SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

... there seems to be a huge logjam at forward with us only losing two seniors after this year.

I'm not sure which answer to give:

1. I've seen it look like this before and somehow Hak and his staff make it work.

or

2. What log jam?

History says Hak and Co. look at a rolling two-year roster window and decide who should come in based on performance and need. They have replacements needed in two years lined up for the current seniors and juniors plus a spare D and F in case a So/Fr jumps early.

We have 8 D on the roster (SIMPSON*, Mattson, Panz, Schmaltz, Ladue, Thompson, Ausmus, Stecher). Three of the eight are Sr/Jr.

There are 4 D in the pipeline (Poolman, Pelnik, Mantha, Evers).

That says they're prepared for one So/Fr defense to leave early.

We have 16 F on the roster (RODWELL, MITMAC, Senkbeil, Gaarder, Parks, MarMac, O'D, Pattyn, Caggiula, StC, Grimaldi, Sanderson, Chyzyk, Tambellini, Murphy, Johnson). Eight of those 16 are Sr/Jr.

We have 9 F in the pipeline (in order of calendar age: Olson, Rowe, Voltin, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gersich, Wilkie, Gropp)

That says they're prepared for one So/Fr forward to leave early.

Problem? What problem?

One more thought,

on August 1, 2015, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gershich, Wilkie, and Gropp will all be less than 19.5 years old.

on August 1, 2014, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gershich, WIlkie, and Gropp will all be less than 18.5 years old.

*ALL CAPS = seniors

I'm not sure which answer to give:

1. I've seen it look like this before and somehow Hak and his staff make it work.

or

2. What log jam?

History says Hak and Co. look at a rolling two-year roster window and decide who should come in based on performance and need. They have replacements needed in two years lined up for the current seniors and juniors plus a spare D and F in case a So/Fr jumps early.

We have 8 D on the roster (SIMPSON*, Mattson, Panz, Schmaltz, Ladue, Thompson, Ausmus, Stecher). Three of the eight are Sr/Jr.

There are 4 D in the pipeline (Poolman, Pelnik, Mantha, Evers).

That says they're prepared for one So/Fr defense to leave early.

We have 16 F on the roster (RODWELL, MITMAC, Senkbeil, Gaarder, Parks, MarMac, O'D, Pattyn, Caggiula, StC, Grimaldi, Sanderson, Chyzyk, Tambellini, Murphy, Johnson). Eight of those 16 are Sr/Jr.

We have 9 F in the pipeline (in order of calendar age: Olson, Rowe, Voltin, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gersich, Wilkie, Gropp)

That says they're prepared for one So/Fr forward to leave early.

Problem? What problem?

One more thought,

on August 1, 2015, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gershich, Wilkie, and Gropp will all be less than 19.5 years old.

on August 1, 2014, Poganski, Schmaltz, Gardner, Gershich, WIlkie, and Gropp will all be less than 18.5 years old.

*ALL CAPS = seniors

Agreed....as I have said before (and some of the regular posters have misconstrued what I have said) you have to at least estimate a certain number of early departures and decommits. If all those USTDP and Gropp come we'll be pretty lucky.

And because I didn't give the goalies their due ...

SAUNDERS, Gothberg, Hrynkiw on the roster

with Cam Johnson lined up to replace Saunders in 2014.

I'd say Hakstol's recruiting plan is dead on between now and fall 2015 as it has replacements lined up for all the Jr/Sr plus an extra F and an extra D (to cover potential early departures by today's So/Fr).

I'd say Hakstol's recruiting plan is dead on between now and fall 2015 as it has replacements lined up for all the Jr/Sr plus an extra F and an extra D (to cover potential early departures by today's So/Fr).

Sorry but who is Cam Johnson?

I have always seen Craig Perry's son from Andover rated pretty high as far as goaltenders go. Wonder if there is any interest in him still. I assume he would be a few years down the road yet though because Junior hockey is always beneficial, especially for goaltenders.

• 3 weeks later...

Poganski hopes physical play will gain attention of NHL scouts

However, this past season as a junior Poganski really evolved his game, bringing a new intensity to the ice to compliment his larger frame, and posted a career-high 35 goals and 32 assists in 23 games played.

“He’s developed into more of a nasty player, but not in a bad way,” Johnson said. “North Dakota said he has a big body and that his game is going to be someone that has to be that way to be successful.”

Johnson believes that when Poganski does eventually make the jump to the collegiate level – next year the senior will be playing for the USHL’s Tri-City Storm – he will fit in just fine with North Dakota’s physical style of play.

The physical style of play, the chance to play in Ralph Engelstad Arena and the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of other North Dakota alums who have reached the NHL level all played a factor in his decision-making said Poganski.

“My style from day one has always been hardcore, blue collar, get into the corners,” Poganski said. “North Dakota plays right into that.”

@mikemorrealeNHL: U.S. 4, SLV 0 after 1st at Ivan Hlinka. Two gls by top '14 draft prospect Nick Schmaltz; one each from Paul Bittner and Keegan Iverson.

Schmaltz also with assist already today.

Schmaltz, gersich, Poganski, gropp.....Wilkie, Mantha and Gardner. Wow!

This forward crop is elite!

• Upvote 1

AZSIOUX, what are you, some sort of recruiting savant? You always have the inside scoop on incoming players!

Not as much time these days but don't think Im slipping ethier :) ha..can't wait for the season to see these new recruits on ice.

Not as much time these days but don't think Im slipping ethier :) ha..can't wait for the season to see these new recruits on ice.

17,000 posts and you're complaining about 'not much time these days'? :silly:

Sticking around in the north this winter? If you are, you'll be wishing you'd ordered one of those fancy SiouxSports.com hats!

17,000 posts and you're complaining about 'not much time these days'? :silly:

Sticking around in the north this winter? If you are, you'll be wishing you'd ordered one of those fancy SiouxSports.com hats!

Ill bet 16k came during my Arizona days! Lol...Yeah I will be around the rinks!

Tambellini will be a 30 point guy as a freshman! Look forward to see him develop with that tall frame!

Back on topic:)

From everything I've read about the camp, Thompson really struggled and Ausmus played solid, but solid doesn't get you on the World Junior team. Fasching was the only Gopher that I expected to get cut that wasn't. Brodzinski and Camarrata both had good camps, and Skjei has always been a near lock this year in my opinion.

Looks like Lucia can't separate his disdain for UND from his role as the World Junior coach. Both Keaton and Gage are off the roster, but there are four gophers still on the roster most from any college (tied with Michigan).

Via Chris Peters (United States of Hockey blog)

Gage Ausmus — The numbers really caught up to Ausmus here. He wasn’t necessarily bad in camp. He played adequately, but as a shut-down defender, he probably needs another year of seasoning. The U.S. kept Brady Vail, Steven Santini and Brett Pesce, who each have some more mobility than Ausmus as defensive guys.

Keaton Thompson — Another guy with big upside, it’s just that he’s not ready yet. Thompson has good puck-moving capabilities when he has time and space. His decision-making was not great in camp, with several turnovers off of ill-advised passes or hesitating to make a decision. That’s something that will come as his game matures, or at least you’d hope for it to. He’ll still probably be in the mix for 2015 as his game progresses.