SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Juco DL E.J. Welch from Mesabi Range CTC has committed to UND, per SFI.

2nd team All America with nice size - 6'2", 285. From the Mesabi area. Must be a good athlete, in BB he scored 16 pts/gm while shooting 70% from the field and was second in rebounding in his conference as a senior.

We had more early commits than any year in the transition which is a good sign. And also going head to head with NDSU and winning like we used to is another good sign.

I believe this is sizing up as one of the best recruiting classes in a long time and may be Mussman's best. I think we have at least 10 or 12 commits and we still have a couple of our biggest weekends coming up. Great job recruiting by our FB staff.

Why are you glad?

Because he isn't worth the hassle that he will become. Multiple people have told me about his attitude and work ethic or lack thereof. Anyone who watched the state championship game will attest.

Awhile back it was stated in an article that our coaches met with him----well, no offer was ever made from what I have been told. That should tell you something.

They can have him. I am glad UND decided not to offer. Plus I don't think he had any other choices other than D2.

The kid is a good player but he wasn't UND's highest ranked WR. Things are looking good for the guys they have ranked higher and time will tell if they made the correct decision by not offering. Either way, Woods definately turned some heads with the two playoff games he had.

We don't need "typo police" on message boards. It's a lame and cheap crutch when one's argument lacks merit or a spiteful and childish rebuttal to point out a perceived shortcoming. Everyone makes mistakes; get over yourself. Now, with that said, glad to have you as part of the club! :)

have to agree that some of the grammar and spelling on all boards and blogs reflects the wonderful educational system in place today. :crazy:

In many respects, its the same group that also wants to destroy the Fighting SIoux name that hail from Indianapolis, Madison, etc... :whistling:

Because he isn't worth the hassle that he will become. Multiple people have told me about his attitude and work ethic or lack thereof. Anyone who watched the state championship game will attest. Awhile back it was stated in an article that our coaches met with him----well, no offer was ever made from what I have been told. That should tell you something.
I didn't know what to make of it since Muss isn't able to comment. It said something that Muss made the home visit. It said something an offer couldn't be confirmed following the visit. I don't know.

Hard to offer when he told Muss he was going to NDSU. Have any more bad things to say against him?

Why did he take two weeks to commit to them if he was already going there? Not the case at all. If UND liked him they would have offered and tried to line up a visit. They did neither.

But that's water under the bridge. He is going to NDSU and it's over.

• Upvote 2

I suspect either Woods communicated this to Muss when he travelled to Bemidji, or Muss found out later. Either way, it explains in part why Muss would make the visit then not extend an offer.

Since the first time NDSU offered me the scholarship I knew I was going there. I just wanted to see how everything else would go before I committed,” Woods said.

Why did he take two weeks to commit to them if he was already going there? Not the case at all. If UND liked him they would have offered and tried to line up a visit. They did neither.

But that's water under the bridge. He is going to NDSU and it's over.

http://www.bemidjipi...group/homepage/

“Carey will be challenged at NDSU but if he puts in the effort he will be successful,” Hendricks said.

Just kinda thought the quote from his HS coach was interesting.... Might imply there is an effort issue sometimes, might not. Oh well, water under the bridge like UND-1 said.

http://www.bemidjipi...group/homepage/ Just kinda thought the quote from his HS coach was interesting.... Might imply there is an effort issue sometimes, might not. Oh well, water under the bridge like UND-1 said.
I think it goes to the discussion about him we've had here all along. BB is his #1 sport, but he's better at FB. Now he will have to put in a much bigger commitment for FB than he ever has. How will that work out? We will find out since the spotlight will be on him in Fargo.

Something has been bugging me about GFH football coverage. If one looks over to inforum.com right now, news of the Bemidji receiver commit is front page news, huge picture and story on the rotating web top section.

Is this kid really a huge get? I dont know, but to the Forum's credit and NDSU's its covered as though it is. There have been stories written by Kolpack and co about every verbal so far this year.

At the Herald? Crickets. Schlossman does a tremendous job with hockey. If there was 1/3 of that type of reporting effort dedicated to football, recruiting etc it would be very big for the program. We on here know of 6 or so verbals for UND thus far. Has the Herald reported on any of the kids not hailing from Detroit Lakes? Hell, the hard part is done for them. How long does it take to go on Sioux Football Insider or SiouxSports Wiki then figure out a way to contact a kid or a kids coach and do a short story?

Maybe I'm just missing the stories. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

• Upvote 1

There is no doubt Woods is a very good HS football player and has great raw talent. He showed this all year and in the playoffs for Bemidji.

My biggest concern after watching him was his effort and demeanor when he played against someone that was as good or better than him or when things weren't going well. You can bet that he will face as good or better than him in college at NDSU.

I'm guessing UND has some WR's rated higher than him for them not to offer. I definitely don't think he's a full ride offer type of kid, but that's just my opinion.

He definitely has potential. Good luck to the kid.

Something has been bugging me about GFH football coverage. If one looks over to inforum.com right now, news of the Bemidji receiver commit is front page news, huge picture and story on the rotating web top section.

Is this kid really a huge get? I dont know, but to the Forum's credit and NDSU's its covered as though it is. There have been stories written by Kolpack and co about every verbal so far this year.

At the Herald? Crickets. Schlossman does a tremendous job with hockey. If there was 1/3 of that type of reporting effort dedicated to football, recruiting etc it would be very big for the program. We on here know of 6 or so verbals for UND thus far. Has the Herald reported on any of the kids not hailing from Detroit Lakes? Hell, the hard part is done for them. How long does it take to go on Sioux Football Insider or SiouxSports Wiki then figure out a way to contact a kid or a kids coach and do a short story?

Maybe I'm just missing the stories. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

Your expectations are very realistic. I have been critical about the Herald's football coverage for quite some time now. Even back when I worked for the Herald as an advertising account exec (2 years there before moving to Colorado) I was questionable because I had direct access to these guys and they would never give me a clear answer when I would ask them about it. Interesting to say the least.

The news in GF is not that exciting so I have always been a bit boggled about the lack of coverage.

“Carey will be challenged at NDSU but if he puts in the effort he will be successful,” Hendricks said.

That is a strange quote from his coach.

Most of the time you see "coach quotes" about former players talking about what a hard worker a guy is, or skills, or smarts.

Hard to offer when he told Muss he was going to NDSU. Have any more bad things to say against him?

He did not tell Mussman he was going to NDSU. UND did not offer. Kid is a great athlete and has potential. He was not the highest rated receiver on UND's list. They saw him as a kid worth a partial. NDSU probably had a bigger need at reciever and according to the kid they offered a full ride. Don't need to say anything bad about the kid. Watch his film and talk to his coach then decide if how he fits into your plans. He fits in nicely at the AC. Good luck to him.