SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I thought I recalled hearing that, but could very well be wrong.

What are your thoughts?! Should the firing have already happened this morning or yesterday, or is it best to wait?!

Mine?! IF the move is going to be made, it needs to and should happens NOW!!

He should have been canned after the Montana State game, but the latest should be by 5pm today. Any later and you risk losing out on fans, recruits, transfers, and most of all a new head coach.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I thought I recalled hearing that, but could very well be wrong.

What are your thoughts?! Should the firing have already happened this morning or yesterday, or is it best to wait?!

Mine?! IF the move is going to be made, it needs to and should happen NOW!!

Sit tight.

He should have been canned after the Montana State game, but the latest should be by 5pm today. Any later and you risk losing out on fans, recruits, transfers, and most of all a new head coach.

Firing Mussman in the middle of the season would have accomplished absolutely nothing.

You do realize there is still a week left in the regular season right? Please explain how your last sentence makes any sense?

• Upvote 1

Mine?! IF the move is going to be made, it needs to and should happen NOW!!

It has to be done by the end of the day today. If not, your not doing either the program or the coaches any favors. I believe the decision has been made and will be announced this afternoon.......one way or the other.

Firing Mussman in the middle of the season would have accomplished absolutely nothing.

You do realize there is still a week left in the regular season right? Please explain how your last sentence makes any sense?

compared to all that was accomplished in the last few months anyways ???

It should have been done the year they won the GWC. We should have lost to Sioux Falls that year. Muss should donate most of the salary he's earned since then to Brent Goska.

It has to be done by the end of the day today. If not, your not doing either the program or the coaches any favors. I believe the decision has been made and will be announced this afternoon.......one way or the other.

Is anyone monitoring the twitter world for a "scoop?"

Is anyone monitoring the twitter world for a "scoop?"

Yes. The only thing interesting so far is some back and forth between McFeely and Reusse regarding Caruso. Reusse is touting him for he Columbia job. McFeely tweeted back that UND will likely be looking soon.

So if days, weeks, months go by and Muss is still the active coach then you lose out instead of getting a jump start on the new UND 2.0 (as Sic calls it). If you are going to fire him then get it over with. Pro coaches get canned all the time in mid season, it's a sign that change is coming.

Meeting starts at 9, Muss is fired at 9:02, what's taking so long? I'd say if we don't hear something by mid afternoon he's staying.

It's possible that one or both of them (Faison and Mussman) had previous engagements scheduled for this morning (they are busy people) and couldn't get out of them. Let's not jump to conclusions until we hear something definitive from Faison.

Just spoke with my nephew and he said the players had not heard anything as of this morning.

One would think a team meeting would be scheduled to notify players first, if something was imminent. There should also be some type of "End of the season" meeting I would guess as well. If there isn't an impromptu "team meeting" called/scheduled today, does that indicate Muss may be around for another year?

It's possible that one or both of them (Faison and Mussman) had previous engagements scheduled for this morning (they are busy people) and couldn't get out of them. Let's not jump to conclusions until we hear something definitive from Faison.

Will there even be a presser if Muss is not going to be fired? What would Faison say: "After full consideration, I have decided to honor the existing contract between UND and Muss, and Muss will be coaching UND football team next year"??

That messege alone might be enough to scare recruits off, given future uncertainty.

So if days, weeks, months go by and Muss is still the active coach then you lose out instead of getting a jump start on the new UND 2.0 (as Sic calls it). If you are going to fire him then get it over with. Pro coaches get canned all the time in mid season, it's a sign that change is coming.

You said we would lose out on a head coach, recruits, transfers, etc if he wasn't fired by 5 pm today. That's a little over the top. The majority of candidates that would apply still have at least one week left in their season. I do think that if something is going to be done, it needs to be sooner than later and I'm guessing a decision has been made one way or another (likely a while back) so there is no point to delay announcing it. If he is going to be around another year, than it makes sense to make a statement reaffirming that, otherwise you have potential recruits not knowing if they will be playing for the guy actually recruiting them.

Will there even be a presser if Muss is not going to be fired? What would Faison say: "After full consideration, I have decided to honor the existing contract between UND and Muss, and Muss will be coaching UND football team next year"??

That messege alone might be enough to scare recruits off, given future uncertainty.

My point is the press conference (if Faison has decided to make a change) probably wouldn't happen until this afternoon.

I'm not sure enough has been made of the fact that Wayne Nelson, of all people, actually felt as though he had to directly ask Faison the question after the game on Saturday night. Wayne is probably more non-controversial and non-confrontational than any sports writer you will ever find. He would never have asked that question if the only chatter about this was coming from siouxsports.com and people around town. He almost had to have been hearing things from influential alums and/or people within the athletic department.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure enough has been made of the fact that Wayne Nelson, of all people, actually felt as though he had to directly ask Faison the question after the game on Saturday night. Wayne is probably more non-controversial and non-confrontational than any sports writer you will ever find. He would never have asked that question if the only chatter about this was coming from siouxsports.com and people around town. He almost had to have been hearing things from influential alums and/or people within the athletic department.

Don't forget Tom Miller said something about it on a live chat last week. I don't think he would have done that if there wasn't something to it.

Don't forget Tom Miller said something about it on a live chat last week. I don't think he would have done that if there wasn't something to it.

I agree, but Tom has actually been known to be, shall we way, a bit less politically correct than some others at the Herald sports department. When Wayne acknowledges an issue, that says a lot.