SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

What teams did you beat for those AAU titles? Were they tournament titles or beauty contests like the Bull Crap Series in football? Those are questions I would want answered.

Why would it matter who they beat for those titles. the fact is is they are national titles. It is not Minnesota's fault they won those titles before the NCAA was around.

Why would it matter who they beat for those titles. the fact is is they are national titles. It is not Minnesota's fault they won those titles before the NCAA was around.

The point is they were not "National" titles. In 1929, the Gophers were voted as the co-#1 team with Yale (which leads to the question of why Yale doesn't hang a banner for their co-title in '29, nor any other self-respecting program that won "titles" back in this time period). In 1940, the Gophers definitely won the AAU title that year, and were probably the best team in college hockey. The problem is, the AAU tournament did not feature any other college hockey programs, and the schools Minnesota beat were nothing more than amateur rec-league teams. The Brock-Hall Milkmen (that's right, a rec league team sponsored by a milk company) was who Minnesota beat to win the AAU title in 1940. The problem is that every college team the Milkmen faced that year beat them, including Yale who beat the Milkmen by a larger margin than the Gophers did. Is that really a "national" title? Of course not...this is why any title won before a recognized system of getting the best teams to play each other for a title doesn't hold muster in comparison to an NCAA Title. This is also why ONLY the Gopher program, experiencing some sort of envy, claim those titles. No other program in college hockey claims a title won before the NCAA era. That is why it is truly sad and pathetic that Gopher fans try to rationalize those titles as NCAA titles, which they are not.

Minnesota has a long and storied program history, and they should be proud of what they have. They are easily one of the top 5 programs in college hockey, and have the 5 National Titles and dozen or so MacNaugton Cups to back that up. However, to hang those banners is sad and pathetic, and goes to show that Minnesota is very jealous of Denver, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Michigan.

• Upvote 1

What teams did you beat for those AAU titles? Were they tournament titles or beauty contests like the Bull Crap Series in football? Those are questions I would want answered.

The Gophers hang the right amount of big banners. The five NCAA titles and the 1940 team is the only undefeated and untied team in their history. That team also featured the John. Who is kind of a big deal in Gopher history. As for the AAU tourney, it was likely invitational and not something you qualified for. That doesn't take anything away from the accomplishments of the '39-'40 team that is remembered in our rafters. The Gophers were playing long before the NCAA created itself. At Mariucci we don't pretend college hockey started when the "NCAA" started honoring the sport with it's greatness, and I like it that way. I'm with the previous poster about the co-champs thing in '29. Nice honor but isn't significant enough to warrant a banner, and it doesn't have a banner for what it's worth.

The Gophers hang the right amount of big banners. The five NCAA titles and the 1940 team is the only undefeated and untied team in their history. That team also featured the John. Who is kind of a big deal in Gopher history. As for the AAU tourney, it was likely invitational and not something you qualified for. That doesn't take anything away from the accomplishments of the '39-'40 team that is remembered in our rafters. The Gophers were playing long before the NCAA created itself. At Mariucci we don't pretend college hockey started when the "NCAA" started honoring the sport with it's greatness, and I like it that way. I'm with the previous poster about the co-champs thing in '29. Nice honor but isn't significant enough to warrant a banner, and it doesn't have a banner for what it's worth.

Understandable, but at the end of the day, if you need to hang a banner, hang a banner for the undefeated season. That is far more impressive than the AAU title, which probably any college hockey program at the time could have won.

I haven't been to Mariucci since 2008, but it sounded like from the previous posts that there now was a banner for the '29 season, which would be a complete joke.

. However, to hang those banners is sad and pathetic, and goes to show that Minnesota is very jealous of Denver, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Michigan.

Not even close. The all time winningest program in the history of the sport holds no jealousy of any other program, even yours.

Not even close. The all time winningest program in the history of the sport holds no jealousy of any other program, even yours.

It sure stinks of jealousy to me, but when you've played for 50 years longer than most programs, I'd sure hope you'd have the most wins. Perhaps you should hang a few more banners for that...I'm a little surprised they don't have a banner for each win.

• Upvote 2

It sure stinks of jealousy to me, but when you've played for 50 years longer than most programs, I'd sure hope you'd have the most wins. Perhaps you should hang a few more banners for that...I'm a little surprised they don't have a banner for each win.

The funniest thing i have ever read right here, i love it!

Why do we have to argue with rodents on our site? I dont get it!

Fightingsioux23, your first post to this matter is so true and spot on!

I dont know why no other comments are on here about this, but all Ihave to say is, HELL YEA!

Everything about this change was so uncomfortable last weekend you could sense it!

It was like a pitcher in baseball getting to the playoffs and than being told he now needs to change his throwing motion because even tho he has used it for years, it now seems illegal!

Now out of sync!

Minnesota is one of the premier programs in all of hockey and I think they should honor their past.....it's not like they are hanging participation banners and DQ cup banners like St. Cloud.
I have to agree, I could care less if they want to hang a banner from the 1940's from their rafters... I actually thought the DQ Cup was a cool throphy.

Yeah, they hang banners for every little thing they win down there. They even have two AAU title banners from the early 20th century hanging from the rafters. We hang banners for WCHA and NCAA titles and we have one banner with all our WCHA playoff titles listed on it and that is it. And I hope it stays like that.

ok? using the theory that teams shouldnt keep banners from prior leagues- should the sioux remove wcha banners in 2014?

a title in 1940 counts just the same as one in 2000. at what point do you decide a title isnt worth honoring?

ok? using the theory that teams shouldnt keep banners from prior leagues- should the sioux remove wcha banners in 2014?

a title in 1940 counts just the same as one in 2000. at what point do you decide a title isnt worth honoring?

Apples and oranges. The AAU titles were won playing local amateur community teams with rosters of various make-ups. The WCHA has been one of the best conferences in college hockey for years; the WCHA name stands for quality. I simply won't tolerate the Rodential faithful using the AAU titles to claim that we are tied in national titles at 7-7 (I have heard comments like that from them, not making it up). It's pure, unadultered apples and oranges.

It sounds like per @UNDSID Rocco Grimaldi is out for the rest of the season. Kind of no surprise here.

I heard back in December that he was telling people in his prayer group that he was planning on having surgery in February, taking the year off, and going pro next year. Not sure of the reliability since I was not the one that heard it from Rocco or the members of the prayer group. Just thought I would share the rumors on campus.

I heard back in December that he was telling people in his prayer group that he was planning on having surgery in February, taking the year off, and going pro next year. Not sure of the reliability since I was not the one that heard it from Rocco or the members of the prayer group. Just thought I would share the rumors on campus.

Who knows but I would guess he would at least stay at UND for another year or two to bulk up and repair that knee. Lets face it until his surgery is done and he has skated the Florida Panthers aren't going to pressure him to sign a contract until they know he has recovered from his knee injury. What not a better place than UND to find that out.

Who knows but I would guess he would at least stay at UND for another year or two to bulk up and repair that knee. Lets face it until his surgery is done and he has skated the Florida Panthers aren't going to pressure him to sign a contract until they know he has recovered from his knee injury. What not a better place than UND to find that out.

Agreed, I just can't see the panthers putting money into him untill they see some competition against the bigger boys of college hockey.

And grow into as much bulk as he can before the NHL, or AHL,

My prediction.......

Grimaldi is the first ever recipient of the NCHC player of the year award. Then on down to all that beautiful sn......stuff down in FLA.