SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Comments such as "We were only a play or two from turning the game in our favor," or "we ran into a good football team" today. It may just be my observation, but he doesn't come across as a head coach when he's being interviewed or when he's on the sideline. He seems to lack the fire, intensity, and demand for respect that a good head coach should have. Again, maybe it's just my preference for what to look for in a head coach...

Ahhhh ok yes those are frustrating.

In the beginning of the season, I knew playing at Eastern Washington and Montana State would be tough and could easily be losses, but I NEVER foresaw anything like a 55-17 and a 55-10 loss...........................

I've stated my opinion on Mussman before and I wish he would do something to change it, but I continue to wait..............

This thread was remarkably quiet last week. You can't base a coaches job on a week by week basis. Either he's a bad coach and needs to be fired or not. Stick to your guns if you actually think it. If not go ruminate with a middle school girl who had a bad hair day.

I've actually been pretty quiet on all of the football threads since the season began. I have stated in the past, that Mussman is not the guy for the job. I figured I would let the season play out before saying anything this year. But as UND-FB-Fan has said, he hasn't done anything to change my mind. Maybe it's as simple as changing the DLine coach, but I fear it's much more than that.

Hendrickson, Guertz, Bellotti, Hawkins, Kuderna, Bellmore, and Watkins all graduated and all could tackle really really well. Great run defense last year because of it.

Agree...also a big jump in the level of competition should be taken into account.

I've actually been pretty quiet on all of the football threads since the season began. I have stated in the past, that Mussman is not the guy for the job. I figured I would let the season play out before saying anything this year. But as UND-FB-Fan has said, he hasn't done anything to change my mind. Maybe it's as simple as changing the DLine coach, but I fear it's much more than that.

At some point the players need to be held accountable.

• Upvote 1

This thread was remarkably quiet last week. You can't base a coaches job on a week by week basis. Either he's a bad coach and needs to be fired or not. Stick to your guns if you actually think it. If not go ruminate with a middle school girl who had a bad hair day.

The jury is still out on Mussman. This thread doesn't need to be active every week to confirm that; his coaching and his team’s performance today just reminded us that questions and doubts still should exist. Heck, beating a team with a 3-4 record at home on a last second play isn't necessarily convincing, it just gives you hope he’s maybe improving. How much longer do we wait? I'd say let him have at least one more year and see if recruiting while in the Big Sky changes anything.

Agree...also a big jump in the level of competition should be taken into account.

I don't. They killed D1 teams against the run last year. This years guys are just soft, they don't want it enough and are an embarrassment to a program that many have given everything they have to.

I don't. They killed D1 teams against the run last year. This years guys are just soft, they don't want it enough and are an embarrassment to a program that many have given everything they have to.

Maybe the defense feels they can be bailed out by the offense every week. Well look what happend when MSU stopped our offense.

So you think the schedule UND played last year is on par with the schedule we have played this year in terms of strength?

So you think the schedule UND played last year was on par with the schedule we have played this year in terms of strength?

Just look at D1 opponents. The run defense was really really good. They would have not only been in position like this years d but also actually made those tackles.

I have nothing against Mussman outside of his coaching. I've ran into him at a bar a shared some drinks before. He's a good guy. I just don't think he is a head coach at the FCS or higher level. Maybe he develops into one down the road, I'm sure there are coaches that have taken awhile to develop and gone on to become decent coaches. How long should we wait to see if Muss has what it takes? He hasn't shown much yet...

Just look at D1 opponents. The run defense was really really good. They would have not only been in position like this years d but also actually made those tackles.

This year's Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and Montana State teams would've ran all over us last year, just not quite as bad as this year. Last year's record was a joke. We beat three non-D1 teams so really we had a 5-3 season, barely.

I have nothing against Mussman outside of his coaching. I've ran into him at a bar a shared some drinks before. He's a good guy. I just don't think he is a head coach at the FCS or higher level. Maybe he develops into one down the road, I'm sure there are coaches that have taken awhile to develop and gone on to become decent coaches. How long should we wait to see if Muss has what it takes? He hasn't shown much yet...

Until after the 3 years are up on his contract according to Brian Faison.

This year's Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and Montana State teams would've ran all over us last year, just not quite as bad as this year. Last year's record was a joke. We beat three non-D1 teams so really we had a 5-3 season, barely.

We didn't have an offense last year. At least this year we put points on the board...too bad so does our opponents.

I agreed our run defense was better last year, hard not to be. We did lose a few good players, but the schedule has also been a step up (even if you look at DI opponents only). Last years schedule allowed for "breaks" when playing down a level. It allowed time for the team to heal up a bit and prepare for the next DI team on the schedule. There are no breaks in the schedule this year. The team simply isn't deep enough on the defensive side of the ball.

I think it's been said but threads like this do nothing to help recruiting. This is the first place recruits and their parents will find. Can't remember too many football staffs that have been fired or hired based on chat room experts.

• Upvote 1

Ag

I think it's been said but threads like this do nothing to help recruiting. This is the first place recruits and their parents will find. Can't remember too many football staffs that have been fired or hired based on chat room experts.

agree.

And when has Faison ever shown the ability to hire footballl staff. His record at NMSU in that department was horrific. Trust Faison for basketball and volleyball, but not hockey or football.