SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The lack of faith in the AD was somewhat implied in my post. If there's no faith there, he should no longer be the AD.

Kennedy needs to show he has a pair, something Kelley never did at any point, and get rid of BF. 

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Kennedy could have made any committee he wanted. He chose an already existing committee.

I don't believe this is the end all be all. My opinion is that he wants to get a feel from individuals within the University and this committee had a variety of people in it. I am fully expecting him make this decision on his own after reviewing the numbers. I would be shocked if he made a decision based off of a committees recommendation, just strikes me as a guy who let's the numbers speak for themselves.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kab said:

Option 2 looks the best

who wants to play schools from Indiana we have never heard of

also if you aren't moving ahead you are going backwards, increase revenue, put more butts in the seats, is called marketing

that would be a novel idea, someone from the school of marketing getting involved

While I also get a nasty taste in my mouth anytime moving to the Slummit is mentioned, who wants to play Sacramento St and Southern Utah? There's going to be some garbage teams/schools in any conference we look to join. 

I dislike the idea of moving out of the big sky.  By not being in the summit we get nearby pre-conference games with familiar opponents.  Move out of the big sky and we are still traveling to the Montanas and beyond to fill schedules.  I think the options are pretty clear.  Cut some of the sports that unfortunately don't bring much to the university and do not make sense from a geographical perspective.  Softball should be one of the first cuts.  We live in ND and they play what 6 home games a year? That is a lot of travel prior to that. Same goes for womens golf.  Swimming can at least host meets and has a facility.  I disagree with the people that want to cut womens hockey.  At least they have the chance at bringing home hardware and look at all the notable olympians and so forth.  We are after all a hockey community and I dont think we should limit that just to the mens program.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

You do realize Kim Kenville is Tom Clifford's step daughter. 

So she, as an aviation professor who apparently doesn't know anything about athletics, should be given authority over the athletic department because her step-dad was a good leader? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So she, as an aviation professor who apparently doesn't know anything about athletics, should be given authority over the athletic department because her step-dad was a good leader? 

I am not saying that but merely pointing out she is Tom Clifford's step daughter. I was shocked to hear the D2 option as well. 

44 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

I don't believe this is the end all be all. My opinion is that he wants to get a feel from individuals within the University and this committee had a variety of people in it. I am fully expecting him make this decision on his own after reviewing the numbers. I would be shocked if he made a decision based off of a committees recommendation, just strikes me as a guy who let's the numbers speak for themselves.

God I hope you are right. He seems like a pragmatist to me too but it's been so long since UND has had a decision maker that I trust....

18 minutes ago, UNDGRAD said:

I dislike the idea of moving out of the big sky.  By not being in the summit we get nearby pre-conference games with familiar opponents.  Move out of the big sky and we are still traveling to the Montanas and beyond to fill schedules.  I think the options are pretty clear.  Cut some of the sports that unfortunately don't bring much to the university and do not make sense from a geographical perspective.  Softball should be one of the first cuts.  We live in ND and they play what 6 home games a year? That is a lot of travel prior to that. Same goes for womens golf.  Swimming can at least host meets and has a facility.  I disagree with the people that want to cut womens hockey.  At least they have the chance at bringing home hardware and look at all the notable olympians and so forth.  We are after all a hockey community and I dont think we should limit that just to the mens program.    

Interesting.  If the dollars don't make sense it isn't worth it.  If a hockey community such as Grand Forks does't support womens hockey doesn't that tell you something about the sport?

54 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

This makes a lot of sense, and I would like to think Kennedy is thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, it is my belief that he goes with recommendation of the committee - that's the pulse I'm getting.

Given the makeup of the committee, I hope I'm wrong and you are right.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Interesting.  If the dollars don't make sense it isn't worth it.  If a hockey community such as Grand Forks does't support womens hockey doesn't that tell you something about the sport?

So we cut them all? I was simply saying that if we are going to cut some sports there are some that make more sense than others. Fairly certain I've seen more fans at a women's hockey game compared to softball and golf... 

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The Grand Forks community does support women's hockey. 

