SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Anyone that doesn't attempt that kick has a very low football IQ.

Really? Miller's longest field goal of the year was 50 yards, and he hit on 50% of attempts (1 of 2) from that distance for the season. From 40-49 yards, he was 100% (3 of 3). I don't understand running your 170-pound scat back into a stacked line (where's Hedrickson on a roll out, or your 240-pound H back on the dive?), but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think you can get a 1/2 yard on the ground to allow your team a much better shot, statistically speaking, at a winning field goal.

In its first year out of transition -- its first in perhaps the toughest conference in FCS -- UND goes 5 and 6. Doesn't sound like a record that warrants dismissal to me. Yet we have geniuses here calling for Mussman's head due to perceived poor play calling and yet crying that we'll "be eff'd" if the offensive coordinator -- who presumably made many of those play calls -- moves on to another position. Somehow the answer always is a retread coach from the old days or a regional coach with no experience outside of D2.

UND didn't struggle because Mussman -- or his O coordinator -- opted to try to get 0.5 yard on the ground instead of attempting a 50-50 field goal. It struggled because it couldn't stop any team from running the ball all year long and couldn't -- despite an o line averaging over 300 pounds -- create running room inside for any of UND's running backs. Blame that on coaching, too, if you want to, but who among the experts here anticipated that kind of ineptitude against the run after last year's defensive performance? And when a team lines up and gashes you for 10, 15, 20 yards on successive rushing attempts, I dont think its the scheme that is the problem; it's the personnel on the field.

• Upvote 1

Anyone that doesn't attempt that kick has a very low football IQ.

Finally a voice of reason. It was a no brainer! And the decision not to kick it falls squarely on Muss.

For those of you who think Muss is "building" a program or has it going in the "right direction" are so far off it is astounding. 5 years...5 years he has been at the helm. He was co-champs of a 5 team league in 2011...wow!!?? Look deep into his tenure and it's one big mess. As I stated before the last 2 plays of Saturdays game are just a microcosm of Muss. He cannot coach at this level.

bottom line: some here were still in favor of giving Mussman more time to produce winning teams, myself included. The decision on the 4th and 1 just broke the camel's back. How can you not kick the field goal? 51 yards into a gentle breeze at 4000' above sea level! If Miller is 100% from 40-49 yards at lower elevations, how can you not go for the field goal? Was the plan to kick it as the clock runs out? If Mussman had said in the post game interview that he wanted to keep the ball out of Northern Colorado's hands by kicking it at the end of the game, that would have been a reason. At least know why you gave up at least a 50-50 chance of winning the game. A huge part of being a head coach is the ability to make in-game decisions and adapt to the situation in front of you. Don't blame that one on the defensive coordinator. That was not Mannasau's decision.

Muss just said on radio they didnt have a play ready and sneak was easiest thing to call and line up for..

Also said ge would for sure kick the fg if he had to make the decision again.

Basically zeb was pleading with him to tale the fg and the coaches didnt have confidence in him ti hit it

Muss just said on radio they didnt have a play ready and sneak was easiest thing to call and line up for..

:huh:

Shocker. :whistling:

Basically zeb was pleading with him to tale the fg and the coaches didnt have confidence in him ti hit it

I thought the Russian gangsters were going to take Zeb's pub away from him if he made the field goal, ala "The Replacements". ;)

I'm calling bull$%!#. I was there. I was looking at zeb to see what he was doing to prepare himself and he was just standing there ready to go. He never approached the coaches let alone started pleading with them. Basically everything you post should not be read by anyone because you're fabricating things to make the situation seem even more negative.

• Upvote 3

I'm calling bull$%!#. I was there. I was looking at zeb to see what he was doing to prepare himself and he was just standing there ready to go. He never approached the coaches let alone started pleading with them. Basically everything you post should not be read by anyone because you're fabricating things to make the situation seem even more negative.

This. I don't mind reading someone who has an opinion different than mine but its been the same !@#$ from him all year. I just heard Muss on the radio and he said nothing of the defense going toe to toe with UNC like he claimed above. Also, UND decided not to kick the field goal during a time out so to claim they did not have a play ready is a dumb comment. They didn't just run everyone out there in panic mode to run a play.

• Upvote 2

This. I don't mind reading someone who has an opinion different than mine but its been the same !@#$ from him all year. I just heard Muss on the radio and he said nothing of the defense going toe to toe with UNC like he claimed above. Also, UND decided not to kick the field goal during a time out so to claim they did not have a play ready is a dumb comment. They didn't just run everyone out there in panic mode to run a play.

I'm glad other people are figuring this guy out, everything he posts is to stir up trouble or support his campaign to fire all the coaches. Reminds me of another liar lomackman who used to post here and was run off for constantly making sh^t up from his "sources". Sounds exactly the same.

Ignore this clown.

• Upvote 1

That fact Muss had the entire time out to mull it over and still decided not to kick is even more disturbing.

I'm disappointed we would have had to rely on a 51 yard FG to win the game but with our kicking game it was makeable. I also don't completely have a problem going for it either ( I know I'm in the minority on that). However, with the way we have run the ball all season, I would have had more confidence, spreading the defense out and throwing for it on 4th and 1 which is bad.

