SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

This^

The other parts of the article didn't surprise nor do I have a big problem with.   Although, I think this 2 year time table seems to be way way too drawn out.   But what you mentioned is what raised my eyebrows too.  If we are not picking something to do with Native Americans, they need to have a special place at the table, why?  As someone already mentioned what about other tribes or people of different ethnic descent...this opens up a whole can of worms- to me that statement is really bizarre, I have no idea what their thinking is on this.  And this isn't because I harbor some hostility for not granting us the right to use the Sioux name- it's really about, why would you even want to open up that can of worms about giving some groups other than alumni and students special treatment at the table?

Totally agree.  Any NA involvment in this new nickname process is just to appease the group that was a huge part of the initial issue to begin with. 

Good question...maybe they need a couple more committees to address this.

If anyone has the least claim to a new name or the process in general it's the nice folks who forced the issue or didn't lift a finger when it counted to save the Sioux moniker, and i made that quite clear when I took the survey.

• Upvote 3

If anyone has the least claim to a new name or the process in general it's the nice folks who forced the issue or didn't lift a finger when it counted to save the Sioux moniker, and i made that quite clear when I took the survey.

As did I. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, it can be ever slower.

Its 2 years for the name.  How much longer for the logo to be implemented.

This crossed my mind as well...............think of the vetting process of all the 3rd graders in the region to select just one to be the "coloring artist".  This will be time consuming!  There will be sad lots of sad kids when she/he isn't selected to be the one to color logo.

Ever since the Redskins drama this past summer I've been wondering if a similar move could be made regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname.  Let me preface by saying I understand that the team will never again be known as the Fighting Sioux nor will we ever see the logo on our jerseys.  I get that part and I've accepted it.  I'm more so wondering if let's say there's someone out there passionate enough to challenge the US Trademark and Patent office on the validity of the trademark on the Sioux logo, similar to what they did for the Redskins logo.  One would think they could use the Redskins case as an example to request the same result.  If it were successful the Sioux logo could then be printed by pretty much anyone because the trademark would no longer be owned by anyone.  I see this more as a side-effort with no relation to the new nickname committee's activities.  The end result being that dedicated Sioux fans would still be able to buy the merchandise and could choose to call them whatever they want.  The way I see it this would also still allow us to be in compliance with the NC$$'s BS requirements.  Has anyone else pondered this?

Ever since the Redskins drama this past summer I've been wondering if a similar move could be made regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname.  Let me preface by saying I understand that the team will never again be known as the Fighting Sioux nor will we ever see the logo on our jerseys.  I get that part and I've accepted it.  I'm more so wondering if let's say there's someone out there passionate enough to challenge the US Trademark and Patent office on the validity of the trademark on the Sioux logo, similar to what they did for the Redskins logo.  One would think they could use the Redskins case as an example to request the same result.  If it were successful the Sioux logo could then be printed by pretty much anyone because the trademark would no longer be owned by anyone.  I see this more as a side-effort with no relation to the new nickname committee's activities.  The end result being that dedicated Sioux fans would still be able to buy the merchandise and could choose to call them whatever they want.  The way I see it this would also still allow us to be in compliance with the NC$$'s BS requirements.  Has anyone else pondered this?

Move on, bro.  Buying Sioux gear for the rest of your life gets you nowhere and only shows you can't move on.  

Why not buy the new gear with the new logo and actually support the university?

Move on, bro.  Buying Sioux gear for the rest of your life gets you nowhere and only shows you can't move on.  

Why not buy the new gear with the new logo and actually support the university?

I'm an alumni and I will always support the university.  I have already bought plenty of non-Sioux logo gear and I'll buy whatever the new gear looks like as well as long as I like it.  This doesn't really have anything to do with moving on.  I graduated when they were still known as the Fighting Sioux and I happen to like the merchandise.  I have lots of Sioux stuff now and plan to wear it the rest of my life and I really don't see anything wrong with that.  I was simply asking if this idea has ever been brought up before.  It's something I could see the NA committee from Spirit Lake that fought so hard to keep the name and logo pursuing.  Truthfully I think they should own the trademark and should be able to do with it as they please.

If I'm not mistaken the tribe hold all licensing and trademarks. 

Guilty as well. 

• Upvote 1

This crossed my mind as well...............think of the vetting process of all the 3rd graders in the region to select just one to be the "coloring artist".  This will be time consuming!  There will be sad lots of sad kids when she/he isn't selected to be the one to color logo.

Why does it have to be 3rd graders? You are not being all inclusive! :p

If I'm not mistaken the tribe hold all licensing and trademarks. 

Are you sure about this?  I thought as part of the settlement, UND had to keep the trademarks/copyrights active and under their control.  This is why they started the Dacotah Legacy collection (limited runs of apparel with historic logos).

Are you sure about this?  I thought as part of the settlement, UND had to keep the trademarks/copyrights active and under their control.  This is why they started the Dacotah Legacy collection (limited runs of apparel with historic logos).

I just remember someone saying that the Sprit Lake Sioux Tribe was going to control the trademarks.

This^

The other parts of the article didn't surprise nor do I have a big problem with.   Although, I think this 2 year time table seems to be way way too drawn out.   But what you mentioned is what raised my eyebrows too.  If we are not picking something to do with Native Americans, they need to have a special place at the table, why?  As someone already mentioned what about other tribes or people of different ethnic descent...this opens up a whole can of worms- to me that statement is really bizarre, I have no idea what their thinking is on this.  And this isn't because I harbor some hostility for not granting us the right to use the Sioux name- it's really about, why would you even want to open up that can of worms about giving some groups other than alumni and students special treatment at the table?

That was a question on the survey. Who whould be in the slection process. Sioux tribe members were an option. Who knows. There may be Sioux symbol, animal, etc name that no one has thought of that they may suggest that would be suitable for a new name. If we can't be the Sioux anymore, what better way to honor the legacy of the old name by selecting a name that has a Sioux origin.

That was a question on the survey. Who whould be in the slection process. Sioux tribe members were an option. Who knows. There may be Sioux symbol, animal, etc name that no one has thought of that they may suggest that would be suitable for a new name. If we can't be the Sioux anymore, what better way to honor the legacy of the old name by selecting a name that has a Sioux origin.

And have our grand-children or great grand-children go through this again when they change their minds?  No thanks. 

• Upvote 2

What would the politically correct professors and do-gooders do if we revised history a bit and started to suggest that we weren't forced to relinquish the nickname, we just decided that it wasn't a name we could be proud of anymore.  Can you imagine the outrage.  

• Upvote 1

Are you sure about this? I thought as part of the settlement, UND had to keep the trademarks/copyrights active and under their control. This is why they started the Dacotah Legacy collection (limited runs of apparel with historic logos).

I was thinking the same thing. If UND didn't use the logo now and then they would lose the trademark.