SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Winning is by far the main priority and for good reason, but to ignorantly state NDSU's success has nothing to do with UND's attendance is a stretch to say the least - history and common sense suggest otherwise.

Forget about NDSU. There are more than enough UND fooball fans to sell out the Alerus ... if they put a good product on the field. Simple as that. Anything else is defeatist nonsense.

Am with you on this one. There are a couple of posters on here whose only solution/reaction after any two-game losing streak in one of our major sports is "fire Muss," "fire Hak," or "fire Jones." The coach's name that goes in the blank just depends upon which season we're in. They've lost all credibility because that's basically the only input that they ever have after a two-game losing streak. And if the team in question happens to go on a winning streak, all we get from them is silence; seldom, if ever, anything positive. Sad.

I love your self-righteousness and complacency. Awesome combination.

Forget about NDSU. There are more than enough UND fooball fans to sell out the Alerus ... if they put a good product on the field. Simple as that. Anything else is defeatist nonsense.

This discussion really is circular because it is centered on the same goal: win

• 2 weeks later...

Refer to my post(s) in the Northern Colorado threads.

Basically, get rid of this absolute idiot.

Blowout losses, horrible game understanding and awareness, no leadership, blown leads and playcalling woes, losing seasons....

the list goes on and on and on

Lets get this program going in the right direction. Not only the fans and alumni but the players deserve it and I'm sure they want it.

I'm now off to watch our one lone team that has a competent head coach. I don't even want to start on basketball after today's game versus Northern Iowa, another mid-major.

Blowout losses, horrible game understanding and awareness, no leadership, blown leads and playcalling woes, losing seasons....

Lets get this program going in the right direction. Not only the fans and alumni but the players deserve it and I'm sure they want it.

I'm now off to watch our one lone team that has a competent head coach. I don't even want to start on basketball after today's game versus Northern Iowa, another mid-major.

The only thing I will disagree on is the one competent head coach. I believe we have at least two...Hakstol and Hardee. The jury is still out on Brewster.

The only thing I will disagree on is the one competent head coach. I believe we have at least two...Hakstol and Hardee. The jury is still out on Brewster.

I agree; I forgot about Hardee and overlooked Brewster. The other revenue sports (Football and Men's Basketball) have question marks at head coach, that really sounds like a great strategy.................

Faison won't fire him due to the contract extention but his time is running out. Next season if we don't make the playoffs....Muss better get out the want ads

Won't fire him now because of 3 years (plus two one-year options) left on 3 year extension? But might fire him next year with two years (plus two one-year options) left on 3 year extension? Really?

When is the last time a UND coach got the axe? I agree that a coaching change is in order, but the problems with UND football go beyond that. The marketing for UND football has been horrendous. NDSU has been kicking UND's @ss in that department. Granted, NDSU has put together some winning teams, but the school has also done a damn good job of promoting the football program and the overall game day experience.

• Upvote 1

Won't fire him now because of 3 years (plus two one-year options) left on 3 year extension? But might fire him next year with two years (plus two one-year options) left on 3 year extension? Really?

I think Faison gave Muss a break this year and added the contract extention due to winning the GWFC and to take the whole contract talk pressure off of him before starting the BSC. UND played one of the toughest schedules in the FCS when you play ranked team after ranked team it will take a toll if you are not used to it. UND went from playing 3 NAIA teams last year to play 3 ranked teams in a row then add Montana before going out to Bozeman. That is a hell of a difference in one year. Yes Muss had questionable coaching skills and I hope they do get better with this learning experience. Remember NDSU didn't make a threat in the MVFC until their third year in the conference. If UND tanks next season then fire them, but if UND makes a serious push towards the playoffs then we can cut him a little slack. But one thing is for certain....fire Mannausau.

I think Faison gave Muss a break this year and added the contract extention due to winning the GWFC and to take the whole contract talk pressure off of him before starting the BSC. UND played one of the toughest schedules in the FCS when you play ranked team after ranked team it will take a toll if you are not used to it. UND went from playing 3 NAIA teams last year to play 3 ranked teams in a row then add Montana before going out to Bozeman. That is a hell of a difference in one year. Yes Muss had questionable coaching skills and I hope they do get better with this learning experience. Remember NDSU didn't make a threat in the MVFC until their third year in the conference. If UND tanks next season then fire them, but if UND makes a serious push towards the playoffs then we can cut him a little slack. But one thing is for certain....fire Mannausau.

Mussman can't coach or lead and that won't change overnight or after a year. All we're doing is allowing the program to suffer more and the fan support to decrease while we HOPE this thing turns around with Mussman at the helm. Let me save you the trouble of wondering and hoping, it won't turn around.

Mussman can't coach or lead and that won't change overnight or after a year. All we're doing is allowing the program to suffer more and the following to decrease while we HOPE this thing turns around with Mussman at the helm. Let me save you the trouble of wondering and hoping, it won't.

I know people hate it when I compare things to NDSU but look what happened to that program out of their transition...6-5 and 3-8. I know people were calling for Bohl's head but look where they are now. SDSU jumped to the playoffs their second year out of transition but hasn't been back since (they might have a chance this season), and USD looked very bad this year with 1 win. UND isn't a bad team, our offense is good but our defense is bad. UNC is the only team with a losing record UND has lost to. The rest have 1 or 2 losses except San Diego State (8-3). I know people are impatient (me included) but I am willing to give Muss another shot, plus with 7 home games we should be able to be close to a playoff spot.

Another mid-major? We are by no means a mid-major program. One bid leagues like the Big Sky are low-major. The Missouri Valley is mid-major conference that routinely has multiple teams in the NCAA tournament. Northern Iowa is regularly one of the Valley's top teams.

Another mid-major? We are by no means a mid-major program. One bid leagues like the Big Sky are low-major. The Missouri Valley is mid-major conference that routinely has multiple teams in the NCAA tournament. Northern Iowa is regularly one of the Valley's top teams.

Alright, I guess losing by 25 is acceptable then. :silly:

I know people hate it when I compare things to NDSU but look what happened to that program out of their transition...6-5 and 3-8. I know people were calling for Bohl's head but look where they are now. SDSU jumped to the playoffs their second year out of transition but hasn't been back since (they might have a chance this season), and USD looked very bad this year with 1 win. UND isn't a bad team, our offense is good but our defense is bad. UNC is the only team with a losing record UND has lost to. The rest have 1 or 2 losses except San Diego State (8-3). I know people are impatient (me included) but I am willing to give Muss another shot, plus with 7 home games we should be able to be close to a playoff spot.

The difference is Bohl had already established himself as a good coach before the 2009 season. He had his team ranked #1 in the country before 2009 and had demonstrated quality leadership - Mussman has done nothing of that sort and that won't change. He's running this program into the ground and alumni and fans are realizing it and not showing up.