SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Might be a good idea to put new nickname ideas on the back burner until things settle down and people somewhat recover from the loss of the Fighting Sioux nickname. Even the people who voted yes and realized that giving up the name was the only way out of the NCAA situation are probably feeling a little sick about it, I couldn't vote not living in ND but still there is a sense of loss. It must be much worse for the pro-nickname people.

I don't even want to think about a new nickname right now, and I bet I'm not alone.

Your mourning period ends at midnight tonight then it is time to suck it up and move on. This is not the end, it is a new day.

I would support a number of different ideas, as I have over the past seven years on this issue. Sica just came up with one recently that I kind of like...Owls.

They are predatory and eat small rodents. Hmmmm, which rival has a small rodent as a mascot?

Owls have a reputation as intelligent, which would go along with an instiution of higher education. There is a new research based search engine called scholr.ly. Their logo is an owl.

This would look pretty cool on the jumbotron at REA....

and I always liked the owl in the tootsie roll pop commercial....

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhjb4P_jnKk

How about we get trendy and leverage some serious marketing and merchandising opportunities-

Sexy Vampire Zombies maybe? Or 60s ad executives? We could partner with Disney and make the zamboni look like a Car from the "Cars" movies. Or, considering the farce history, get the George Lucas machine behind us as the Wookie Rage or something to that effect.

Obviously I jest, but there will definitely be consideration made to marketing and merchandising.

The new name will need to be the embodiment of the State and School's vision for the future with acknowledgement of the past history, tradition, and culture.

beware the PC crowd and their current trend of weather phenomena, (Heat, Thunder) or inanimate objects (Wild, Nationals) or even worse the people that are naming MLS soccer teams (Real Salt Lake, Houston Dynamo, Philadelphia Union, Sporting Kansas City, etc)

It doesn't matter what any of us think - our thoughts and opinions are not welcome (just our money), we will not be allowed any real invovlement in the process. This is in the hands of those responsible for taking it away in the first place- ultra-liberal, white-guilt-wallowing, brook-no-opposition academia (and their enablers). The odds are infinitesimally small that any new moniker will be preferable to none at all.

Lending A New Name To Boston College's Hockey Non-Conference Rivals

Boston College's ideas...

The North Dakota Roughriders

The North Dakota Western Meadowlarks

The North Dakota Fur Traders

The North Dakota Fighting Welks

The North Dakota Geographic Centers of the North American Continent

The North Dakota Sharks (because cartilaginous fish are woefully underrepresented in college athletics)

And my additions:

The North Dakota Flickertails (the school's original nickname)

The North Dakota Fighting Squirrels (see above, and because the nearby Bradford Fighting Squirrels were ahead of their time)

The North Dakota Bison (trollin')

The North Dakota Stars (because this logo should have never gone away)

The North Dakota Fighting Kolanos (more trollin')

How about we get trendy and leverage some serious marketing and merchandising opportunities-

Sexy Vampire Zombies maybe? Or 60s ad executives? We could partner with Disney and make the zamboni look like a Car from the "Cars" movies. Or, considering the farce history, get the George Lucas machine behind us as the Wookie Rage or something to that effect.

DeathEaters

Maybe its because I'm watching the Euro Cup, but I sorta like the sound of

The University of North Dakota United- no way does the NCAA have any issues or any of the PC crowd for that matter...

The other thing I like is something to do with "smoke" this would tie back to the pipe ceremony and would be without irony in terms of the spirit of the Sioux.