DU? They don't have the sports the Horizon need (baseball) and are way too far out of the footprint. NMSU flirted with the Horizon idea a year ago and now they seem more then happy to stay in a stronger WAC, play independent FB and hope for a shake up that gets them back into the SBC or a chance at the MWC.

I think that the MVC invite one school, UIC or Valpo and call it a day. The private schools won't want to split what is left of the Wichita money before it dries up by adding an additional 2 mouths to feed. Especially when those two additional schools would not get them an at-large NCAA invite. The MVC is dying a slow death. The public schools aren't happy, the private schools don't want to do anything to improve the conference, the conference is broken.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Omaha can't afford to fund their sports at a level the MVC or Horizon would require. Shattel is just taking internet talk and passing it off as a column. Omaha are not going anywhere.

DU? They don't have the sports the Horizon need (baseball) and are way too far out of the footprint. NMSU flirted with the Horizon idea a year ago and now they seem more then happy to stay in a stronger WAC, play independent FB and hope for a shake up that gets them back into the SBC or a chance at the MWC.

I think that the MVC invite one school, UIC or Valpo and call it a day. The private schools won't want to split what is left of the Wichita money before it dries up by adding an additional 2 mouths to feed. Especially when those two additional schools would not get them an at-large NCAA invite. The MVC is dying a slow death. The public schools aren't happy, the private schools don't want to do anything to improve the conference, the conference is broken.

Actually agree.  The Slummit and MVC should realign by fb and non fb schools. That may end up happening, but only when the dance credits even out in six years.

The Omaha/Denver Horizon talk was just hot air designed to scare UND out of a BIG hockey invite.

A Nashville TV source that says the MVC might add more than one, including  NDSU.

http://www.newschannel5.com/sports/more-conference-realignment-on-the-way-why-belmont-and-others-should-stay-put

The schools mentioned are Belmont, N Kentucky, Murray St, Valpo, NDSU and Omaha.

If the MVC takes more than one, the Slummit is screwed.  The Horizon would have to pick up schools like IUPUI and IPFW, which have always wanted out of the Slummit for the Horizon  If the MVC takes only one but the Horizon in turn takes two or more, the Slummit is again screwed.  The Slummit is only saved if the MVC and Horizon leagues only take one school each.

Faison and Kennedy would be forced back to the Big Sky or work out a deal to realign the WAC.

Try http://www.newschannel5.com/sports/

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Faison and Kennedy would be forced back to the Big Sky or work out a deal to realign the WAC.

At this point I don't see them allowing us to come back.  Not only are we winning, but most of the schools hate traveling to GF.  Or are we not officially out yet?

How much does North Dakota save by switching conferences? Originally it made sense geographically and puts us with more rivals. And honestly, despite the Slummit comments it seems to be on par strengthwise. 

That being said, it also seems to be creating more headaches (limited our options to cut sports, teams might be leaving etc). So was it worth it?  What's the concensus here?

6 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

How much does North Dakota save by switching conferences? Originally it made sense geographically and puts us with more rivals. And honestly, despite the Slummit comments it seems to be on par strengthwise. 

That being said, it also seems to be creating more headaches (limited our options to cut sports, teams might be leaving etc). So was it worth it?  What's the concensus here?

I agree that originally it made a lot of sense, but what's going on in the MVC and Horizon have made me feel a little uneasy. If multiple teams jump from the Summit we could be in trouble. Cutting sports on the other hand was a must and the ones that were chosen were ideal. UND needed to be at 16 sports, period. To sum it up, now that UND has the correct number of sports, if a nightmare scenario happens with Summit teams leaving, we should have stayed in the Big Sky. If things shake out ok, it will still be the right move, save half a million on travel a year, increase revenue by playing rivals.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

At this point I don't see them allowing us to come back.  Not only are we winning, but most of the schools hate traveling to GF.  Or are we not officially out yet?

We're not officially out yet and we haven't paid the Slummit or MVFC entrance fees.  We can get out anytime before we have to pay, unless they slipped in some fine print details.  SDSU and Boise St got out of their deals with the Big East and Big West and slipped back in the MWC without going anywhere.  Boise St gets a whole lot of revenue from the ESPN contract with the MWC to boot, as Boise St telecasts are wanted by ESPN.

Wichita St will have to pay the AAC $2.5 mill to join, which will be deducted from their AAC revenue for the next five years. Wichita St also loses their share of the dance revenue from the MVC.  The Shockers were responsible for like for 18 shares, which will steadily decline over the next six, as dance credits only last six years.  That payment this year would have been  $250k x 18 ÷ 10.  If the MVC doesn't win going forward, they will have no more credits than the Slummit or Horizon in six years.

43 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

scaletowidthThis is the current footprint. As you can see North Dakota isn't on the map. Big mistake if the Bison move with travel costs and budgets. They made fun of our travel problems in the Big Sky, this is almost as bad. 

No, that's still not remotely close to being as bad as the Big Sky. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No, that's still not remotely close to being as bad as the Big Sky. 

Wichita St flew everywhere except Mo St.  Once you get on a plane, the costs mount.  NDSU can bus to UNI and Drake, but everywhere else is a flight.  In the Slummit, only teams on I29 are bussed.