SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Has UND looked at finding a naming rights sponsor for the high performance center?  Would think that could at least help with the budget... they holding our or what?

I think naming rights are more for facilities that hold large events that many people attend, not generally for facilities mostly used for training athletes.

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Has UND looked at finding a naming rights sponsor for the high performance center?  Would think that could at least help with the budget... they holding our or what?

Isn't Altru name already on the building?

36 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There's always exceptions to the rule. Like how they did sell the naming rights to the remodeled bison basketball arena.

The track is sponsored by Scheels. I thiink I remember a Altru logo on the south side that you see coming over Columba overpass.

On August 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Cratter said:

Chair of the committee asked about going back to division 2....this president Kennedy guy is making quite a name for himself in a small amount of time.

Cynical, but honest question, since I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night...

is it possible the question about returning to DII  is an attempt to make swimming and diving relevant? that is, after all, a program that has approximately zero chance of bringing UND any national recognition in DI.

i am not on the women's hockey bandwagon by any stretch, but at least they may have a chance to win a DI natty. probably will take a coaching change, like men's hockey and football have had and hopefully men's basketball will have soon.

• Upvote 1

I believe the "why a conference" and "DII" questions were straight up out of pure ignorance. Those folks probably got kudos from their academic cohorts for looking so obtuse. 

I say that because the IAC is supposed to be watching out for the University's interests regarding Athletics. To be where we are today tells me the IAC has been doing nothing as far as oversight. Why does that normally happen? The overseers have no idea what they are looking at or what to be looking for.

As I said, it'd be like putting Blackheart and Mafia on the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Men's Golf reinstated for 2 years.  Curious what will happen after the 2 years are up though.  Another threat to drop unless more cash is raised?

They have a little under 2 years to get to the endowment number.

The plan also calls for an endowment that will be required to sustain men's golf for FY 19 and beyond. The University and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation will establish the long-term funding dollar amount for the endowment, which will need to be fully capitalized by June 1, 2018 for men's golf to continue.

Just now, jdub27 said:

The plan also calls for an endowment that will be required to sustain men's golf for FY 19 and beyond. The University and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation will establish the long-term funding dollar amount for the endowment, which will need to be fully capitalized by June 1, 2018 for men's golf to continue.

Ah, was just editing my post.

Earlier this summer, the men’s golf program was given a deadline of Aug. 30, 2016 to raise $70,823 in cash or pledges (signed/legally binding) in order to be reinstated for FY 17 and a June 1, 2017 deadline to raise $73,589 in cash or pledges (signed/legally binding) to continue for FY 18. Cash and pledges in excess of the funding goals were raised by the Fore UND Golf Campaign that was led by alumni, former letterwinners, and friends of the program. Those funds have been received by the UND Alumni Association & Foundation.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

OK, endowment for M Golf: They need about $75k annually to operate (based on '17 and '18 values). Assume a 5% ROR on the endowment and that means they need to raise about $1.5 million to endow men's golf. 

22 minutes ago, Irish said:

I send an email to President Kennedy and I urge all on this form to do so too - we can't let Aerospace, Med School, and Sociology determine the future of Sioux Athletics.

I'll let an Aero, or Med, or Soc professor, who has done their due diligence on the subject of Athletics, sit on the IAC. That shows me they care and want to be there and do their best for UND. But what I've seen so far says that is not the case. 

Quite frankly, however, if we were looking for best objective decisions on programs and fiscal matters, the committee should've had more engineering and business/accounting representation. Stereotyping? Heck yes. :D

Been rethinking the athletics cuts lately.  New proposal:  We've already cut baseball and men's golf is now self-funded ($750,000).  Next we cut swimming and diving completely ($1 million), get approval from the Big Sky to cut men's tennis ($100,000), and reduce funding for women's hockey by 20% ($300,000).  That $2,150,000 covers the deficit and most of FCOA and we'd get to keep the sacred cow that is women's hockey.  

If we think we need more, then it comes time to consider moving everything other than football and hockey to the slummit to save on travel (maybe $300,000) and cut women's tennis ($200,000).  The move to the slummit would likely also result in increased revenue (maybe $15-20,000) from ticket sales for MBB, WBB, and VB (just USD and SDSU bumps, as we're already set to play ndsu yearly).  

That'll put us at 9 women's sports and 7 men's.  If the Title IXers complain, it would seem justifiable to allocate half the REA expenses to women's hockey (reducing men's hockey expenses) to increase the women's hockey expenses to $2.3 million.

More?  If possible, get football into the MVFC and we'd save another $200,000 in travel and increase ticket sales by $100,000.

In both documents linked here (2014 and 2015 numbers) I see a consistent pattern:

All expenses related to use of Engelstad Arena are attributed to Men's Hockey. The other users of the complex (WIH, MBB, WBB, VB, and Soccer) have no facilities expenses. I include soccer because I do believe they have locker room space in there. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the "why a conference" and "DII" questions were straight up out of pure ignorance. Those folks probably got kudos from their academic cohorts for looking so obtuse. 

I say that because the IAC is supposed to be watching out for the University's interests regarding Athletics. To be where we are today tells me the IAC has been doing nothing as far as oversight. Why does that normally happen? The overseers have no idea what they are looking at or what to be looking for.

As I said, it'd be like putting Blackheart and Mafia on the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. 

Mafia and I would do an excellent job as long as no one pissed either of us off. ;)

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the non-sequitur here, but a while back an NDSUer asked me to substantiate my claim that NDSU needed to cut athletics by up to 15% as well. So, here it is:

To: Matt Larsen <matthew.larsen@ndsu.edu>; Timothy Alvarez <timothy.alvarez@ndsu.edu>
Subject: cuts

Guys- As I mentioned, I’ll need an “itemized” list of what you would propose your cuts are leading to a 15% savings of appropriated dollars at the levels we discussed. The list needs to be down to the level of position category but not someone’s title or name. For the times falling in the 10-15% range please put them in your priority order so that if we don’t have to do a full 15% (or have any discretion on where to draw the line), we can do so in an informed manner. NDSU needs to assemble all these (for all divisions of the campus) in mid-June, so the need to hammer it out is pretty immediate. If you can get it done in a week I’ll buy you a beer but at most it must be done in two weeks; sorry for the short timeline.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dean

Source: https://www.scribd.com/document/320333047/Response-Redacted page 40 of 143

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sorry for the non-sequitur here, but a while back an NDSUer asked me to substantiate my claim that NDSU needed to cut athletics by up to 15% as well. So, here it is:

Source: https://www.scribd.com/document/320333047/Response-Redacted page 40 of 143

I currently work at NDSU and Bresciani sent out a staff-wide email six weeks ago or so about the 10-15 percent for the next biennium. That's what we know as employees as of now. There have been several updates since I started working there about three months ago.