SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Rumor has it that it's decided and It's gonna be the Roughriders, those who live outside Grand Forks won't know and won't care that a local high school has the same nicknames. That isn't uncommon around the country.

Do you know if there is any truth to the rumor? The paper just had a story saying that it would cost something like half a million dollars to develop a new nickname. (IIRC)

You are correct. How about the UND Peace for "Peace Garden State" and to appease all the PC ultra liberal hippie idiots out there!

Peace, man.

While I agree with the intent and the overall concept, might it not be that we would be subject to some ribbing and probably sniping by our numerous critics out there?

That's what rumors are - rumors. No way to know the truth - UND had to put those dollars in there otherwise questions would have been asked I suppose. I should say that it wouldn't bother me if this was the truth - this is another no win situation because you will never please everyone.

So because a high school uses Rough Riders UND should abandon the idea? Although I can appreciate the originality of the Nokotas idea I wonder if it has too much native american connotation to it (I realize a nakota is a horse)?

Nokotas is good. Bison also has a native american connotation. as in tatanka, the sacred bison

Rumor has it that it's decided and It's gonna be the Roughriders, those who live outside Grand Forks won't know and won't care that a local high school has the same nicknames. That isn't uncommon around the country.

Roughriders is good. could be so much worse

That's what rumors are - rumors. No way to know the truth - UND had to put those dollars in there otherwise questions would have been asked I suppose. I should say that it wouldn't bother me if this was the truth - this is another no win situation because you will never please everyone.

truer words have never been spoken

While I agree with the intent and the overall concept, might it not be that we would be subject to some ribbing and probably sniping by our numerous critics out there?

Oh, I was totally kidding and being a jerk towards hippies. I think "Peace" would be the worst name ever.

It wouldn't surprise me if they already have a name picked out. Or a couple names. I am sure there is NOT a list of 50 names. IMO Roughriders would be the #1 choice and #2 would be a name associated with the flame logo UND has. UND Flames? (I know Calgary has it). I say this as the nickname commitees choice not mine.

I don't think UND should be coping Red River I vote Norsemen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen

Norsemen is used to refer to the group of people as a whole who spoke what is now called the Old Norse language belonging to the North Germanic branch of Indo-European languages, especially Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Swedish and Danish in their earlier forms.

Nope, no good. The Sioux are a group a people and look where we are now.

On August 5, 2005, the NCAA deemed "hostile and abusive" monikers of "racial/ethnic/nation origin" derivation.

The NCAA can't figure out that Irish and Vandals fit that criteria, but they'd surely figure it out for UND if it picked "Norsemen".

So because a high school uses Rough Riders UND should abandon the idea? Although I can appreciate the originality of the Nokotas idea I wonder if it has too much native american connotation to it (I realize a nakota is a horse)?

first off, what's a "nakota"? A Nokota is the offical North Dakota State Horse. The word is a combination of the name NOrth daKOTA. The name is owned by the state so getting permission shouldn't be a problem.

As to the Rough Riders, yes I do believe the idea should be abandoned. It's already being used in the Grand Forks area and will only lead to confusion. First in time is first in right.

How could they? Its the name of the state.

Cause its a name of an Indian tribe. http://www.bigorrin.org/dakota_kids.htm

There is no real difference. "Lakota" and "Dakota" are different pronunciations of the same tribal name, which means "the allies." One Sioux dialect has the letter "L" in it, and the other dialect does not. This is only a pronunciation difference, not a political one. Of the 13 Sioux political subdivisions, seven pronounce the word "Lakota," four pronounce it "Dakota," one pronounces it "Nakota," and one is split between pronouncing it "Dakota" and "Nakota." But they all consider themselves part of the same overall culture.

On August 5, 2005, the NCAA deemed "hostile and abusive" monikers of "racial/ethnic/nation origin" derivation.

The NCAA can't figure out that Irish and Vandals fit that criteria, but they'd surely figure it out for UND if it picked "Norsemen".

That is why those countries will hold a referendum and support the name or get the ambassadors from those countries to approve of it

yes, it is the real name of the Sioux, but it is the name of the state. I don't think even the NCAA can take the name of the state away from the university & force the University of North Dakota to be called the University of North. ;)

I wouldn't put anything past the NCAA. Pretty soon NDSU, USD, SDSU and about 40 other states with Indian names will be on their list.

As to the Rough Riders, yes I do believe the idea should be abandoned. It's already being used in the Grand Forks area and will only lead to confusion. First in time is first in right.

The Big XII school (Iowa State) in Ames, IA, and the high school in Ames, IA, have a common nickname: Cyclones.

And what's the state nickname of North Dakota: The Rough Rider State. (<-- that existed before GFRRHS did, there's "first in time ... ")

Here is a website with state name origins. Many of the state names have some type of Native American reference or background...

http://www.factmonst...a/A0854966.html

Iowa derives from the name of the Kiowa tribe, as Illinois derives from the Illini Confederation of tribes, as Utah derives from the Ute tribe.

But again, none of that matters to the NCAA. They have a priapism* for UND and UND alone.

* look it up for yourself

Iowa derives from the name of the Kiowa tribe, as Illinois derives from the Illini Confederation of tribes, as Utah derives from the Ute tribe.

But again, none of that matters to the NCAA. They have a priapism* for UND and UND alone.

* look it up for yourself

Isn't Hawkeyes also named after a Native American chief?