SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I've been thinking a lot about a new nickname for UND. People seem to want something that is both unique (other schools don't use it) and relevant to North Dakota as a state. With these criteria in mind, I suggest the North Dakota Forty Below. As anyone who has spent a winter in North Dakota knows, forty below temps are brutal and can be a killer. Also, the most common adjective that I remember hearing people use to describe temps that cold is bitter, which nicely represents most Sioux fans' feelings about having to give up the Sioux nickname. it also nicely aligns with the flagship sport of hockey's origins in cold climates. It has the net benefit of irritating president Kelley's efforts to clean up the image of UND as it relates to drinking...the mascot could be a forty and beer grandma could start drinking larger beers instead of the standard 12 oz bottles.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek...

So we are gonna drop the indian head logo for a logo of teddy roosevelt who once said--- "I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."

makes sense to me

So we are gonna drop the indian head logo for a logo of teddy roosevelt who once said--- "I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."

makes sense to me

And that man is on Mt. Rushmore!!

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Don't let the PC crowd see this one, either, if you want the team named the Roughriders.

Actually, to me, it sounds like the quote attributed to him about the indians was tongue in cheek.

The NCAA dares not say a single word about "Rough Riders".

Why?

"The "Teddy" award is the highest honor the NCAA may confer on an individual."

Named after President Theodore Roosevelt, whose concern for the conduct of intercollegiate athletics led to the formation of the NCAA in 1906, this annual award is given to an individual "for whom competitive athletics in college and attention to physical well-being thereafter have been important factors in a distinguished career of national significance and achievement."

Source: http://www.ncaa.org/...velt/index.html

Going with "Rough Riders" would be doing exactly what the NCAA does in remembering and honoring and following a great man.

As I've already said: Iowa State (Ames, IA) and Ames High School are both the Cyclones.

North Dakota is the Rough Rider State, and UND represents North Dakota.

Fetch, you're off the rails on this one. Ben Brien gave the logo to UND and REA. Would he "take" it back? What would that make him? And no, he can't. He no longer has claim after his gift and REA and UND claiming legal rights to them. Furthermore, would fans like me go watch some strange CHL team in REA because of a name? No. I watch my alma mater, North Dakota, play hockey (and sometimes football).

Plus, here's a good place for a calm, rational statement or two from 'iramurphy':

You won't consider the fact that this issue is not controlled by UND or our legislature and to do nothing will harm UND and UND athletics. Until that changes then we must drop the name ASAP and move on. If in the future the tribes or someone can change the negative impact on UND and make it again a positive factor for UND and UND athletics then by all means bring it back. Too many people who claim the Big Sky will not dare refuse entry to UND seem to be the same ones who claimed the NCAA would have to back down to the N. Dak. legislature and that clown Carlson. Time to face the facts pal. Name needs to go and that has nothing to do woth courage or quitting. It has to do with priorities and what is best for UND.

do you bounce up & down & text most of the time & stand & block peoples view too ? :p

I never said Ben has claimed it - But if UND drops it - it should go back to him or REA

The Ralph would sell out without UND Students

I think Mr. Engelstead would be so upset with what has transpired that he would rather see a AHL team use the facility & name, than change the name of his team

• Upvote 1

I never said Ben has claimed it - But if UND drops it - it should go back to him or REA

Per the settlement agreement, UND must retain it's claim over the name and logo or transfer them to a namesake tribe. Those are the option or UND is in violation of a legal settlement

Settlement Agreement: http://www.ag.nd.gov/NCAA/SettlementAgreement.pdf , see 2.j "Intellectual Property".

I think Mr. Engelstead would be so upset with what has transpired that he would rather see a AHL team use the facility & name, than change the name of his team

I think Mr. Engelstad was a savvy business man who liked the old ways but accepted that times change, and not always for the better.

My proof: There was an article during construction of REA where Mr. E pointed out that when he started in construction everything was done with a handshake and that today everything required battalions of lawyers and piles of contracts. He said he wished he could do the handshake but had the lawyers on retainer. He changed as the times did.

I'm still going buy season tickets if and when the sioux name is retired (still waiting for a miracle). I dont care if we have no nickname or choose turd sandwhich or the fightin shelterbelts(grand forks county is billed as the" shelterbelt capital of the world"). but i will not buy season tickets for a AHL or any other junior !@#$ fest team and my guess is few will .....it wont fly!!!

There has always been this notion that many UND Hockey Fans were just there for the Social thing or a place to be seen (would that be Alumni ?)

I go for the Hockey & now the wonderful facility - I fell in Love with the Name - Logo & Tradition

UND will never own that Facility

& I will always believe if Ralph were alive he would tear it down

• Upvote 1

The legally binding contracts would disagree with you.

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13086

That document, signed in 2000 by the North Dakota University System chancellor, the UND president and arena officials, specifies that the tenant shall construct a winter sports facility according to plans approved by UND.

It says the facility will be turned over to UND no later than Sept. 30, 2030.