SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I'll be very interested to see how the team responds to this beatdown. If they come back home and bounce back against a team that just knocked off #1 I'll be impressed. If they give up 500+ yards and lock in a losing season I'll be pretty close to losing faith in this staff. I don't think Faison is gonna fire Muss 6 months after he extended his contract but if there aren't major changes on the defensive side of the ball I'm going to seriously start questioning those making the decisions.

Well as long as we are all playing A.D. Why not think outside the box a little bit.

Mussman just signed a contract extension so he is still going to be the head coach. I don't think there is any doubt that the defensive coaching staff needs to be shaken up a bit.

Steve Stanard is the current linebackers coach for the best FCS defense in the country an hour down the road. He has experience as a coordinator at the FBS level.

No idea if he would have any interest but if we weren;t able to offer him more money to be our d coordinator than he makes as linebackers coach then we have bigger issues in our program than coaching and personnel.

• Upvote 1

It is no coincidence the top 3 teams in the polls also lead the nation in total defense. UND is #114 in total defense, and #107 in scoring defense.

I don't have the answer, and I'm not paid to produce one, but it is obvious something must change and it isn't as simple as having the current guys get healthy and tackle better.

• Upvote 1

It is no coincidence the top 3 teams in the polls also lead the nation in total defense. UND is #114 in total defense, and #107 in scoring defense.

I don't have the answer, and I'm not paid to produce one, but it is obvious something must change and it isn't as simple as having the current guys get healthy and tackle better.

NDSU is gona have a shot to win it again due to one thing...it's D.

Their offense is average at best IMO but they can run the ball to control the clock most games. Their D is arguably the best in FCS and truly sets them apart.

UND used to have a similar formula in the early 2000.

Beef up both lines, they just aren't strong enough. LB's need to get bigger on the outside and quicker on the inside and also just plain better. We also need a JUCO or two in the secondary at least if not an LB and DL too.

I dont understand, UND's offensive line appears to be quite big. Same with the linebackers.

With two games remaining, UND has already given up the second most points in the 118-year history of UND football.

UND needs to give up less than 37 points per game in the remaining two games to avoid being the worst defense in history of UND football.

If, at a minimum, there isn't a new defensive coordinator next season, that will tell me UND is not serious about its football program.

I dont understand, UND's offensive line appears to be quite big. Same with the linebackers.

Big is one thing but strong and quick are another. A guy like Lynch is huge quick and powerful, he's a great lineman, same with Kleason. Gillson on the other hand is huge, slow and weak. Then a player like McGurran who is really smart but slow and average strength. Denui is tall and quick but not strong enough yet.

The big LBs have played slow this year and the quick ones have played small.

How about patience?

Having said that there is no excuse to get kicked by any FCS school and no excuse to give up over 40 points per game. Kids need to look to themselves and start stepping up their level of play. Not sure why we couldn't score against Montana State even though I get the part that they are better than we are right now.

Our receivers right now could play for many FBS teams. Our QB's are very good and we will get a good idea of how recruiting has progressed with Mollberg next year if he wins the starting job. Our linebackers need to be bigger and faster but it won't do any good if that just means you get to the ball carrier and miss tackles. We need RB's with the size of Sutton and speed and quickness of Miller. O-line needs to keep imporving and we need quicker feet with similar size. Not sure how we can have line that big that can't run block. D-line hasn't kept blockers off our LB's very well and secondary needs to get a lot stronger and smarter. Not time to crap on our coaching staff yet. We will know after this years group of redshirts are eligible if we are making the necessary strides We aren't there but we are closer. . We need to make sure we dont' lose anyone for academics or stupid decisions. More than anything every year coaching staffs across the country need to assess whether or not they are recruiting the right kids. The Wisconsin RB who was coming as a preferred walk-on is an example. Seems he would be here had we offered at least 1/2 Scholarship. If we had he would have had to sit out to go to Wisconsin. (NDSU missed that one too). The Brainerd kid who starts in O-line as RFR for the AC, played for former UND player Chet Stevenson and he was offered preferred walk on here and there. Obviously both schools underestimated him. We need to speed up our facility upgrades. That will make a big difference for recruiting. Faison needs to continue to upgrade the non-conf schedule. I am anxious to see if he can get either the Gophers or Tar Heels. We aren't there yet and everyone can see that. The kids we have need to be more disciplined and can't miss tackles or pick up dumb penalties or turn the ball over. We aren't good enough. Eliminate the things like that and we have two more wins. There is more a sense of urgency but for now don't forget this is our first year eligible. If we improve steadily we will be there soon. Biggest key of course is we need better players to compete at this level. We are getting there at some positions but we need to pick it up a bit.

• Upvote 1

The problem with transitions is you never really know for sure how many kids stayed away because of it, the only kids we can really grade as a full recruiting class right now are the true and redshirt freshmen...they knew they would be playoff eligible their first year on the field.

