SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

That is actually correct. UND's football coaching salaries are a joke. Even in terms of the FCS, I would bet UND's head football coach salary is not even in the top 20. I could do the research but it's not worth it - the bottom line is that UND's financial focus on hockey ACTUALLY DOES deprive the football program, whether you want to admit it or not.

I don't think hockey has anything to do with the salary the football staff receive, if anything the success of the hockey program has been a financial plus to the other sports. I'm sure between the revenue that's generated from ticket and merchandise sales and the percentage of people who donate to the Champions Club almost specifically because of the hockey program it adds up to quite a bit of money, and that should free up more money to help fund the sports that can't fund themselves.

And before this argument starts...the sports that make money and are recognized as powers and draw attendance as such will always have the higher paid coaches, at UND it is hockey, at Montana it is football, at Duke it is basketball, etc... when UND gets to the point where NDSU has been the last couple years, or Montana and Montana State are, the football program salaries will raise with the results, but for now I can't see them hiring a high dollar coach for a program right out of transition.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I wish they would hire the best coach available in the nation if they had an opening, but I know they couldn't justify paying him what he would demand right now.

I don't think many of our coaches have a resume deserving much higher salaries to be honest.

That in itself is upsetting. The coaches here are DII caliber yet trying to coach a DI team in the Big Sky conference - that is a recipe for disaster right there. The team hires former players because they are the only ones willing to coach for such a low salary at UND.

• Upvote 2

That in itself is upsetting. The coaches here are DII caliber yet trying to coach a DI team in the Big Sky conference - that is a recipe for disaster right there. The team hires former players because they are the only ones willing to coach for such a low salary at UND.

Our athletic budget has to be one of the highest in the Big Sky. Not sure we can't spend some money and get some good coaches in here. Muss just signed a multi year deal, so he isn't gonna go anywhere. But as far as the rest of the coaches...esides the WR coach and maybe the special teams coach....the rest need to go. Mannasau should turn in his resignation to save the embarrassment!!!

• 9 months later...

You mean - gets pass for the past 6+ years

I can't believe he's been the head guy for six years.....wow. I've got them pegged at about 5-6 after the game tonight. Should get him a ticket out. But then again, a guy named Roger couldn't beat the Bison year after year after year and he stayed around until he got it right.

O blow it up your ass. A well coached team doesn't give up and those kids didn't stop until the clock read 0:00. The players figured it out in the late 3rd quarter. The coaches put them in position to succeed all game and near the end they started making the plays. This thread is a joke and you guys should be ashamed for this type of talk two games into the season.

SDSU messed up by allowing UND to get back into the game by not letting Zenner to run on our !@#$ defense and run the clock out, instead they threw the ball and stopped the clock. Poor coaching in the 4th on SDSU not great coaching by UND. If UND doesn't get 7 wins...shitcan the whole coaching staff.

I for one wouldn't want a coach that was proud of a defense and thought they played well after giving up 300 yards to a running back like Mussman said after the game. It sounds like your color guy on the radio is big into moral victories just like your HC. Lots of one play here or one play there type of talk. But I have to hand it to UND, NOBODY plays harder.

O blow it up your ass. A well coached team doesn't give up and those kids didn't stop until the clock read 0:00. The players figured it out in the late 3rd quarter. The coaches put them in position to succeed all game and near the end they started making the plays. This thread is a joke and you guys should be ashamed for this type of talk two games into the season.

If I could +1 this on my phone, I totally would.

It's not even about this game. I've never been a fan of muss's style or game decisions. Taking that timeout today early in the 4th quarter was questionable at best. As I've said each of the past 3 years, hopefully they prove me wrong this time.

I tend to agree with you, but the stuff about the team not quitting has got to stop. That's an absurdly low bar. That's a bar you set for little kids, not scholarship players and coaches at this level.

I tend to agree with you, but the stuff about the team not quitting has got to stop. That's an absurdly low bar. That's a bar you set for little kids, not scholarship players and coaches at this level.

Down like that after a long TD run that seemed to be a nail in the coffin would be a common time for most teams to pack it in. We didn't. It matters more than you think at every level of athletics. Something clicked with the team late in the 3rd. This loss sucked, we gave them the 2nd and most of the 3rd quarters/ they kicked our asses. Then we turn around and play with reckless abandon for the rest of the game and almost pull out a huge comeback against a very very good team. I hope that carries over and the coaches notice who earned more playing time and who shouldn't play as much. After tonight, even though I'm extremely disappointed, I believe in this team and think they're ready to make something happen.

Down like that after a long TD run that seemed to be a nail in the coffin would be a common time for most teams to pack it in. We didn't. It matters more than you think at every level of athletics. Something clicked with the team late in the 3rd. This loss sucked, we gave them the 2nd and most of the 3rd quarters/ they kicked our asses. Then we turn around and play with reckless abandon for the rest of the game and almost pull out a huge comeback against a very very good team. I hope that carries over and the coaches notice who earned more playing time and who shouldn't play as much. After tonight, even though I'm extremely disappointed, I believe in this team and think they're ready to make something happen.

A real victory would be nice though

Couldn't agree more - time to actually win some