SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article656446.ece

He impressed coaches with his skating ability and got a ticket to Rochester that turned into an NHL contract on Monday. Eighteen games and a surprising spot on the Amerks' top defensive pairing later, Finley is in the NHL while Jordan Leopold sits out the weekend with an upper body injury.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/12/devils_travis_zajac_will_miss.html

Good story that focuses a bunch on Zajak comeback and Parise's homecoming, plus his true feelings about "Pride on Ice":

(Excerpt from Friday's nj.com) He was asked by a local TV questioner if he had a favorite local hockey player, perhaps a University of Minnesota Gophers player? Not a good question for a University of North Dakota player.

"No Gophers. Come on," Parise said with a laugh. "I was always a big (Neal) Broten fan and (Mike) Modano fan. I was more watching the North Stars growing up than the Gophers. I kind of got more attached to that than college. But definitely no Gophers."

When asked about the Gophers being ranked No. 1, Parise said: "That's when I stopped paying attention. UND always has a strong second half. They always seem to heat up at the right time heading into the playoffs."

http://www.nj.com/de..._will_miss.html

Good story that focuses a bunch on Zajak comeback and Parise's homecoming, plus his true feelings about "Pride on Ice":

When asked about the Gophers being ranked No. 1, Parise said: "That's when I stopped paying attention. UND always has a strong second half. They always seem to heat up at the right time heading into the playoffs."

Yeah, the Gophers are ranked #1, and it's Dec. 3. Big Deal.

Must be a U of M alum asking that question.

Yeah, the Gophers are ranked #1, and it's Dec. 3. Big Deal.

Must be a U of M alum asking that question.

I didn't take it that way. I took it like this:

Parise is from Fairbault, just outside of the Twin Cities. Therefore, naturally, he's a Gopher fan and followed the Gophers since getting into hockey as a young kid. It's a natural assumption. Only this reporter didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't a fan or alum of the Gophers during the printed portions of the article.

I didn't take it that way. I took it like this:

Parise is from Fairbault, just outside of the Twin Cities. Therefore, naturally, he's a Gopher fan and followed the Gophers since getting into hockey as a young kid. It's a natural assumption. Only this reporter didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't a fan or alum of the Gophers during the printed portions of the article.

Yeah, could be that. I wasn't totally serious about thinking the person was a U of M alum.

I do find it odd that a "local TV reporter" had already asked him about the Gophers and he said, "Come on, not a Gopher player" and "Definitely no Gophers." So why would the person still think Parise has anything to say about them being ranked #1?

If it was that same local tv reporter that asked both questions, my feeling is it was some Gopher fan giving him grief. First he made a little joke by saying "Who was your favorite local player, maybe a Gopher player?", Zach laughs it off and answers the question, and then the same reporter says, "So what do you think about the Gophers being ranked #1?"

That sounds like a Gopher fan to me.

• Upvote 1

(Excerpt from Friday's nj.com) He was asked by a local TV questioner if he had a favorite local hockey player, perhaps a University of Minnesota Gophers player? Not a good question for a University of North Dakota player.

"No Gophers. Come on," Parise said with a laugh. "I was always a big (Neal) Broten fan and (Mike) Modano fan. I was more watching the North Stars growing up than the Gophers. I kind of got more attached to that than college. But definitely no Gophers."

Thanks for the article Teeder! also, loved your segment with Sweeney a few weeks ago. priceless! :lol:
  • Upvote 1

Since Broten was a Gopher, he was a gopher fan after all.

Jonathan Toews just took over the league lead in goals with 17 (Kessel w/ 16 is 2nd). He had 2 goals and tacked on a huge assist. He is also tied for 2nd in the league in scoring (behind Kessel).

Jonny decided to start scoring. He always had it in him, it just seemed like there were more important things on the ice at times.

It's amazing how quickly Kessel cooled off, at one point he was outscoring everyone else by 15 points and had almost 10 more goals than everyone and seemed like a lock for the Hart Trophy. He always has been a streaky player I guess.

Since Broten was a Gopher, he was a gopher fan after all.

I'm not sure how that would work since Broten started playing for the Gophers in 1978 and Zach was born in 1984.

Trivia: Do you know why Neal became a Gopher rather than a Sioux?

Watched the Blues 4-2 Win over the Ducks last night...TJ Oshie scored 2 goals, Chris Porter scored 1 goal. After the game they interviewed both Oshie & Porter, they then sent the broadcast back upstairs where they joked that this isn't a Fighting Sioux broadcast. They preceded to give the University of North Dakota hockey program some high praise...way to represent boys.

• Upvote 1

Watched the Blues 4-2 Win over the Ducks last night...TJ Oshie scored 2 goals, Chris Porter scored 1 goal. After the game they interviewed both Oshie & Porter, they then sent the broadcast back upstairs where they joked that this isn't a Fighting Sioux broadcast. They preceded to give the University of North Dakota hockey program some high praise...way to represent boys.

Doc Emrick makes a point of mentioning UND every chance he gets. Gary Thorne is another hockey p-b-p UND fanboy.