SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I easily know 100 people who were once UND supporters and now only go to Fargo games. NDSU's success coupled with UND's lack thereof has negatively affected UND's fan base.

Wow...you must roll with a different...and fickle crowd...cause I don't know of 1.

Guess I need to get out more. ;)

Absolutely. With winning and playoff games, UND football will rebuild support along with increased attendance.

I have driven I-29 up and down for years for FB and hockey and have never seen "red taillights" in numbers up and back for FB games even in the '01-'03 golden years when the Alerus was full. These crossover fans obviously don't travel between Fargo and GF.

Again just have not seen this crossover with those I accociate with from both schools.

Wow...you must roll with a different...and fickle crowd...cause I don't know of 1.

Guess I need to get out more. ;)

There are a lot of people in North Dakota and Western Minnesota that did not attend either university but they like football. If you were not loyal to a particular university, would you enjoy watching UND's current football product over NDSU's team? The answer is definitely no.

The relationship between winning and attendance is relevant in all sports. You win, you draw crowds. You lose, and you lose attendance. That's just the way it is. And the crowd I "roll with" is not different, they just enjoy quality football - something Mussman has not been able to produce.

There are a lot of people in North Dakota and Western Minnesota that did not attend either university but they like football. If you were not loyal to a particular University, would you enjoy watching UND's current football product over NDSU's team? The answer is definitely no.

The relationship between winning and attendance is relevant in all sports. You win, you draw crowds. You lose, and you lose attendance. That's just the way it is. And the crowd I "roll with" is not different, they just enjoy quality football - something Mussman and UND haven't been able to produce.

I totally get your comments...I'm just stating if you attended one of the 2 schools or were raised in this state your loyalty is pretty well cemented...whether winning or losing.

The relationship between winning and attendance is relevant in all sports.

Really? I thought all the yellow chairs in the Pittsburgh NFL stadium and orange chairs in the Miami NFL stadium today were unrelated to the on-field product. ;)

I understand the point you're making, but UND is competing with the ac whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. In fact, the truth is, prior to even setting foot on the athletic field with a big sky opponent, the UND staff will need to defeat the ac on the recruiting trail. And I won't even get into public perception.

I would also argue that Mussman has tried, and failed, to assemble what he believes is the type of team needed to play Big Sky football(whatever that means). At the expense of the type of football that brought the program to prominence.

We are on our third offensive philosophy in 6 years. That is part of what bugs me. Need to get a plan and stick with it.

It's more important UND wins in the regular season and makes the playoffs. Until that happens we will never win any public battle. It doesn't matter if we would get very recruit they wanted. That's why we build a team to compete in the Big Sky.

We are on our third offensive philosophy in 6 years. That is part of what bugs me. Need to get a plan and stick with it.

It's more important UND wins in the regular season and makes the playoffs. Until that happens we will never win any public battle. It doesn't matter if we would get very recruit they wanted. That's why we build a team to compete in the Big Sky.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel here. Sam Houston has owned the Big Sky with running and defense. The ac? More balanced than Sam, but it comes down to running (because they run to set up the pass) and defense. SDSU? Yes, running and defense.

Muss has been making the offense way more complex than it needs to be.

I totally get your comments...I'm just stating if you attended one of the 2 schools or were raised in this state your loyalty is pretty well cemented...whether winning or losing.

Not anymore. This stopped when I was growing up. When NDSU and UND quit playing in football it changed things. It has been 10 years since these two teams have played. Guess who the kids are cheering for? Guess who parents are dressing their kids up as for Halloween? NDSU Bison. Are there hardcore fans that will never switch? Of course. Plenty of them. But if the teams aren't playing....people are a little less tied to a specific school.

Not anymore. This stopped when I was growing up. When NDSU and UND quit playing in football it changed things. It has been 10 years since these two teams have played. Guess who the kids are cheering for? Guess who parents are dressing their kids up as for Halloween? NDSU Bison. Are there hardcore fans that will never switch? Of course. Plenty of them. But if the teams aren't playing....people are a little less tied to a specific school.

Agreed. Back in the 1970's and 1980's, North Dakota was Minnesota Viking country. Enter Brett Favre, a Vikings Les-Steckel era, and a Packers Super Bowl title in the 1990's, and suddenly North Dakota is Packer territory.

I would question the character, loyalty, conviction and overall backbone of any person that crosses over from either side of the football rivalry because of the rise in success of one side.

History shows this football rivalry is cyclical. The cycle will come back to UND again.

When that day comes, those fence jumpers can just stay where they are.

• Upvote 3

I would question the character, loyalty, conviction and overall backbone of any person that crosses over from either side of the football rivalry because of the rise in success of one side.

History shows this football rivalry is cyclical. The cycle will come back to UND again.

People like us don't switch, but there's a new generation which has no idea what you are talking about.

On message boards, according to NDSU fans, NDSU always won the recruiting battle, even in 1995-2003. The results on the field show differently in those years, in spite of UND having "vastly inferior" athletes. NDSU mocked UND basketball recruits 4 yrs ago. Said they would be pathetic. It always the same story. The difference is that UND hasn't even been at the SDSU level the last few years in football with coaching.

Love those fans. Made a lot of money off my ill informed Bison friends. The rumor back then was that they were going to replace the Fargo Dome turf with paper since the Bison always won on paper. :lol:

• Upvote 2

History hasn't taken place with these schools in division one....without playing one another on top of that. Remember...Navy and Notre Dame used to have annual national title implications too ;)

Honestly guys, who gives a crap about NDSU and UND and some of the recent discussion. It amazes me how one or two stupid posts from some Bison fan force the discussion into topics for a separate forum. Did anyone watch the game this week?!? To me, it cemented my support of canning this staff. The decisions during the game are pathetic. To see two receivers limping through their patterns was mind boggling. I have never been a fan of the OC hire. He is too young and too inexperienced. I don't know who made the decision to play Miller and Garmin ahead of Sparks but that's an awful decision. Maybe Mussman loved Jer because of his Iowa ties. Someone loved him enough to pull his redshirt! If Mackey is the best we have on the defensive backfield then we have also dropped the ball on recruiting as well. Tackling is barely improved over last year. There is constant confusion in the secondary leaving receivers wide open. Special teams has been questionable at best. I guess the only thing that would save his ass is the damn contract.

• Upvote 1

What's more important winning recruiting battles with NDSU or winning recruiting battles with MSU, UM, EWU and other top teams in OUR conference. Gone is the NCC days where we compete against SU for recruits. We are in the BSC and need to get the better players away from OUR conference mates. If we can't win against our own conference why should NDSU matter (as we won't see them in the playoffs).

In by-gone days that costume would be black and white striped coveralls (ball and chain optional) or an orange jump suit.

It had to be said. ;)

Yah but it's an unfair comparision there are so many options to dress your kid up as an FU bison - pizza delivery guy, Petition Gatherer, Flasher, Shoplifter, Best Buy Clerk, Alley Fighter. However UND also has options - astronauts, doctors, lawyers (scary).

And there is no way a true UND Supporter would every cross over - casual fans of football maybe, but not a UND supporter. And I highly doubt casual fans are writing any checks to FU. Casual fans come and go - UND has a lot of casual fans of hockey (in that they aren't connected to UND in any way other than their interest in the team.).