SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

and Brett Favre finished his career in Minnesota, Wade Boggs went from the Red Sox to the Yankees, the list goes on and on.

you gotta think careers like Hazelton's would benefit from resurrecting a program like UND's current situation. would be a feather in his hat, much like what Bohl has done for his career at NDSU. (not that he is a shoo-in for the job, but he might be interested, and if he is, he should be considered)

Yes the year they went 3-8. That was also the year all the genuises on the chat rooms were calling to fire Bohl and all his coordinators. Dang - guess their AD doesn't listen to the chat rooms the way ours does. Not saying a change isn't needed just saying this thread continues to fuel negativity that isn't necessary. Just sayin (oh and I do beleve that all opinioins are still welcome in a chat room.)

Find me a player quote from that SU team please. When your "face" of the program/team this season in Hardin makes that comment it speaks volums of what has gone inside that locker room this season. This wasn't a 3rd string So. guard spouting off.

BTW...my unicorn needs to be taken for a walk around the dewey meadow outside my house. You free???

Disagree that we need someone with D1 experience and that this is a long term project.

So you're saying that the new guy will turn this this around immediately and it's OK to expect this? So, no playoffs next year for us, the "Fire ............" threads will start showing up in November.

I really think we need to lower our expectations about a fast turn around. We didn't get her over night, and it won't be solved over night.

what d1 expierence does Caruso have?

we need a d1 guy who has been around d1 talent to evaluate it.

You don't necessarily need a DI guy, you need a guy that knows the region and has proven himself as either a coach or coordinator. If you want a proven successful head coach that guy will likely be coming from the non-DI ranks.

With that said Caruso has a pretty good job at St Thomas. It is a Bohl like position where he has all the resources needed to dominate at that level. UND would need to come in with a serous offer.

Glenn Caruso explains how to build a program

WOW! Like this guy. DI experience or not.

Caruso would be the perfect fit for UND. No doubt in my mind he would be successful. Hazelton would be good but Caruso just has that leadership quality. St. Thomas has given him the tools he has needed to win. They could easily be a D2 team...probably should be.

Honestly, almost every possible candidate that has been mentioned sounds like a great guy for the job. This could be because we just want something new. Anyways I have a feeling that if Muss is in fact let go on Monday that the HC that is eventually hired will be someone that no one has mentioned.

I was in Sacramento and spoke with my nephew after the game. He said the feeling in the locker room was more a sense of relief than disappointment. Everything mentioned by him and by Hardin suggests that they definitely lack leadership at the top. My observations of the game for what they are worth:

Offense: both QB's played like redshirt freshmen. Sadly, these young men needed a top notch coordinator to help them out and the team is no where close to that. The o-line needs to run block better. They don't explode off of the line. During the game both Townsend and Jackson were injured and limping. Rather that put Bridges and Young in the game, the brilliant OC has two hobbling players running token routes. PJ Sparks proved he is the best RB ON THE TEAM. I too am glad they figured that out in the last game.

Defense: d-backs are horrible...period. We need a couple of dominant defensive players. They actually didn't play that poorly yesterday but still have up too many big plays and miss too many tackles.

Coaching: they need to be moved on!

I was in Sacramento and spoke with my nephew after the game. He said the feeling in the locker room was more a sense of relief than disappointment. Everything mentioned by him and by Hardin suggests that they definitely lack leadership at the top. My observations of the game for what they are worth:

Offense: both QB's played like redshirt freshmen. Sadly, these young men needed a top notch coordinator to help them out and the team is no where close to that. The o-line needs to run block better. They don't explode off of the line. During the game both Townsend and Jackson were injured and limping. Rather that put Bridges and Young in the game, the brilliant OC has two hobbling players running token routes. PJ Sparks proved he is the best RB ON THE TEAM. I too am glad they figured that out in the last game.

Defense: d-backs are horrible...period. We need a couple of dominant defensive players. They actually didn't play that poorly yesterday but still have up too many big plays and miss too many tackles.

Coaching: they need to be moved on!

The upsetting thing with PJ Sparks is this whole season he should've started but it never happened. That's just blatant incompetence on the part of the coaches. Same goes for a number of younger players on defense.

A fiery leader who demands respect is what this team needs at the head coaching position. Mussman is not that guy.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure we have a quarterback on the roster that will be the starting qb in 2 years. Maybe, maybe not. I have not been sold on either one.

I can understand this opinion, but truthfully I think it's on Muss for allowing the situation to occur whereby all quarterbacks on the roster were freshmen rather than bringing in another transfer to bridge the gap until next season. None of the great UND quarterbacks of the past were asked to start in their freshman year, so we don't really know whether or not they would have had similar struggles. I suspect they would have, particularly with absolutely no running game and a struggling offensive line.

Based on the difference between Goska and Hendrickson from 2010, where UND struggled just to complete a simple pass, to 2011 (for Goska) and 2012 (for Hendrickson), where both played very well, I think there's still reason for optimism notwithstanding this year's struggles.

This is part of my point. I don't see anything enticing about coming to UND as the head guy for him. It seems like an enormous step backwards, regardless of money. Where do you go from UND? He is already in a great position as a DC at a Mid level FBS school who has position coach experience at a major FBS program. Not to mention a national championship as a DC in FCS.

Just seems to me like UND wouldn't be a move in the right direction for his career.

The same could have been said of Bohl tens years ago. WTF go to Fargo were they could fill up half the stadium in 2002?

The same could have been said of Bohl tens years ago. WTF go to Fargo were they could fill up half the stadium in 2002?

Not true.

When Bohl came in he was asked to bring a program with all of the support a program could ask for back to where it had once been. He was asked to transition a team to Division I and was given all the resources to do so and he knew it.

Can the same be said for UND? Not from what I have read on this board. UND football will always take a backseat to hockey, according to many people on this board.

Until football is given it's due at UND, the cream of the crop coaches will never see the position as enticing.