SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Mediocrity is setting into the Sioux Football program. Remember, it took 4-5 years for Roger Thomas to dig us out of the 6 year hole left by Pat Burns. If things don't change and soon we need to get used to 7000 home crowds with a disinterested student body. It is telling that with a Big Sky opponent coming here for a game, the only interest in football on the Siouxsports site is this thread. If we get complacent, it will be a long black hole for Sioux Football.

Mediocrity is setting into the Sioux Football program. Remember, it took 4-5 years for Roger Thomas to dig us out of the 6 year hole left by Pat Burns. If things don't change and soon we need to get used to 7000 home crowds with a disinterested student body. It is telling that with a Big Sky opponent coming here for a game, the only interest in football on the Siouxsports site is this thread. If we get complacent, it will be a long black hole for Sioux Football.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you but your basing your interest in UND football based on what 25-50 people with fake names write on a message board. That tells me nothing other than some people have more time on their hands than others.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you could go back to Binsonville posts from 2009 and basically quote what you just posted. The glass is not half empty with the other half being filled with scheisse.

Until UND comes out hot with a 4-0 or so start and ends up with a playoff type season, ~9,000 attendance and poor student turnout will be the norm. I would love for the Alerus to be sold out every game and I think it should be, but you have to look at both sides of the issue. NDSU owns the majority of North Dakota and western Minnesota football fan interest, so that’s where the crowds go. If UND can establish themselves as being on the same level as NDSU, attendance and the general fan interest will increase. Let’s not be so ignorant and naive that we completely disregard NDSU's success; they will be the benchmark or standard many people hold for UND if they are to have general relevance. Other than the type of loyal fans, alumni, and students you see on this site and thread, most are of the idea that UND is 2nd in the state of ND when it comes to FB. That must change or be much more debatable for attendance to change.

Another way to explain this theory is with an example: If next year NDSU has a losing season and UND makes the playoffs, what do you think the average 2014 attendance numbers will be? I strongly believe NDSU would see a decrease and UND would see that increase towards the 11,000 range we all want to see. [Ag school trolls, this is just hypothetical to make a point]

Attendance between the two schools is a related dynamic. The schools are linked in terms of interest and following, whether we want to believe it or not.

• Upvote 2

Until UND comes out hot with a 4-0 or so start and ends up with a playoff type season, ~9,000 attendance and poor student turnout will be the norm. I would love for the Alerus to be sold out every game and I think it should be, but you have to look at both sides of the issue. NDSU owns the majority of North Dakota and western Minnesota football fan interest, so that’s where the crowds go. If UND can establish themselves as being on the same level as NDSU, attendance and the general fan interest will increase. Let’s not be so ignorant and naive that we completely disregard NDSU's success; they will be the benchmark or standard many people hold for UND if they are to have general relevance. Other than the type of loyal fans, alumni, and students you see on this site and thread, most are of the idea that UND is 2nd in the state of ND when it comes to FB. That must change or be much more debatable for attendance to change.

Another way to explain this theory is with an example: If next year NDSU has a losing season and UND makes the playoffs, what do you think the average 2014 attendance numbers will be? I strongly believe NDSU would see a decrease and UND would see that increase towards the 11,000 range we all want to see. [Ag school trolls, this is just hypothetical to make a point]

Attendance between the two schools is a related dynamic. The schools are linked in terms of interest and following, whether we want to believe it or not.

For God's sake stop worrying about NDSU. UND's attendance has nothing to with NDSU. Win some games...everything wil be fine.

Aren't we around #35 in attendance in our first year out of transition?

Likely, I've always thought it made more sense to look at a combo of average attendance and attendance as a percentage of capacity to see how a team is doing. Eventually UND will hit the 12 or 13k attendance which doesn't look all that great but if you are at 100% capacity it is great.

Aren't we around #35 in attendance in our first year out of transition?

UND (4-5)

#24 Total Attendance: 46,626

#41 Average Attendance: 9325

#39 Percent Capacity: 75.92%

Compare that to South Dakota (1-7)

#67 Total Attendance 26,995

#49 Average Attendance 8998

Percent Capacity: #23 89.98%

After this season is done whether UND is 6-5, 5-6, or 4-7, First order of business:

#1 Fire the DC! (replaced by Bubba maybe?)

#2 Fire the LB, Secondary coaches as well

#3 Recruit defense!!! (especially secondary, and better tackling players)

#4 Need more balance on offense (need to run the ball more to control the clock but cannot if we are in a shootout)

#5 Need more crowd participation (loud on all downs not just third) team and coaches can get the crowd into it.

That's just a start. Because of the extention Muss will be there for BSC year #2.

• Upvote 1

Put aside how anyone feels about Muss as a "coach" and his philosophies on gameday. Anyone at the UNA game when they basically headhunted Braden late with a blatant spear that knocked him out of the game?

