SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I know people hate it when I compare things to NDSU but look what happened to that program out of their transition...6-5 and 3-8. I know people were calling for Bohl's head but look where they are now. SDSU jumped to the playoffs their second year out of transition but hasn't been back since (they might have a chance this season), and USD looked very bad this year with 1 win. UND isn't a bad team, our offense is good but our defense is bad. UNC is the only team with a losing record UND has lost to. The rest have 1 or 2 losses except San Diego State (8-3). I know people are impatient (me included) but I am willing to give Muss another shot, plus with 7 home games we should be able to be close to a playoff spot.

Simply put...Muss is no Bohl. Not even close so don't compare the 2 programs.

• Upvote 2

I know people hate it when I compare things to NDSU but look what happened to that program out of their transition...6-5 and 3-8. I know people were calling for Bohl's head but look where they are now. SDSU jumped to the playoffs their second year out of transition but hasn't been back since (they might have a chance this season), and USD looked very bad this year with 1 win. UND isn't a bad team, our offense is good but our defense is bad. UNC is the only team with a losing record UND has lost to. The rest have 1 or 2 losses except San Diego State (8-3). I know people are impatient (me included) but I am willing to give Muss another shot, plus with 7 home games we should be able to be close to a playoff spot.

In addition to having the 10-1 season prior to his 6-5 and 3-8 season, he also had a couple of fbs wins under his belt. What does Mussman have? A GWFC championship? He also has a loss to an NAIA school and one of the worst defenses in the history of UND.

Aren't you one that hates it when he kicks and plays conservative? He went for it. That's awesome, right? Nothing conservative about that last offensive play. Only a pansy would kick it in that situation.

Kicking it to WIN THE GAME is not the same as punting on 4th and short when line of scrimmage is inside the 50 of the opponent with little time left, on likely your last possession of the game.

• Upvote 2

Aren't you one that hates it when he kicks and plays conservative? He went for it. That's awesome, right? Nothing conservative about that last offensive play. Only a pansy would kick it in that situation.

You sir are ignorant or clueless. If both that's a sad combo.

Next year will be UND's first real chance at the FCS playoffs with some experience under their belts and 7 home games, there is no way they keep him if the problems of this year show up again.

But I expect him to be back one more year, maybe with some new defensive coaches.

• Upvote 1

Next year will be UND's first real chance at the FCS playoffs with some experience under their belts and 7 home games, there is no way they keep him if the problems of this year show up again.

But I expect him to be back one more year, maybe with some new defensive coaches.

I suspect Muss (unfortunately) will be back for one more year. If no changes are made on the defensive side of the ball, then I will have lost faith in Faison and his vision for the football program.

I suspect Muss (unfortunately) will be back for one more year. If no changes are made on the defensive side of the ball, then I will have lost faith in Faison and his vision for the football program.

Yeah I think that's fair, giving up a ton of yards in any particular game is going to happen over the course of a year regardless of how good your defense is, it's how you react and make changes for the next week and the rest of the season that determines your worth as a defensive coach, and there has been no significant improvement here from the first game.

Is it Faison who makes decisions about assistant coaches? I was under the impression that Mussman has final say over his staff.

Usually the head coach has control over assistants, so it will be up to him to make the moves (I believe).

But, with him fighting for his coaching life right now, it would be moronic not to shake things up and try to save his job past next year.

Get some money out to lennon and birng back bubba

those guys would love to come back here

Lennon has a pretty good gig in SIU.

Bohl didn't have his team being embarassed by the good teams on his schedule. Just routinely lost to everyone by around 3-10 points.

This whole season is an epic failure.

-The team finishes below .500 and of course no conference title or playoffs.

-Two embarrassing major blowouts

-Still no FBS win despite several years of trying

-Lose to the conference doormat

-A defense that is among the worst in FCS

-Out coached at every level

It may be unrealistic to think things will get drastically better next year. Muss will almost certainly be back, and we start out with a totally inexperienced quarterback. I don't think this is doing wonders for recruiting either.

Is it Faison who makes decisions about assistant coaches? I was under the impression that Mussman has final say over his staff.

I should clarify my last comment a bit. I'm sure Mussman makes the decision. I would suspect that Faison will meet with Muss to discuss how the year went and what Muss plans to do heading into next year. If Muss plans to keep things status quo, then Faison needs to make a decision on whether or not Muss is the right guy. If Muss plans to shake things up, I'm guessing he gets another year.

It may be unrealistic to think things will get drastically better next year. Muss will almost certainly be back, and we start out with a totally inexperienced quarterback. I don't think this is doing wonders for recruiting either.

Epic!!! Wow. Epic to you must be needing a laxative. Going 2-9 or 1-10 is an epic failure.

Honestly, expecting an FBS win over SDSU. If that defines epic failure, quess you are an epic loser. BTW, the conference doormaat is ISU, followed by Weber.

This teams defense suck and lacks a running game. Those are the issues. Whether Mussman can solve those issues is a whole other story. Certainly, some of the staff needs to go.

This team has an incredible receiving corps that fans have never seen before. The right additions to the OL and D and coaching upgrades - as well as a QB that steps in - would make a huge difference.

Anyone expecting the first go around in the Big Sky to be a playoff level performance was simply delusional to begin with.

You sir are ignorant or clueless. If both that's a sad combo.

Well, if you say so.

A conservative, play-the-percentages, clueless, ignoramus like me would have preferred they attempt the FG at that point.

There's a faction of posters here who criticize Mussman everytime he does the "smart" thing, or the conservative thing. Well he was certainly agressive at the end of the game today, so I figure anybody who's criticized the play-calling in these situations all season, should be giddy tonight..............

While several of your points are true, the season wasn't an epic failure. This team came close to saying their only losses were to ranked teams. They handled Sac State. They beat Montana when Montana was in a must win situation. They came very close to beating a good FBS team. They had good chances to beat to Cal Poly and NAU late in the game.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Mussman after today and have to really question whether he is the right guy for the job. I would like to see some leadership with more intensity. But to say the season was an epic failure is way off base and doesn't give credit where credit is due.

While several of your points are true, the season wasn't an epic failure. This team came close to saying their only losses were to ranked teams. They handled Sac State. They beat Montana when Montana was in a must win situation. They came very close to beating a good FBS team. They had good chances to beat to Cal Poly and NAU late in the game.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Mussman after today and have to really question whether he is the right guy for the job. I would like to see some leadership with more intensity. But to say the season was an epic failure is way off base and doesn't give credit where credit is due.

Is everyone going to quibble over one word? Overall, this season didn't live up to expectations, and if you add up all the problems, well you get the picture.

Well, if you say so.

A conservative, play-the-percentages, clueless, ignoramus like me would have preferred they attempt the FG at that point.

There's a faction of posters here who criticize Mussman everytime he does the "smart" thing, or the conservative thing. Well he was certainly agressive at the end of the game today, so I figure anybody who's criticized the play-calling in these situations all season, should be giddy tonight..............

There is a certain time and place for every call throughout a FB game. Unfortunately Muss is clueless in regards to that and you are in that camp. The last 2 plays are a microcosm of Muss and his tenure to date. You might feel differently but are definitely in the minority.

• Upvote 3