So the dilemma is...is it fair to judge Mussman when his recruiting ability has been hampered the last few years by kids not wanting to come to play 1-3 years without being able to advance to the FCS playoffs? I'm sure it's not a major deal to every recruit, but even if it means losing one or two high-end recruits each year (and those are the ones who would want more exposure), how much difference would those 5 or 6 studs make on the field every week? I would think quite a bit. Even though the transition is over as far as the move to D1 is concerned, it won't be over for another 3 years as far as true recruiting classes go, so things should get steadily better as the full D1 recruits keep coming in.

That said, I personally don't like the spin that's constantly offered up by Mussman after every downfall...it came down to a few plays, moral victories, we played well, yada yada yada. No you didn't. You got your ass kicked. You didn't tackle. You couldn't cover anybody. You had no pass rush. You didn't make adjustments. I can live with the fact that the defense is not that talented and is going to struggle to make stops, but don't insult my intelligence as a fan and try to sugarcoat a turd, I'd feel better if he stood there and told it like it was, and maybe let it be known that he was a little pissed off.

Maybe I'm too old school, back in the days when coaches chewed ass and threw things at halftime, maybe it's a softer, cuddly world out there now.

This is Tibesar's first year at Purdue. During his two years as d coordinator here, UND gave up around 13 ppg.

Let's split the difference between our current clip of 39 a game. I'd take a drop to 26/game in a heartbeat.

How about patience?

Having said that there is no excuse to get kicked by any FCS school and no excuse to give up over 40 points per game. Kids need to look to themselves and start stepping up their level of play. Not sure why we couldn't score against Montana State even though I get the part that they are better than we are right now.

Our receivers right now could play for many FBS teams. Our QB's are very good and we will get a good idea of how recruiting has progressed with Mollberg next year if he wins the starting job. Our linebackers need to be bigger and faster but it won't do any good if that just means you get to the ball carrier and miss tackles. We need RB's with the size of Sutton and speed and quickness of Miller. O-line needs to keep imporving and we need quicker feet with similar size. Not sure how we can have line that big that can't run block. D-line hasn't kept blockers off our LB's very well and secondary needs to get a lot stronger and smarter. Not time to crap on our coaching staff yet. We will know after this years group of redshirts are eligible if we are making the necessary strides We aren't there but we are closer. . We need to make sure we dont' lose anyone for academics or stupid decisions. More than anything every year coaching staffs across the country need to assess whether or not they are recruiting the right kids. The Wisconsin RB who was coming as a preferred walk-on is an example. Seems he would be here had we offered at least 1/2 Scholarship. If we had he would have had to sit out to go to Wisconsin. (NDSU missed that one too). The Brainerd kid who starts in O-line as RFR for the AC, played for former UND player Chet Stevenson and he was offered preferred walk on here and there. Obviously both schools underestimated him. We need to speed up our facility upgrades. That will make a big difference for recruiting. Faison needs to continue to upgrade the non-conf schedule. I am anxious to see if he can get either the Gophers or Tar Heels. We aren't there yet and everyone can see that. The kids we have need to be more disciplined and can't miss tackles or pick up dumb penalties or turn the ball over. We aren't good enough. Eliminate the things like that and we have two more wins. There is more a sense of urgency but for now don't forget this is our first year eligible. If we improve steadily we will be there soon. Biggest key of course is we need better players to compete at this level. We are getting there at some positions but we need to pick it up a bit.

I feel like Mannausau has had long enough to get his defense to be his and I don't like what I see. I don't like a lack of passion and fundamentals and I don't like that we had more talented LBs and DLs as a D2 school, which is a complete joke. Guys like Wolf and Schmidt and Schultz and Babington-Johnson and Digger and Hendrickson and ever Mannausau himself were wayyyy better and more athletic than what we have now, and they took guys heads off every game and didn't leave gaps wide open and blow coverages. Mussman is an offensive guy by trait so his mark is on the offense he has limited influence on the defense by comparison. The offense is really good for the most part and the defense sucks.

If we could get Tibesar it would be a perfect fit.

I feel like Mannausau has had long enough to get his defense to be his and I don't like what I see. I don't like a lack of passion and fundamentals and I don't like that we had more talented LBs and DLs as a D2 school, which is a complete joke. Guys like Wolf and Schmidt and Schultz and Babington-Johnson and Digger and Hendrickson and ever Mannausau himself were wayyyy better and more athletic than what we have now, and they took guys heads off every game and didn't leave gaps wide open and blow coverages. Mussman is an offensive guy by trait so his mark is on the offense he has limited influence on the defense by comparison. The offense is really good for the most part and the defense sucks.

If we could get Tibesar it would be a perfect fit.

It would be...but dollar-wise I don't see how to make it work, there'll be other opportunities for him out there. Maybe match Mussman's deal and give him the Associate Head Coach - Defense title. Just thinking out loud here...