SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I seriously doubt this administration is going to pick an nationality/ethnicity as a logo and nickname. Plus, for those of us who are not of nordic decent will not cling to it. More than likely they pick a lame animal that a bunch of other institutions use and everybody hates it.

Just like the non-natives did not cling to the Sioux nickname?

The "Norse Force"?" Maybe...

Oh well... any other word on whether the Spirit Lake tribe is pursuing any other legal avenues. (It may be too late, but I'm just curious...)

I looked at the Northern Kentucky website. They use that moniker, "Norse Force".

It seems okay to me.

I seriously doubt this administration is going to pick an nationality/ethnicity as a logo and nickname. Plus, for those of us who are not of nordic decent will not cling to it. More than likely they pick a lame animal that a bunch of other institutions use and everybody hates it.

or weather phenomena (though I do like Wild Nokotas and Tsunami)

I'm expecting the final moniker choices will come down to:

- moniker based on existing state nickname (however, not "The Sioux State" nickname)

- apex preditor living in state (no, no horses or fish)

- regional weather phenomina

- vague, undefined term

So, I'd expect a final list looking like:

- Rough Riders

- Cougars or Great Horned Owls

- Blizzard or HailStorm*

- something crappy and vague like (Wild, Magic, Shock,) ... Spirit :glare:

I still like "Reaper" or "Green Reaper" but I'm sure that's too scary for the academic (bed-wetting) crowd.

* the sky does get a greenish tint before a hail storm.

• 3 weeks later...

There are only a half a dozen schools on the east coast that use the name Pride. No schools west of the Appalachians or larger than Hoefstra University. Pride could have several meanings and a lion logo.

I can hear echos of cheers of "Sioux Pride" or "Dakota Pride". Uniforms could have only the name "Dakota" on them... Reactions?

There are only a half a dozen schools on the east coast that use the name Pride. No schools west of the Appalachians or larger than Hoefstra University. Pride could have several meanings and a lion logo.

I can hear echos of cheers of "Sioux Pride" or "Dakota Pride". Uniforms could have only the name "Dakota" on them... Reactions?

NO!! That was one of the finalists for Central's new nickname. It was between Pride and Knights.

Isn't the NDSU fight song officially called "We are the Pride"? See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_are_the_Pride

NDSU's marching band is the Gold Star Band but in the past was sometimes called the Pride of North Dakota.

SDSU's marching band is called the "Pride of the Dakotas".

Isn't the NDSU fight song officially called "We are the Pride"? See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_are_the_Pride

NDSU's marching band is the Gold Star Band but in the past was sometimes called the Pride of North Dakota.

UND's band is the Pride of the North.

Indeed you are correct......but then again, UND still stole the logo from Notre Dame.....so that probably would not stop them....LOL ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Dominions

1.the power or right of governing and controlling; sovereign authority.

2.rule; control; domination.

3.a territory, usually of considerable size, in which a single rulership holds sway.

4.lands or domains subject to sovereignty or control.

5.Government . a territory constituting a self-governing commonwealth and being one of a number of such territories united in a community of nations, or empire: formerly applied to self-governing divisions of the British Empire, as Canada and New Zealand.

Doms for short.

UND taking back control of the name and control of the university. The dominant university of the Dakotas.

Of course a certain crowd will turn it into Dominos and pizza delivery or pizza boys, but then again, they will do that regardless of the name.

Dominions

1.the power or right of governing and controlling; sovereign authority.

2.rule; control; domination.

3.a territory, usually of considerable size, in which a single rulership holds sway.

4.lands or domains subject to sovereignty or control.

5.Government . a territory constituting a self-governing commonwealth and being one of a number of such territories united in a community of nations, or empire: formerly applied to self-governing divisions of the British Empire, as Canada and New Zealand.

Doms for short.

UND taking back control of the name and control of the university. The dominant university of the Dakotas.

Of course a certain crowd will turn it into Dominos and pizza delivery or pizza boys, but then again, they will do that regardless of the name.

I think that I am going to have to pass on a name that once described Canada

Indeed you are correct......but then again, UND still stole the logo from Notre Dame.....so that probably would not stop them....LOL wink.gif

UND did not steal the interlocking from Notre Dame. UND has it trademarked and Notre Dame uses it with permission from UND and pays some royalties as I have heard it. But UND owns it.

UND did not steal the interlocking from Notre Dame. UND has it trademarked and Notre Dame uses it with permission from UND and pays some royalties as I have heard it. But UND owns it.

I started looking for any info on this and didn't find anything yet. But I did find an article where Dave Kolpack calls UND "the state's flagship school".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40183761/ns/us_news-life/t/logo-logo-nd-school-changes-its-brand/

Because of a few proverbial cracks and crannies in the intellectual property laws, both schools rightly claim, and own, property rights in their interlocking ND logos. Why North Dakota "modernized" its logo recently I do not know. The traditional one was serving just fine from where I sit. Merchandising and branding decisions I suspect.

Because of a few proverbial cracks and crannies in the intellectual property laws, both schools rightly claim, and own, property rights in their interlocking ND logos. Why North Dakota "modernized" its logo recently I do not know. The traditional one was serving just fine from where I sit. Merchandising and branding decisions I suspect.

Additionally, note the top line of this PDF from fightingsioux.com: http://www.fightingsioux.com/downloads1/340779.pdf

"The Interlocking ND mark must always be used in conjunction with another University of North Dakota trademark as illustrated with these examples."