SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

On the Herald site one poster recommended the new name be "Sundogs" which is a cold weather phenomenon and would be a completely unique name with an interesting opportunity to create a cool logo.

I love the Fighting Sioux name but I think that we can't get away with simply no nickname so what do you guys think of this name/logo idea?

Ahh. That's the favorite from BRIDGES. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest that idiotic name. Looks like someone from BRIDGES must have commented in the Herald. Can you imagine being named after some stupid weather phenomenon?

Ahh. That's the favorite from BRIDGES. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest that idiotic name. Looks like someone from BRIDGES must have commented in the Herald. Can you imagine being named after some stupid weather phenomenon?

Yeah, Like the Miami Hurricanes! What a riot!

Sun dogs is pretty lame, though, IMHO. It smacks of some contrived minor league hockey team novelty gimmick!

Sundogs are a weather phenomena that means it's cold and going to get colder.

That's stereotyping North Dakota ... and stereotyping is wrong.

PS - They think it's cute because it's sUNDogs. If you want UND in the name go with scoUNDrels.

I know they all suck! Nothing will compare but I don't want to see some random committee choose some crappy name like the flickertails or force of the north. Lose lose scenario. I would love to see somebody come up with something unique; I try and I come up with nothing.

I know they all suck! Nothing will compare but I don't want to see some random committee choose some crappy name like the flickertails or force of the north. Lose lose scenario. I would love to see somebody come up with something unique; I try and I come up with nothing.

That's why we have to watch these people like a hawk and make sure we don't end up with some stupid name few can rally around.

I love ScoUNDrels. :lol: That's creative usage. Not a fan of Sundogs. I know I'm in the minority, but I do believe it's far better to get a new nickname sooner rather than later. I feel that it's going to be painful either way. If we don't have a nickname, people will continue to hold on to hope that the Sioux name will return. Unfortunately, I don't think thats healthy or realistic to continue to fool oneself into thinking that way. I'm for ripping off the band aid all at once. No doubt it's going to hurt bad (because I'm a hairy sun of a gun) but I might as well get it over with. Let's face it there will be very little consensus on any name. Why? Because everything especially for the first 50 years or so is going to pale to what we had but I say that it's better to get through pain sooner rather than prolong it. No name really stands out to me that have been posted. Someone I think did post Aeros (maybe Mr. Burgraff will like that one too ;) ), that one I'm at least luke warm on, but I honestly do like ScoUNDrels, very unique.

That's why we have to watch these people like a hawk and make sure we don't end up with some stupid name few can rally around.

Good point. My initial reaction was the Hell with it, who cares?

However, ultimately it needs to be a decent name that future generations can be proud to wear and cheer. (Even though I'll probably always yell Sioux!)

Initially, I liked Rough Riders. But, four problems.

1. The CFL team already exists.

2. Red River high school already uses it.

3. Teddy Roosevelt isn't as easily associated with North Dakota as people believe.

4. The obvious condom references.

So, let's keep tossing names about. Yeah, Turd Sandwich isn't going to work... ;)

Good point. My initial reaction was the Hell with it, who cares?

However, ultimately it needs to be a decent name that future generations can be proud to wear and cheer. (Even though I'll probably always yell Sioux!)

Initially, I liked Rough Riders. But, four problems.

1. The CFL team already exists.

2. Red River high school already uses it.

3. Teddy Roosevelt isn't as easily associated with North Dakota as people believe.

4. The obvious condom references.

So, let's keep tossing names about. Yeah, Turd Sandwich isn't going to work... ;)

What about the bare backers then? No condom reference and a very popular rodeo sport :D

On the Herald site one poster recommended the new name be "Sundogs" which is a cold weather phenomenon and would be a completely unique name with an interesting opportunity to create a cool logo.

I love the Fighting Sioux name but I think that we can't get away with simply no nickname so what do you guys think of this name/logo idea?

please, no.

Sioux-nami :D

I got this idea from Geauxsioux in another thread and put a bit of a twist on it

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux of Spirit Lake!

Or get rid of the fighting, and call themselves "Spirit Lake Sioux". Get rid of the Fighting part.

I got this idea from Geauxsioux in another thread and put a bit of a twist on it

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux of Spirit Lake!

I get the feeling that any use of the word Sioux will not be acceptable by the braintrust ;) over at NCAA headquarters. Although they do understand the word when it is spelled 'Sue'.

Been there, done that. Very quickly everyone will stop saying "sundogs" and will just call your team the "dogs" and you'll have a dog mascot. PETA protests soon to follow! :D