• Downvote 1

Allow me slightly different POV on the IAC:

The IAC is supposed to be monitoring Athletics for the University and the Universtiy Senate. But monitoring takes people who have a clue about what they are looking at. Sorry, but I'm not putting Goon and Oxbow on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission just like I wouldn't put someone that asked such questions as today's on the IAC. If you're going to be on a committee or board at least have a clue when you walk in the door or recuse yourself to someone who does have a clue and a willingness to be there. Those questions say to me they aren't even minimally qualified to be serving.

• Upvote 2

Giving consistent administrative raises despite having vastly underpaid coaches nearly across the board, reactively adding FCOA admittedly without a plan of where the $ will come from, admittedly not reading a professional athlete/alum's email that would've resulted in significant financial gain, botching a budget so bad that the new President publically admonished it, having your financial person taken away from near you as to better oversee funds, not being allowed (or not willing?) the power to make cuts in your own department & having a committee filled with academics doing so instead.

That's our Flagship's AD. What are we paying him nearly $200k per year to do?

Believe the ball got rolling in Tom Buning's firing/resignation with an anonymous Athletic Dept survey. Can we please get 1 of those circulated immediately!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Would you put faith in the financial responsibility of an Athletic Director running a million dollar plus deficit tha commits to close to another million dollar expense in FCOA the day after a rival announces they are going to provide FCOA without any plan of how to pay for it? He went on the radio and admitted he didn't know how they were going to pay fot it. Not very fiscally responsible. 

How are the cuts to the athletic budget coming along in Fargo?  

Problem at UND isn't FCOA.  

5 hours ago, Corella said:

That's our Flagship's AD. What 

Believe the ball got rolling in Tom Buning's firing/resignation with an anonymous Athletic Dept survey. Can we please get 1 of those circulated immediately!

Did you use to coach baseball at UND?

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNDGRAD said:

You need to be thinking not only Title IX, but also core sports.  The only sports you mention cutting are women's sports.  Not good for Title IX.  If you want to stay in the Big Sky, you cannot cut women's golf.  It is a core sport.  Also, cutting just these two sports isn't likely going to cut $1.4M, which is the current hole in the department.

As said before, one of the biggest drains to the department is women's hockey and should be the first to go.  Women's hockey has been a varsity sport for only about 15 years.  UND/Grand Forks was a hockey community before women's hockey and will continue to be without women's hockey.

If additional cuts are needed, I would look at M/W Swimming.  Yes, UND has the facilities, but as I mentioned in a previous post, UND had talked of replacing the pool facilities by 2015.  We are already a year past that and I doubt that there is a change in sentiment regarding the adequacy of facilities. 

Cutting Whcky and M/W S/D would get UND down to 16 sports.

To keep Title IX compliant, I would keep softball and soccer.  Soccer is played by kids of all age groups all across America, and the world for that matter. In regards to softball, UND has 18 home games this year. Yes they do play more away games, through tournament and invitationals, but I would keep it and have a nice round 16 sports.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do you actually believe the garbage you spew? UND MBB is poorly coached and one can look at the salaries being around half that of our peers as a good indicator of why. If we cut the women's hockey coach's pay what's that coach gonna do? Leave to coach a high school girls team? Would anyone care if he did?UND has been ignoring the market on basketball for a while now. Life in the real world includes cutting (or reducing) huge money losers that have little to no potential to improve. 

You call me out for spewing "garbage" but you clearly don't disagree.  I plainly asked for evidence that our MBB coaches are underpaid.  You and Csonked seem to have some, although I don't quite know where your 'half of our peers' comes from.  OP had NOTHING but an apparent beef against women's hockey and complete ignorance about the cost of doing business.

Is it too much to ask for people to support their opinions with at least some form of evidence or rational thought?  This whole tirade of 'WH must be cut because I just saw a budget figure and it costs more than MBB' is a joke and speaks poorly to one's intelligence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

No, it's pretty much common knowledge among anybody who follows sports that a D1 Women's Hockey budget shouldn't be larger than a D1 Men's Basketball budget.  And frankly it's embarrassing for our University that this is the case.  

If it's so common, find me something -- anything -- to back up your claim.  I'll wait.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3