SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

49 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

How'd the loss to Richmond do for you?  3rd or 4th string qb and over 20 players out for the year do to injuries.  You must be really disappointed in the bsc. 

Simple Dimple Dan!  Bringin' it on a Monday morning.   Yah baby!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

How'd the loss to Richmond do for you?  3rd or 4th string qb and over 20 players out for the year do to injuries.  You must be really disappointed in the bsc. 

weren't james madison missing a few players too against the ndac?

• Upvote 4

talk about delusional...over on the bizon's message board they have a poll asking about which summit schools might/should/would go to the mvc which is fine... but the funny thing is they put a extra thing saying that the mvc tourney (arch madness) would alternate bt st louis and fricken sioux falls? are u kidding me?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

talk about delusional...over on the bizon's message board they have a poll asking about which summit schools might/should/would go to the mvc which is fine... but the funny thing is they put a extra thing saying that the mvc tourney (arch madness) would alternate bt st louis and fricken sioux falls? are u kidding me?

The leading vote getter is NDSU, SDSU and USD to the MVC.  No UND in there anywhere.  

Not a bias poll at all and really intelligent.

I certainly didn't listen, but a Valpo beat reporter was on the Bison radio station. He was reported to have said the MVC wants three schools:  Valpo, Belmont and NDSU.  The MVC members of the MVFC are pushing hard for six MVC football teams, so NDSU is included.  Why Murray St would be passed over is a mystery.

But Murray St almost certainly doesn't have FBS capability.  That might be part of the problem.  Longer term thinking would divide the MVC in two, with an FBS half and a pure basketball half, like the Big East split.

9 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Can you UND go back the Big Sky - please

Rather sure that Kennedy knew the MVC/Slummit would enter a period of uncertainty.  It wasn't like the Wichita St news came out of nowhere.  Maybe that why he delayed our membership and made huge cuts.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

I certainly didn't listen, but a Valpo beat reporter was on the Bison radio station. He was reported to have said the MVC wants three schools:  Valpo, Belmont and NDSU.  The MVC members of the MVFC are pushing hard for six MVC football teams, so NDSU is included.  Why Murray St would be passed over is a mystery.

But Murray St almost certainly doesn't have FBS capability.  That might be part of the problem.  Longer term thinking would divide the MVC in two, with an FBS half and a pure basketball half, like the Big East split.

Budget cuts will be coming for NDSU athletics in May.  Are hey really going to jump to a league where they will have to fly everywhere and increase all coaches salries to be above top half?   

Ill guess no.  If they do more power to them.  Leaving a one bid league for a more expensive other.  

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Budget cuts will be coming for NDSU athletics in May.  Are hey really going to jump to a league where they will have to fly everywhere and increase all coaches salries to be above top half?   

Ill guess no.  If they do more power to them.  Leaving a one bid league for a more expensive other.  

If NDSU got an invite to the MVC, I don't think there would be much to think about but I'm still very skeptical to say the least about it happening.

18 minutes ago, homer said:

If NDSU somehow gets invited, they better not hesitate to say yes.  

34 minutes ago, homer said:

I'm sure Teammakers will have an offering to the great bizon goddess for the Slummit exit fees so ndsu doesn't have to pay it.  After all, many of the tm's detest the idea of being in the same conference as UND.

The thinking of the MVC if they go to 12 is that good OOC games are near impossible to get for RPI purposes.  Better to have more internal games.

2 hours ago, FargoBison said:

If NDSU got an invite to the MVC, I don't think there would be much to think about but I'm still very skeptical to say the least about it happening.

Personally im not sure NDSU is ready to pay their basketball coach more than their football coach.  I think the MVFC schools know that   

I don't think the money is there to do so.  It's just my opinion.  There is some cuts coming in May to the athletic dept.  Just cause the Forum refuses to ask the questions doesn't mean the money tree is growing on campus.   I also think basketball attendance will fall in the MVC unless they invest like the top half of the schools in the MVC.  

I think any of the Dakota schools would be a great addition to the MVC.  If they invested their resources appropriately they would be very competitive. 

Looks like UAB would have been charged $400 k for the MVC entrance fee when that was an alternative to CUSA when they dropped fb.

The dance payment increases more than  make up for the entrance fee, unless they raise them.  Think they will be an expectation that the basketball budget goes up, but not immediately.  That is probably all being discussed.

The MVC nearly has to want three new members for NDSU to have a chance to be invited.  But if the MVFC playing MVC members could very well favor and want NDSU.  Fargo is no different from Wichita for travel, as both are far the MVC midpoint.

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Why would the private schools want to give more power to the public/football playing schools? 

Mo St and Illinois St could leave if they are not satisfied.  To where is the question?  Mo St has had Sun Belt interest in the past.  There has been a rumor that a fb school will go if it's not satisfied. That's the last thing the MVC needs now, so the privates will try to keep peace by getting three teams.

The Big East had the same quandary over private / public and fb / bb members and it finally caused a split.

There's definitely tension in the MVC over the same issue.  If St Louis or Belmont would agree, they all could be satisfied.  But strong replacements don't seem to be in the offing.

But the Nashville Tennessean now again reports that Belmont is happy where they arE.

Valpo and Murray St seem like the most viable candidates, but a 12th team is possible, and NDSU could well knab that spot.

The Big East once took Miami, which didn't even have a basketball program at the time.  The MVC might look on NDSU as its own Miami.  After all, Miami has had trouble with the law and NCAA!

1 hour ago, homer said:

Personally im not sure NDSU is ready to pay their basketball coach more than their football coach.  I think the MVFC schools know that   

I don't think the money is there to do so.  It's just my opinion.  There is some cuts coming in May to the athletic dept.  Just cause the Forum refuses to ask the questions doesn't mean the money tree is growing on campus.   I also think basketball attendance will fall in the MVC unless they invest like the top half of the schools in the MVC.  

I think any of the Dakota schools would be a great addition to the MVC.  If they invested their resources appropriately they would be very competitive. 

Looking at what is going on with the SD schools, the day is coming soon where the basketball coach will be making in the same ballpark as the football coach no matter what league NDSU is in. Unless the football program goes FBS, which I don't see happening anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Here is another one:  What if all 3 (Valpo, Belmont, and Murray State) say no?  then what?

The MVC doesn't have to go to 10 or 12.  They can stay at 9, but that creates some unevenness is scheduling.

There are other private schools well down on their list like ORU, Denver or Lipscomb or non-fb like UMKC, Omaha, Milwaukee, Green Bay etc.  But one fb school seems likely if they take 3.

7 hours ago, homer said:

Will cuts happen at NDSU or will a big donation appear to save the day?

As enticing as the MVC is for NDSU, they would be foolish to switch conferences.   UND left the Big Sky not only because of the current cuts, but because the long term costs of playing in the conference year in and year out were just too great.  Same can be said about NDSU.  Moving to the MVC would increase travel costs, force NDSU to increase the salaries of their non football sports coaches to complete with other MVC schools, and they would lose money at the gate without having traditional rivalries with UND, SDSU, and USD.  If money was no option, a move to the MVS is a no brainer if they were invited.  But unfortunately money rules all in college athletics and NDSU can't afford the move.  Plain and simple.