SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Additionally, note the top line of this PDF from fightingsioux.com: http://www.fightings...ads1/340779.pdf

"The Interlocking ND mark must always be used in conjunction with another University of North Dakota trademark as illustrated with these examples."

http://www.nd.edu/~observer/09241999/News/0.html

Looks like Notre Dame has rights to theirs. It is different than UND's, not much, but when it comes to sports logos, noticable differences probably have to count.

Sadly, neither of those are an option.

Sadly, I have to agree. Considering the fact that the powers that be have managed to leverage their way or the highway, I think it would be pretty much fruitless to pour any more money (like pouring sand down a rathole) into the fight. I'd go with Nokotas for a new nickname as a first choice. Consider this, we could revise the school song to go with lyrics like this: "Fight on true, We're all for you, We're thousands of strong and loyal souls, We know you'll win every game you're in, No matter how distant the goal, And as we go, we'll show each foe, That we're the toughest team between the poles, We're rough and tough it's true, But we're sportsment through and through, We're the Nokotas of North Dakota U."

What do you think?

Just use "North Dakota" as was the planbefore the rocket scientists from the ND legislature chimed in. Then let sometime pass, heal the wounds, only then consider a new nickname. Insist that itbe as unique as was �The Fighting Sioux." Let it be simple yet clever.Looking at some of the suggestions � "Sharp Tails"? That ain't bad.Norse, Norsemen? Good but already used so no can do. It wasn't onlyScandinavians to come here, plenty of Germans too, �Teutons" would worksthere, tribal, fierce, successful, or "Goths", Germanic tribal peopleoriginating in southern Scandinavia.Sod Busters? Has potential. Rough Riders? Popular but been done, but along thatline how about the "Teddy's" or the "TR's" for our favoriteadopted son, the number one Rough Rider? As for �Roughnecks� that could be it,but having worked in the oilfield, I gotta tell ya the �Roustabouts� are theunsung heroes who can do anything. How about the "Allies"? Or somesynonym as we are a diverse people working together. Hell, it goes on and on.What ever it becomes, copyright it for UND use only. But for now, just plainol' "North Dakota" works for me. Andwhile time passes, it may be our Sioux brethren who broker the successfulreturn of the "Fighting Sioux".

I see a problem with the Teddies. I can just see a headline in the Fargo Forum reading "Bison Pull Down Teddies."

I think a great name that UND could use would be the Thunderbirds. Yes I do realize that out new Big Sky rival is also called the Thunderbirds, but I think that it would be appropriate considering it is a mythical being that is in Lakota Sioux folklore. Not sure how the NCAA would respond to a nickname that has native american roots, but it Southern Utah can use it, then I wouold assume we could too. It is a shame if we have to lose the name 'Fighting Sioux." But I think a great way to honor the Sioux people in our new name is to use a figure from their culture. That is what this is all about. Having a name that honors the Sioux nations of our state. Choosing a name that does so would be the best way to go in my opinion.

Personally, I like the name "Aviators" or the "Aves" for short. I definitely do not want to share a nick name with another school, we're better than that. "Rough Riders" isn't a bad name either although I know many on this board are concerned about the local high school sharing the same name, we could always ask them to change it.

What if UND was the RoughRiders and Red River changed their name to the Riders. That could work and would be more acceptable maybe with Central alumn

I'm not so sure it would be acceptable to Central. Why would they want to change their name, especially since they had it first.

I really think we need to abandon the idea of using Rough Riders and search for something else. I'm still pulling for Nokotas or Nokes for short.

I'm not so sure it would be acceptable to Central. Why would they want to change their name, especially since they had it first. I really think we need to abandon the idea of using Rough Riders and search for something else. I'm still pulling for Nokotas or Nokes for short.

So because a high school uses Rough Riders UND should abandon the idea? Although I can appreciate the originality of the Nokotas idea I wonder if it has too much native american connotation to it (I realize a nakota is a horse)?

Outlaws! Fighting Outlaws! Hawks! Fighting Hawks! Fighting Eagles! With a killer eagle getting ready to grab something with its mean looking claws stretched out!

Yes I know who else has eagles. Force! Fighting Force! My favorite is ********NORTHSTARS********** Und Northstars!

I do like the Out Laws, the rough necks wouldn't be bad either. I believe North Stars is a reference to the state of Minnesota so that wouldn't be acceptable.

I do like the Out Laws, the rough necks wouldn't be bad either. I believe North Stars is a reference to the state of Minnesota so that wouldn't be acceptable.

You are correct. How about the UND Peace for "Peace Garden State" and to appease all the PC ultra liberal hippie idiots out there!

Peace, man.