SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Is this thread for real? Guy is in his first season with arguably the toughest FCS Conference, where we have played SDSU, E Washington, N Arizona, Montana State; and just beat Montana (I know its been a rough year for the Griz); and people are already calling for Muss to get fired. We have a top notch receiving core, a good interim QB, a decent back QB and a top QB recruit. All today told be was that we need to beef up our O line.

With the exception of maybe two games this year, we have been very competitve, and showed alot of promise. This coach and this team have earned our patience as fans. I for one have not been this in to watching UND football since I was a freshman in college and we lost to Grand Valley State in the National Championship game '03.

Not that Muss or any of the player are readying this, but just in case ... you guys are doing awesome, keep improving and keep doing what you're doing! GO SIOUX!!

It'd be a miracle to get one of those now.

Pretty much ... just making the tournament would really be fun to watch though. Even as a Sioux fan I had a fun time watchiin the Bison compete against KU a few years ago, and they actually had a legitimate chance of winning that game. It'll happen eventually!

Is this thread for real? Guy is in his first season with arguably the toughest FCS Conference, where we have played SDSU, E Washington, N Arizona, Montana State; and just beat Montana (I know its been a rough year for the Griz); and people are already calling for Muss to get fired.

In Mussman's 5 seasons the team as a whole has markedly regressed. Our receiving corps is good, but that's about the only area of promise for the future right now. The only way one could claim the team is improving is by saying we're much improved from 2009. Well if being better than a team that lost to (and was flat-out beaten by) the University of Sioux Falls is the mark of what we expect from UND football, then I guess UND will never have another good football team. Sioux Falls would probably put up 30+ points on our defense this year. Excellence must be demanded. Also, people have been calling for Muss to get fired for a long time.

All today told be was that we need to beef up our O line.

We allowed 55 points, I think the problems lie moreso on the other side of the ball.

With the exception of maybe two games this year, we have been very competitve, and showed alot of promise. This coach and this team have earned our patience as fans.

This sounds like a Mussman quote. I'd rather we start winning than turn into a competitive conference doormat like Northern Colorado. What has Mussman done to earn patience? Going "toe to toe" in losses to good teams at home while getting slaughtered on the road? The attitude displayed after the Montana win was somewhat embarrassing. Was it an exciting finish? Yeah. Was it a good conference win? Yeah. Was it the biggest win of the D1 era for UND? Against a team that is 2-4 in conference play..... I hope not.

After watching what Notre Dame did to Oklahoma last night (despite allowing the first rushing touchdown of the season) one has to ask what it would cost to bring in Notre Dame's Defensive Coordinator as the head coach. Is UND willing to fund the football program to achieve the level of their competition or is the administration content to be the Big Sky's next Northern Colorado?

http://www.und.com/s...iaco_bob00.html

After watching what Notre Dame did to Oklahoma last night (despite allowing the first rushing touchdown of the season) one has to ask what it would cost to bring in Notre Dame's Defensive Coordinator. Is UND willing to fund the football program to achieve the level of their competition or is the administration content to be the Big Sky's next Northern Colorado?

http://www.und.com/s...iaco_bob00.html

in general, i feel that the kelley administration is concerned only with core academics, and is fine with mediocrity in anything not directly related to that core goal. I doubt they would get very worked up about being the new NOCO.

For all of the fire Muss gang, I'm not sure that very many of you guys know the difference between what is said to the media by a coach and what is said to the team in meetings. There is always a massive difference. If Mussman said to the media what he says to his players in meetings after losses he would be fired for sure, that goes for any coach. To assume that his players don't respect him and are running the institution is pretty ignorant. You can bet people in Fargo were thinking the same thing and now they think Bohl has every player in his program by the balls as far as respect and attention. Mussman is a relatively young coach and has shown alot of growth since getting the job. After all of the crap that he has had to deal with as a coach you would think that people would have loads of respect for the guy. Most men would have wilted under the pressure and stress of trying to go through the transition with someone elses players and deal with the possibility of your team being deleted due to lack of conference affiliation due to the nickname debacle all the while trying to recruit players to a program that may not be in the future. Winning the conference last year with that offense was nothing short of a miracle. Just look at Tom Coughlin, everyone in New York thought his players didn't respect him at all and that he had lost his team. They had a losing record and people wanted him fired before mid season. Well they ended up winning the Super Bowl that year and players were asked what they thought of there coach and they said they had nothing but respect for him and that he got the best out of them. Sometimes the perception of the outside world is skewed.

Since when was baseball a major sport at UND?

Swiiiing and a miss.

so major sports are whatever the hell we say they are?

lets just say the mens bb is not a major sport at UND, then we have championships in all the major sports. :silly:

I reserve the right to see what the redshirt freshman and current freshman class (who would have 4 years of playoff chances) before calling for Muss's head.

I also reserve the right to have Faison call the D coordinator into his office and fire him Monday Morning.

I reserve the right to see what the redshirt freshman and current freshman class (who would have 4 years of playoff chances) before calling for Muss's head.

I also reserve the right to have Faison call the D coordinator into his office and fire him Monday Morning.

It's hard to disagree with wanting a change on that side of the ball. The discrepancy in talent from last year to this year on defense does not warrant being a bottom 10 defense in the nation. It might be time for some new blood on that side of the ball. A Mike Tomlin type would be nice, young energetic intense.

• Upvote 1

I said results speak for themselves, and I still maintain that. But there are a lot of good arguments for why the results so far have been less then satisfactory (transition hurting recruiting, etc.). I think there are also a lot of good arguments for why he should be able to get future results and prove that over the long term, he can build a contending FCS team (now that we are through the transition and in a stable conference).

Edit: perhaps over the long term, the results will speak of a rise from the horrible days of the transition to a well put together playoff team.