SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I feel like Mannausau has had long enough to get his defense to be his and I don't like what I see. I don't like a lack of passion and fundamentals and I don't like that we had more talented LBs and DLs as a D2 school, which is a complete joke. Guys like Wolf and Schmidt and Schultz and Babington-Johnson and Digger and Hendrickson and ever Mannausau himself were wayyyy better and more athletic than what we have now, and they took guys heads off every game and didn't leave gaps wide open and blow coverages. Mussman is an offensive guy by trait so his mark is on the offense he has limited influence on the defense by comparison. The offense is really good for the most part and the defense sucks.

If we could get Tibesar it would be a perfect fit.

I hear what you are saying ( actually, I read it) but Mannausau is a good recruiter. All of these coaches are feeling the pressure I am sure. Might also be time for team leaders to step up. Missed tackles and missed assignments are simply that. There isn't a LB we have who isn't capable of making the tackle if he gets there. The 3-4 defense is predicated on the D-line keeping the blockers off of the LB so they are able to make the plays. I confess I haven't watched any film but I have wondered what the heck our dbacks are doing giving 12 yd cushions.. I think Muss probably focuses more on the offense but they all see the need for defensive improvement. Not time to give up on these guys but the clock is ticking. I think we are better overall than last year. We need to speed up the improvement process. We haven't resorted to taking some of the kids with drug and criminal problems and we haven't taken the kids who can't make it academically and allowed them to skate by. We have lost some good kids other schools would have covered for in the past and I don't think we need to do that. One of the most important things we can do is get the new facility done so we wow the recruits. It certainly is a difference maker for hockey.

His recruits are apart of the worst D in UND history. Regardless of competition it's unacceptable. If he's a good recruiter than our defensive coaches suck and can't develop the recruited talent. I'm all for giving guys time because that's what good programs do, but his D has played flat all year and is SOFT. I can't accept that.

I understand all of your frustration with him, however I don't know that firing him at this point is the route to go. Has he stunk it up as head coach his first year in the BSC? Yes.... but like others have said the offense is pretty decent and your receivers are actually pretty good. The worst parts that I'm hearing about are the o-line and defense. O-Line can probably be remedied relatively quickly next year, the defense will be a bitter harder to fix. It will likely require some defensive coaches losing their jobs and with that a full re-evaluation of who is at what starting positions in the off season. It won't happen overnight, but I think that it if Muss can start righting the ship by next season he should retain his job. If next year is worse than this year (or the same) then I think you'd have a much better case of firing him.

I understand all of your frustration with him, however I don't know that firing him at this point is the route to go. Has he stunk it up as head coach his first year in the BSC? Yes.... but like others have said the offense is pretty decent and your receivers are actually pretty good. The worst parts that I'm hearing about are the o-line and defense. O-Line can probably be remedied relatively quickly next year, the defense will be a bitter harder to fix. It will likely require some defensive coaches losing their jobs and with that a full re-evaluation of who is at what starting positions in the off season. It won't happen overnight, but I think that it if Muss can start righting the ship by next season he should retain his job. If next year is worse than this year (or the same) then I think you'd have a much better case of firing him.

But this isn't his first year as HC. Minus last year's success vs. a very soft schedule how has this year been really different form all his previous years?

I have no doubt he will be here thru his current contract, I just haven't seen anything in his demeanor and coaching style/philosophy that would suggest that next year or the year after are going to be markedly better. We have some good talent, but not really good Big Sky level talent. We need an upgrade in overall talent and we need an upgrade in coaching...Muss is responsible for both those issues.

While the team focuses on finishing this season strong, I'm shifting my thoughts to next year. Having a rough first year in a tough conference is certainly forgivable, even if that means you wind up look up at your former great west peer (SUU) and a conference doormat (UNC). Other folks have pointed out many teams that have struggled in their introduction to conference play so I won't list all that again.

Next year is a different story though. This conference is ALWAYS difficult. Playing in a difficult conference was no crutch in the NCC, and neither should this be the case in the BSC. Muss should be given the chance to show what kind of coach and recruiter he is. He will have his guys to put out there. He will have film of his team running his scheme against BSC opponents. If he is worthy of this job, he should be given the opportunity to coach 'em up and either sink or swim with it.

But this isn't his first year as HC. Minus last year's success vs. a very soft schedule how has this year been really different form all his previous years?

I have no doubt he will be here thru his current contract, I just haven't seen anything in his demeanor and coaching style/philosophy that would suggest that next year or the year after are going to be markedly better. We have some good talent, but not really good Big Sky level talent. We need an upgrade in overall talent and we need an upgrade in coaching...Muss is responsible for both those issues.

I get that. It IS his first year in the BSC and while he failed to produce a contender year one it will be interesting to see what year 2 brings. UND did have a tough schedule, no doubt about that at all, so while they have struggled in the season it isn't necessarily the end of the world. I recall another coach who had a 3-8 year after a very successful previous year as well.

I get that. It IS his first year in the BSC and while he failed to produce a contender year one it will be interesting to see what year 2 brings. UND did have a tough schedule, no doubt about that at all, so while they have struggled in the season it isn't necessarily the end of the world. I recall another coach who had a 3-8 year after a very successful previous year as well.

That coach I presume we are both thinking about also didn't have teams getting blown out by anyone and had proved that he knew what it took to build a very good team already.

We'll see what happens to Muss.

The previous year he was 6-5. His first two years in MVFC were avg to bad.

Bohl also had kahunas to fire coordinators and make changes

Muss doesnt or at least has showing he doesnt

Hey genius.....

Since you seem to have a great attitude and all the answers to everything, maybe you should change your name to 'gffootball'?

Or maybe you should just get into coaching at UND? Problems solved.

Who and when were the firings. I'm actually curious.

Vigen has always been the hottest seat, specifically after the 3-0 loss to Missouri State to end the season in 2010.

Being a loyal alum definitely helped him keep his job when many wanted him gone. He is still the FU o-coordinator to this day.

I believe the d-coordintaor prior to Hazelton may have been fired, reassigned or asked to find another job. Cant remember who that was.

Ever since Hazelton, the FU Defense has been good to great.

Vigen has always been the hottest seat, specifically after the 3-0 loss to Missouri State to end the season in 2010.

Being a loyal alum definitely helped him keep his job when many wanted him gone. He is still the FU o-coordinator to this day.

I believe the d-coordintaor prior to Hazelton may have been fired, reassigned or asked to find another job. Cant remember who that was.

Ever since Hazelton, the FU Defense has been good to great.

Hazelton is a fantastic coach and a great guy. His players oozed praise about how good of a coach he was before he left. I've met the guy and he doesn't have that typical NDSU d-bag coach characteristic.