Anyone see any reaction from Muss in that situation?

The demeanor of a HC speaks volumes to the young men he is suppose to be leading. That single situation spoke volumes IMO.

I know Bohl a little bit...zero chance he would have handled that situation as Muss did...or didn't.

Okay just to be clear, no one in this discussion actually believes that this is going anywhere or is in anyway productive - correct. And it has been stated it is probably damaging to recruiting. Yes, you are allowed your opinion and you are allowed to share it. I am also allowed mine.

I have to ask how so many geniuses here think they know so much about the coaching staff's methods of motivation, what is said in the locker, their psyche, what they are coaching, etc. At the end of the day it's still the players that have to execute, so then the discussion becomes the staff is doing a bad job at recruiting - really - what are the crictics here credentials on recruiting - I'm thinking it's an inexact science. I'm also thinking the past four years we've actually done pretty well on recruiting quality athletes that for the most part stay out of trouble - not all, but most.

Then there are the trolls and the immature twenty-somethings that still talk and think like high schoolers. They love it that this thread is alive because they have no real loyalty to UND.

Hey - guess what, what you think will have no impact on if or when any part of the coaching staff changes. But if it makes you feel good to trash our coaches and players annonymously I guess you found the place. Call me old school but I think we have much better and enjoyable topics to discuss than this.

• Upvote 4

Okay just to be clear, no one in this discussion actually believes that this is going anywhere or is in anyway productive - correct. And it has been stated it is probably damaging to recruiting. Yes, you are allowed your opinion and you are allowed to share it. I am also allowed mine.

I have to ask how so many geniuses here think they know so much about the coaching staff's methods of motivation, what is said in the locker, their psyche, what they are coaching, etc. At the end of the day it's still the players that have to execute, so then the discussion becomes the staff is doing a bad job at recruiting - really - what are the crictics here credentials on recruiting - I'm thinking it's an inexact science. I'm also thinking the past four years we've actually done pretty well on recruiting quality athletes that for the most part stay out of trouble - not all, but most.

Then there are the trolls and the immature twenty-somethings that still talk and think like high schoolers. They love it that this thread is alive because they have no real loyalty to UND.

Hey - guess what, what you think will have no impact on if or when any part of the coaching staff changes. But if it makes you feel good to trash our coaches and players annonymously I guess you found the place. Call me old school but I think we have much better and enjoyable topics to discuss than this.

If its not broken don't fix it. Our defense is broke beyond repair. We need a change to keep pace in this league. This is not the GWFC anymore, cupcakes (NAIA/DII teams) are not going to appear all over our schedule. If we lost by 10-14 against EWU and MSU I would think differently, but when you totally get your ass kicked and embarrassed you need to change something. UND's defense is horrid. We couldn't stop a pass if our life depended on it. Now as MSU has showed our running defense is almost as bad as our passing defense. Why? Aren't the coaches adjusting during the game? What did they learn during game film to prepare for the team, what did they do at practice? I would think everyone can agree to fire Mannausau. That is a given. As far as firing Muss. Okay lets see what will happen with a better DC and more mature players. QB was supposed to be the question mark going into 2013( with 2 redshirt freshmen competing for a starting job) not our defense.

Defensively you have to make a decision:

- rush three or four and play tight man coverage with a safety over the top (because you're not going to get pressure)

or

- rush five or six and play loose zone coverage (hoping to stop the pass before it comes)

What I see is UND playing loose zone (can you say "12 yards off the line") and only rushing three.

That's not "bend don't break"; that's "give until it hurts".

Defensively you have to make a decision:

- rush three or four and play tight man coverage with a safety over the top (because you're not going to get pressure)

or

- rush five or six and play loose zone coverage (hoping to stop the pass before it comes)

What I see is UND playing loose zone (can you say "12 yards off the line") and only rushing three.

That's not "bend don't break"; that's "give until it hurts".

As I was watching the game last Saturday all I could think of was that the team was playing "prevent" defense in the first quarter. It just seemed weird watching it happen.

Nominate this for the dumbest post of the year #troll

Am with you on this one. There are a couple of posters on here whose only solution/reaction after any two-game losing streak in one of our major sports is "fire Muss," "fire Hak," or "fire Jones." The coach's name that goes in the blank just depends upon which season we're in. They've lost all credibility because that's basically the only input that they ever have after a two-game losing streak. And if the team in question happens to go on a winning streak, all we get from them is silence; seldom, if ever, anything positive. Sad.

For God's sake stop worrying about NDSU. UND's attendance has nothing to with NDSU. Win some games...everything wil be fine.

Winning is by far the main priority and for good reason, but to ignorantly state NDSU's success has nothing to do with UND's attendance is a stretch to say the least - history and common sense suggest otherwise.

• Upvote 1