SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Looks like a quality get for the Sioux after looking at his profile, albeit, a year old. Says he's 6'4 with good size. Vids that accompany show some good throws and runs. Should be good competition between him and Joe Mollberg down the road.

http://www.ncsasport...ol/ryan-bartels

Interesting that he's a kid from Illinois and has a scholarship offer from a team in the middle of the MVFC cabbage patch and he chooses to play for a team in the Big Sky Conference.

• Upvote 3

Another possible prospective recruit from Illinois--Anthony Taylor: http://www.mysuburba...ruiting-on-hold

UND has reportedly offered: http://espn.go.com/b.../anthony-taylor

Appears to be a talented kid with great speed. He will visit UND the weekend of the Omaha hockey series so there should be a good atmosphere. USD was also recruiting him so that is likely on hold for now.

Hopefully that turns out to be as accurate as the reports from this past summer that Mollberg was leaning towards NDSU.

He reported on the sports tonight that UND is visiting him this week. That's presumably a home visit? Time for Muss to seal the deal.

I'd imagine NDSU is offering him the chance to start as a freshman since the Wahpeton kid will be the only returning WR with significant playing time. I wonder if Muss will dangle that same opportunity-and I don't mean the obligatory "everyone has a shot to play".

He reported on the sports tonight that UND is visiting him this week. That's presumably a home visit? Time for Muss to seal the deal.

I'd imagine NDSU is offering him the chance to start as a freshman since the Wahpeton kid will be the only returning WR with significant playing time. I wonder if Muss will dangle that same opportunity-and I don't mean the obligatory "everyone has a shot to play".

Don't know how he could. With what we have returning at WR, all junior or younger, I don't know if he would help next year. What I would like to see is him redshirt, get some time as a redshirt freshmen and be ready to contribute as a sophmore when McGill and Hardin are done. If he's good enough to play before than, even better. NDSU is a run first offense, always has been and always will be. They have the rb's to do that and get a good one every other year. It will be interesting to see how he fits in there if the report is accurate.

On after watching the MN games this weekend I'm hoping Taylor Grant can work some magic and get Eden Prairie's running back to UND. That kid was a good player and looked like he would be a pretty good college running back at the FCS level, maybe the highest level if he was a little bigger or given the opportunity. Very athletic kid. Minnesota has a lot of talent throughout the state this year.

Bemidji football star Woods weighs college options

Officials from the University of North Dakota are making a visit to Woods’ home Wednesday and on Friday the MSU-Moorhead football officials are visiting him at the high school.

“NDSU is the front runner right now but I still haven’t talked to UND,” Woods said. “What I like about NDSU is its history of winning and the coaches seem to be really good guys. I feel that they care about their players and that is why I’m leaning their way.

“But it is exciting to have all of these options,” Woods added.

I hope the UND coaches can do a nice job of promoting the school.

Of course NDSU is the front-runner, they are his only offer. What I found telling is that NDSU offers him a full-ride but he tells them to wait until he visits with UND and Moorhead. Their coaches couldn't have been too pleased by that. I mean what can UND do other than match what NDSU gave, since they gave the max?

What's so telling about that? How many kids jump at their first offer, especially when it's not a slam dunk favorite school (for example a NE kid waiting for the Huskers to call)? He even said in the story...all these options.

This kid appears to be a great athlete. Speed kills...great hands. Whichever school ends up with him is gonna get a good, local talent who could possibly step in asap.

Of course NDSU is the front-runner, they are his only offer. What I found telling is that NDSU offers him a full-ride but he tells them to wait until he visits with UND and Moorhead. Their coaches couldn't have been too pleased by that. I mean what can UND do other than match what NDSU gave, since they gave the max?

I had thought that UND had offered a full as well, but reading the article it sounds like NDSU and Mankato are the only schools that have offered as of yet. That being said, I would imagine that UND will offer a full today, and let the chips fall where they may. NDSU does seem like it would be a good situation for him, with their strong team and perceived lack of returning players at the WR position (although Vraa and Gebhart should be healthy next year), but hopefully UND can dangle playing with Mollberg and helping UND establish themselves in the Big Sky as a big carrot that is appealing to him. Also, you never know academically what his interests are, so that may sway him as well. My gut would say that he will go to SU, but you never know.....

What's so telling about that? How many kids jump at their first offer, especially when it's not a slam dunk favorite school (for example a NE kid waiting for the Huskers to call)? He even said in the story...all these options.

This kid appears to be a great athlete. Speed kills...great hands. Whichever school ends up with him is gonna get a good, local talent who could possibly step in asap.

That is my point. There is no Nebraska/Minnesota to wait on, NDSU and UND are as high as it gets. 2-3 years ago this is a slam dunk for NDSU and UND never even gets through the door. Now full-ride offers from NDSU are being put on hold until they talk to UND.

This may not mean anything but at the very least it appears the threat of the transition killing recruiting is no longer. Now its up to the coaches to win some battles.

There will definitely be some good recruiting battles. Who knows on Woods. I think before this season he was more of a basketball prospect, but blew up his senior year. What if schools like Wyoming all the sudden start calling? It's obviously in is best interest to wait it out and hear what everyone has to say.

Bemidji football star Woods weighs college options

I hope the UND coaches can do a nice job of promoting the school.

I noticed he referenced the tradition of winning of ndsu. If a kid from Bemidji isn't also aware of the UND football tradition, even without a coach in his living room telling him about it, that tells me the marketing department has work to do. It is easier than ever to get your message in front of a kid given the technology/media use of kids today. No area athlete should be in the dark about UND.

I've made this point before about the difficulty of punching through local media messaging of ndsu and the mvfc. UND will have to work that much harder with local kids to push UND/BSC. The first time a kid hears of it can't be when the coach is finally in the living room. The coaches can't do it all themselves.

At the present time we do have a tough time recruiting locally against NDSU. They have playoffs going on and big crowds at games. UND is playoff elgible now and we need to build up our cred. Hopefully that is beginning to happen and will continue into the Big Sky. But you never know what is going to happen on the recruiting trails. We did get Mollberg away from NDSU. The one thing we do have over NDSU is the conference. Big Sky locations for games has got to be a lot more appealing to a recruit over MVFC locations. I would think that playing games in California, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona and Colorado every year would seem pretty exciting. The most important objective of this years class for UND is the quarterback position. We do seem to be addressing that though.