Our offensive and defensive lines need to get much stronger this offseason. If all those guys don't stick around this summer something is wrong. I know certain programs who have pretty solid lines have their guys lift twice a day during the summer (cough both can be found along I94, cough). We need to be doing the same thing. Our struggles to run the ball this year concerned me about as much as our struggles to stop the run. Line play is the biggest key going into next year for me, not the schemes.

I'm disappointed we would have had to rely on a 51 yard FG to win the game but with our kicking game it was makeable.

Our offensive and defensive lines need to get much stronger this offseason. We need to be doing the same thing. Our struggles to run the ball this year concerned me about as much as our struggles to stop the run. Line play is the biggest key going into next year.

As to your 2 points...Miller had hit his last 7 FGs. Again regardless of what little wind there was, he needed an opportunity to win it.

Our line play has to improve dramatically...just look to the south. If you can run the ball at will and stop it consistantly, you'll be in the hunt...even with mediocore QB play.

i love that you are simultaneously aware of the actions of every person on the field, at all times.

Maybe you should be at the game and be more observant?

And how am I getting called out when that moron is clearly making things up?

there is a difference between being more observant and being omniscient. What exactly is your relation to the program anyway?

there is a difference between being more observant and being omniscient. What exactly is your relation to the program anyway?

Generally people look at the kicker when we're presumably about to attempt a game winning FG from 51 yards. I kicked among other things in high school so I tend to notice kickers when I watch football.

I'm a fan and a former player that is apparently psychic.

Let's move on from the "to kick or not to kick" thing and ponder this:

This is two years in a row that UND has needed a field goal at the end to beat a team that, man for man, UND is better than. Question is, are the coaches offering a winning edge? I don't advocate firing muss, but I expect the same things from leadership that I do from the grunts-and that is to make it happen.

Let's move on from the "to kick or not to kick" thing and ponder this:

This is two years in a row that UND has needed a field goal at the end to beat a team that, man for man, UND is better than. Question is, are the coaches offering a winning edge? I don't advocate firing muss, but I expect the same things from leadership that I do from the grunts-and that is to make it happen.

For the last five years, UND has fielded teams that do not have that "winning edge" or fire to them. This year, I heard numerous times about how our defense had no fire or attitude to them, which I guess is why they were playing so horribly. Well, teams take on the attitude of their leader - the head coach.

Mussman's record vs FCS teams at home: 10 - 6

Mussman's record vs FCS teams away : 8 - 13

Overall record vs FCS teams: 18 - 19

I guess we're heading in the right direction so let's not fix it.................

For the last five years, UND has fielded teams that do not have that "winning edge" or fire to them. This year, I heard numerous times about how our defense had no fire or attitude to them, which I guess is why they were playing so horribly. Well, teams take on the attitude of their leader - the head coach.

Mussman's record vs FCS teams at home: 10 - 6

Mussman's record vs FCS teams away : 8 - 13

Overall record vs FCS teams: 18 - 19

I guess we're heading in the right direction so let's not fix it.................

Hard to argue with the numbers. The program is not getting any better.

After thinking about it more, I don't necessarily have a problem with UND going for the 4th and 1. However, I do have a problem with running the ball up the middle against a stacked box with a running back who weighs 170 pounds soaking wet. I also didn't like the bomb on 3rd and 1 if the plan was to go for it on 4th should the bomb fail. I realize hindsight is 20-20, but I think putting in Hendrickson on the 4th and 1 play could've added a different dimension that would make defending 1 yard more difficult.

After watching what Notre Dame did to Oklahoma last night (despite allowing the first rushing touchdown of the season) one has to ask what it would cost to bring in Notre Dame's Defensive Coordinator as the head coach. Is UND willing to fund the football program to achieve the level of their competition or is the administration content to be the Big Sky's next Northern Colorado?

http://www.und.com/s...iaco_bob00.html

Would Kelley/Faison open up the wallets enough to bring someone from Notre Dame's D staff (like the D line coach) in as head coach? That goal line stand against USC was pretty impressive!

Disclaimer: Since Mussman has not been relieved of his duties nor resigned yet, I think its probably safe to say he will be back in 2013.

Would Kelley/Faison open up the wallets enough to bring someone from Notre Dame's D staff (like the D line coach) in as head coach? That goal line stand against USC was pretty impressive!

Disclaimer: Since Mussman has not been relieved of his duties nor resigned yet, I think its probably safe to say he will be back in 2013.

No way a coach like him makes that move. It would be career suicide. He will have many opportunities to get a D1 FBS offer after this year/next year.

No way a coach like him makes that move. It would be career suicide. He will have many opportunities to get a D1 FBS offer after this year/next year.

I don't think UND could offer its head coach even what ND is offering its position coaches.

I don't think UND could offer its head coach even what ND is offering its position coaches.

That is actually correct. UND's football coaching salaries are a joke. Even in terms of the FCS, I would bet UND's head football coach salary is not even in the top 20. I could do the research but it's not worth it - the bottom line is that UND's financial focus on hockey ACTUALLY DOES deprive the football program, whether you want to admit it or not.