SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Hopefully someone has more knowledge on this than me...but it's always seemed to me that we have a major aviation school. Why not buy a big plane and have the Instructor Pilots take turns flying the teams around. Through a senior student on the flight too if need be. 

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Hopefully someone has more knowledge on this than me...but it's always seemed to me that we have a major aviation school. Why not buy a big plane and have the Instructor Pilots take turns flying the teams around. Through a senior student on the flight too if need be. 

Charter services are not cheap, even if done by UND, but are cost effective for only large groups like football.  Moving other squads like bb is cheaper by scheduled airlines.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

On Twitter, there are reports that Belmont now wants in the MVC and it will go to 10 or 12 members.  If that is true, Belmont would be the 10th, and Murray St and Valpo could be 11th and 12th.  NDSU would be out if Belmont is in.

My feeling is NDSU is not in regardless.  Unless there are a lot of "no's".  Despite some on their board believing they are getting an invite. 

1 minute ago, homer said:

My feeling is NDSU is not in regardless.  Unless there are a lot of "no's".  Despite some on their board believing they are getting an invite. 

NDSU will try to sell themselves to the MVC as a way to get access to MSP cable.  That might actually work in convincing the MVC, but it wouldn't work with MSP viewers IMHO.  If Belmont says "no", they could get a yes.

The SD's aren't interested and it would be politically suicidal for them to express interest, as the SD and Sioux Falls politicians just love the idea of the Slummit tournament.

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Curious as to why Saint Louis wouldn't be interested in going into the MVC

The Billiekens have had an open MVC invite for years.  But they want the Big East badly, and they believe the A10 positons them better for it. With Wichita St gone, no way would they even answer the phone.

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So say Belmont, Valpo and Murray all go.  How does the OVC and Horizon fill those spots (if they do)?

The OVC doesn't need to do anything.  Maybe Kennesaw St and IUPUI.  Or take Lindenwood from DII ranks.  Think the Horizon would go east to Pittsburgh and take Robert Morris.  Maybe IUPUI and IPFW would be in play.

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

scaletowidthThis is the current footprint. As you can see North Dakota isn't on the map. Big mistake if the Bison move with travel costs and budgets. They made fun of our travel problems in the Big Sky, this is almost as bad. 

with looking at this map i have a hard time believing that trev alberts isn't pushing hard to get into this conference...money issues or not

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Charter services are not cheap, even if done by UND, but are cost effective for only large groups like football.  Moving other squads like bb is cheaper by scheduled airlines.

Yes charter services are...but not if you own the pilots and the plane. It should dramatically cut down on the costs.

Shocker fans are blaming the Dakotas for forcing more football spending by MVFC schools, thereby weakening MVC basketball.  They had to get out as a result as a #10 seed for a 30-4 team shows massive disrespect by the NCAA dance committee for the MVC.

Interesting perspective.

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anyway or any how an airplane company "donates" a large/larger plant for und athletics????

Its not very cost effective to have just one large plane.  Even airlines resister diversity in planes because of pilot qualifications, spare parts, equipment needs,  etc.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This was reason #1 many were not in favor of moving to the unstable summit, and mvfc.   We're not even in the conferences yet and already need to be concerned about major changes as the ever revolving door keeps turning. 

boom...exactly.

50 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This was reason #1 many were not in favor of moving to the unstable summit, and mvfc.   We're not even in the conferences yet and already need to be concerned about major changes as the ever revolving door keeps turning. 

Unstable Summit or MVC?  First of all, the Summit is actually quite stable for Basketball and the MVC for football is also stable.  Am I missing something?  The reason that UND left the Big Sky was travel.  This is going to make the Summit and MVC more stable with teams closer.  Wichita is a one trick pony and losing them in the MVC basketball is going to hurt that conf. but that isn't UND's problem.  The move for Wichita is head scratching because they are moving from a conference that is a great bb conf. to one I don't think I have heard of. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Unstable Summit or MVC?  First of all, the Summit is actually quite stable for Basketball and the MVC for football is also stable.  Am I missing something?  The reason that UND left the Big Sky was travel.  This is going to make the Summit and MVC more stable with teams closer.  Wichita is a one trick pony and losing them in the MVC basketball is going to hurt that conf. but that isn't UND's problem.  The move for Wichita is head scratching because they are moving from a conference that is a great bb conf. to one I don't think I have heard of. 

Well with UCONN, Temple, Cincy, Houston, Memphis etc, it has most of the teams that are close to P5 status but not there yet.  It's a relatively new conference because it's the football half of the Big East when that conference got a divorce over football.

If NDSU moves on, it would be a blow to the Slummit.  If other Slummit teams get picked up, the Slummit can be on its deathbed.  The MVFC should be the same but the MVC could break it's teams off and disassociate itself from MVFC football affiliates.  

10 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

You need to spend more time following college athletics if you've never heard of the AAC. No, it doesn't have the name recognition of the B10 or any other major conference but the teams in the AAC are much higher profile than the alphabet soup that is the MVC:

Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa and Central Florida

or

Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, and Southern Illinois.

24 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

your kidding right?

• Upvote 2