SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Not true.

When Bohl came in he was asked to bring a program with all of the support a program could ask for back to where it had once been. He was asked to transition a team to Division I and was given all the resources to do so and he knew it.

Can the same be said for UND? Not from what I have read on this board. UND football will always take a backseat to hockey, according to many people on this board.

Until football is given it's due at UND, the cream of the crop coaches will never see the position as enticing.

A UND coaching staff has 63 schollies and a new IPF coming aboard. How many MVFC or Big Sky teams can say that? It's not like UND football is stretched for $'s like USD, UNC, NAU, Weber, Ind St, Idaho St, etc.

NAU is an example of a program that get by with much less than UND. USD too.

Caruso: discipline, leadership, academics,Twin Cities recruiting ties, and relatively young and not expensive. What's not to like?

I personally like Caruso, but I'm afraid the lack of any dI assistant experience is going to be a problem from Faison's perspective. FWIW, Tom Miller has said more than once in the Herald's live chats that he doesn't believe UND will go with a current head coach from dII or dIII.

I personally like Caruso, but I'm afraid the lack of any dI assistant experience is going to be a problem from Faison's perspective. FWIW, Tom Miller has said more than once in the Herald's live chats that he doesn't believe UND will go with a current head coach from dII or dIII.

Caruso was OC at NDSU and USD before becoming head coach at Macalester and then St Thomas.

Hazelton, Caruso, Lennon, Bubba, DeBoer, and who else should be on the list?

Caruso was OC at NDSU and SDSU before becoming head coach at Macalester and then St Thomas.

Hazelton, Caruso, Lennon, Bubba, DeBoer, and who else should be on the list?

Brooks Bollinger. Maybe a couple of Nebraska assistants since Pelini is likely going to be fired? I mentioned earlier in this thread that Barney Cotton and Faison were at New Mexico St. at the same time. And if non-dI coaches get consideration, maybe Lance Leipold?

Not true.

When Bohl came in he was asked to bring a program with all of the support a program could ask for back to where it had once been. He was asked to transition a team to Division I and was given all the resources to do so and he knew it.

Can the same be said for UND? Not from what I have read on this board. UND football will always take a backseat to hockey, according to many people on this board.

Until football is given it's due at UND, the cream of the crop coaches will never see the position as enticing.

Any sport will take a backseat to one playing in a $100 million arena but that doesn't mean there isn't support for the program. Has Mussman been paid similar to other FCS programs? No but he didn't start as an FCS coach.

Faison has shown he is willing to pay someone when they start as a D1/FCS coach. See Brewster vs Jones for that comparison. Or see how much Idalski makes, although part of that has to do with Title IX.

A new IPF, an indoor stadium, new football offices, new jerseys, etc tells me that UND is willing to give football the support it needs, especially in hiring a new coach.

I hope they pay someone in the $175k range with bonuses based on accomplishments and ticket sales.

Program support?

Like a dome in a northern climate?

New locker room facilities?

Indoor practice facility?

Or most importantly, fans who still care (as evidenced by the passion in this thread).

Tough to use a fanboard as a evidence fans still care, not saying it isn't true...just wouldn't use a fanboard as the evidence.

Why did he leave?

USC linebacker's needed someone to lead them.

Tough to use a fanboard as a evidence fans still care, not saying it isn't true...just wouldn't use a fanboard as the evidence.

But we should use bison fan posters opinion that no one at UND cares about anything other than hockey.

• Upvote 1

Fire Mussman.

New indoor practice facility on the way. Indoor stadium. Premier FCS conference. It's a good gig. We'll get a good coach.

Only typing majors from the college of home economics at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science would think otherwise.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Not true.

I gotta hand it to you. You really are hilarious.

There's also an elephant in the room that hasn't been mentioned: having the most dominant program in the nation 80 miles away. IMHO, the guy willing to step into the UND job is one with some loyalty to UND, or someone with ambition to use success at UND as a step to somewhere bigger (Caruso?). I really wonder if the candidates with experience at the ac would consider UND a place that they could compete with what the ac has built.

I don't want this to get into a discussion of d2 glory days. That stuff is a distant memory. Had UND taken the offer the ac extended and been their partner in the move up, I believe things would be much different today. Both in public perception of UND football and the quality of product on the field.

UND football has a long way to go and they aren't just struggling to get to the middle of the pack in the BSC, they have the unenviable distinction of being compared by their recruiting base to what has now become the gold standard program of FCS football.

It will take a special guy to walk into this situation. Roger showed it can be done, but that task also took several years.

• Upvote 3

There's also an elephant in the room that hasn't been mentioned: having the most dominant program in the nation 80 miles away. IMHO, the guy willing to step into the UND job is one with some loyalty to UND, or someone with ambition to use success at UND as a step to somewhere bigger (Caruso?). I really wonder if the candidates with experience at the ac would consider UND a place that they could compete with what the ac has built.

I don't want this to get into a discussion of d2 glory days. That stuff is a distant memory. Had UND taken the offer the ac extended and been their partner in the move up, I believe things would be much different today. Both in public perception of UND football and the quality of product on the field.

UND football has a long way to go and they aren't just struggling to get to the middle of the pack in the BSC, they have the unenviable distinction of being compared by their recruiting base to what has now become the gold standard program of FCS football.

It will take a special guy to walk into this situation. Roger showed it can be done, but that task also took several years.

Great post.

Something that I have been thinking during this entire conversation, but realized it wouldn't be received very well so I opted to not bring it up.

• Upvote 1

Coach Thomas didn't have the facilities to offer recruits that a replacement here would have. We need to build a team to compete with the Big Sky, not FU.

Great post.

Something that I have been thinking during this entire conversation, but realized it wouldn't be received very well so I opted to not bring it up.

Somehow UND, which NDSU never schedules in football and plays in a different conference, is badly hurt by NDSU, but SDSU isn't? SDSU always played 3rd fiddle until the Mussman era.

Coach Thomas didn't have the facilities to offer recruits that a replacement here would have. We need to build a team to compete with the Big Sky, not FU.

You guys keep touting this IPF as the savior of the program. I just don't see it.

Absolutely it will be nice to have. But, I am not sure an 18 year old will see it the same way.

NDSU seems to have done fine without a dedicated IPF, same with UNI, Montana and Montana St. (Cold weather teams.)

Somehow UND, which NDSU never schedules in football and plays in a different conference, is badly hurt by NDSU, but SDSU isn't? SDSU always played 3rd fiddle until the Mussman era.

If you don't think SDSU is hurt by recruiting against NDSU, I'm not sure there is anything left to discuss with you.

You guys keep touting this IPF as the savior of the program. I just don't see it.

Absolutely it will be nice to have. But, I am not sure an 18 year old will see it the same way.

NDSU seems to have done fine without a dedicated IPF, same with UNI, Montana and Montana St. (Cold weather teams.)

It'll be big for UND because cold and snowy conditions means no practice outside in Grand Forks. NDSU can use the dome pretty much whenever they want in the spring so it's pretty much a moot point.