SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

In the current iteration of college hockey, unless you're a rare potential NHL star, your chances of making an impact are greater if you're a bit older.   And a team's chances are better if most of its players are older.  That complicates the decisions on guys like James and Spicer.  I think the coaches will have good reads on it.  

I also don't think the Morrow thing was a simple: we think you should defer; ok, bye.  I think the coaches' eyes were open and they did what they thought was best.   Given that we have recently seen the on-ice benefit of the program's culture, it's easy to see why they value it so much. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I suspect we'll see Senden and Hain go. They're the last 2 of 9. 

Ford and Driscoll time out. 

At this point, Sanderson should probably stay and get stronger, and I never expected to see that in October. His game is NHL ready, but I'm not sure his body is given the games he's missed. Somebody call Tyson Jost and hand Jake Sanderson the phone. That said, I expect he'll go. 

I was going to post this exact thought. It sure seems like he would benefit from gaining another year's worth of upper-body strength and thickness. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I think we can all agree that Jammer / Ness / Albrecht can fill the roll of shutting down opponents. What I mean by short sided is you're saying you'd rather keep Senden / Hain for one year and lose McLaughlin (Top 10) and Strinden (Top 15) in USHL points who could be phenomenal 3 and 4 year guys? I'm confident in saying that Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden and I'll include James will be playing college hockey next year. Really hope it's at UND. I'm also a big believer in balancing the classes. The NCAA tournament is such a crap shoot that losing 5/6 guys every year and cycling that way is the best formula to be consistently good. 

Note: It will be at UND. Senden / Hain / Ford will move on and my guess is you'll see one guy hit the portal. 

I believe Strinden is related to Earl Strinden, so not sure he would leave, but I also think that he will be here.  Not sure on James, but I know the coaches communicate frequently with players on what they need to improve on, so I would assume they know what James' thoughts are about coming in or not next year.  Even if Senden or Hain don't come back, not sure he will be set to come in for sure.   I am sure when they recruited his teammate McGlaughlin, they had a plan in place, and if that included James waiting another year, I am sure they told him.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I was going to post this exact thought. It sure seems like he would benefit from gaining another year's worth of upper-body strength and thickness. 

I guess I will defer to the coaches in college hockey that say he is a man amongst boys and that he is NHL ready.   Any of his injuries could just as easily have happened at another level, one of which did against many players that have played pro hockey and played in the Olympics. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

I believe Strinden is related to Earl Strinden, so not sure he would leave, but I also think that he will be here.  Not sure on James, but I know the coaches communicate frequently with players on what they need to improve on, so I would assume they know what James' thoughts are about coming in or not next year.  Even if Senden or Hain don't come back, not sure he will be set to come in for sure.   I am sure when they recruited his teammate McGlaughlin, they had a plan in place, and if that included James waiting another year, I am sure they told him.  

Ben Strinden is indeed Earl's grandson.  

3 hours ago, tnt said:

I guess I will defer to the coaches in college hockey that say he is a man amongst boys and that he is NHL ready.   Any of his injuries could just as easily have happened at another level, one of which did against many players that have played pro hockey and played in the Olympics. 

Not me.   I think there are some very important existential questions Sanderson should solve before he leaves.   Do you think he is prepared to say what the meaning of life is, for starters?  He should figure that shyt out now, while he has philosophy and lit professors available to help him.   Oodles of money and puck bunnies galore will be of no use to him on those matters.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, burd said:

Not me.   I think there are some very important existential questions Sanderson should solve before he leaves.   Do you think he is prepared to say what the meaning of life is, for starters?  He should figure that shyt out now, while he has philosophy and lit professors available to help him.   Oodles of money and puck bunnies galore will be of no use to him on those matters.  

He should probably work on his wardrobe too.

Show every recruit this quote from Connor Ford, who spent 4 years elsewhere before coming here:

"This place has been as advertised," Ford said. "It's advertised as the Mecca of College Hockey and that's certainly what I've experienced."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

Show every recruit this quote from Connor Ford, who spent 4 years elsewhere before coming here:

"This place has been as advertised," Ford said. "It's advertised as the Mecca of College Hockey and that's certainly what I've experienced."

Sweet. The atmosphere at the Ralph last Saturday reminded me of the old Ralph.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What would everybody think if Berry decided to give miller a second chance and bright him in next year to replace Sanderson? We know he did a horrible thing but how much can you punish him for something stupid when he was a teenager.

He was removed by the university President, not Berry. It’s not as simple as Berry giving him a second chance because it wasn’t his decision to remove him in the first place. 

Also, my answer is no. UND doesn’t need the PR nightmare this would be. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He was removed by the university President, not Berry. It’s not as simple as Berry giving him a second chance because it wasn’t his decision to remove him in the first place. 

And that's as it should be.   Despite the way NCAA does business, this is an institution of higher learning first, athletic team second.  And hopefully that will not change.