SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I wonder if Blake will look back on this in 5 years and wish he would have stayed another year.
Similar to those interviews with Parise and Oshie.  They all look back later and wish they would have stayed for one more season.

Best of luck in the bigs, Jackson.  We'll be rooting for ya.

There are a few of those.  Gersich was so anxious to get to the bigs, played 3 games after he signed and that was it for the NHL.  Gregoire was one of my favorites to watch and he didn't get any games.  Hard to turn the money down and I wish Blake all the best.  Have to think he would have been one of the favorites to win the Hobey next year which would put a big stamp on his legacy.  Hoping it works out, I am sure he has had a stressful couple of weeks deciding. 

It's too bad his final moment was so embarassing for him, but he was a ton of fun to watch and didn't push back on another year of juniors so he contributed from day 1. I don't know if his demeanor was bad or if it's just kids these days; it's not unique to him, just more noticeable.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Wish we had a first round forward. Who was our last: Jost?

Jackson Blake wasn’t a 1st rounder but I’m curious which of the 1st rounders you would have traded for him?

28 minutes ago, Mjohnce2 said:

How was Blake's situation different than Berg's. Both were drafted in 2021 so why was NYI comfortable letting Berg play another season while CAR would have lost Blake to free agency?

I'm thinking the main difference was that Carolina didn't have an AHL team this past year but their plan is to have one again for 24/25.
So they needed to sign a bunch of players to fill up their farm system again.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Mjohnce2 said:

How was Blake's situation different than Berg's. Both were drafted in 2021 so why was NYI comfortable letting Berg play another season while CAR would have lost Blake to free agency?

Blake is striking while the iron is hot. Berg has more to prove in college. 

44 minutes ago, Mjohnce2 said:

CAR wasn't guaranteed to lose him, they'd have still had his rights till next August correct?

He could have got the same deal or better from CAR next spring.

Basically the ONLY way I see a win here for Blake is if he gets a game in the final week in the National.

Still haven't heard anyone say anything about the knee yet either....

Speculation could say that's maybe what the CAR staff was evaluating?

Maybe the thought is get what money he can now and let the pro club outline the rehab ( if thats a concern) into next season in the American or the coast.

• Upvote 1

Snuggerud: drafted 1st round, #23 overall; 6'2" 190ish, physically able for pro game now, opts for 3rd yr with Gophers.

Blake: drafted 4th round, #109 overall; a generous 5'11"  & about 170, goes pro after 2nd year.

Would be interesting to know how much NIL, or lack therof, impacted the above 2 players' decisions.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, .357 said:

Snuggerud: drafted 1st round, #23 overall; 6'2" 190ish, physically able for pro game now, opts for 3rd yr with Gophers.

Blake: drafted 4th round, #109 overall; a generous 5'11"  & about 170, goes pro after 2nd year.

Would be interesting to know how much NIL, or lack therof, impacted the above 2 players' decisions.

Snuggerud was drafted in 2022 compared to Blake in 2021 though, so odds are that the Blues didn't put the full court press on Jimmy to sign compared to what Carolina more than likely did for Jackson. 
But the first announcement that Snuggy was coming back came from UMN's NIL collective group, so he obviously got something.  So it would for sure be interesting to hear what he might have gotten...and if Blake was even offered anything from the new UND NIL collective to possibly stick around.

20 minutes ago, .357 said:

So you’re saying UND is developing players better than Minnesota? ;)  Snuggerud seemed like he wasn’t nearly as dynamic without Cooley and Nies (which is expected to some degree), but Blake was the driver of UND’s offense, finishing quite a bit ahead of everyone else.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Snuggerud was drafted in 2022 compared to Blake in 2021 though, so odds are that the Blues didn't put the full court press on Jimmy to sign compared to what Carolina more than likely did for Jackson. 

Blake could have waited until after his 3rd season & Carolina still would have retained his rights & could have signed him then (up to August '25, I think). I know they're fielding a minor team next season & need extra cogs, but they still could have given him another year to develop at this level; both physically & emotionally, instead of throwing him in the deep end & risk "josting" him.

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Snuggy was coming back came from UMN's NIL collective group, so he obviously got something.  So it would for sure be interesting to hear what he might have gotten...and if Blake was even offered anything from the new UND NIL collective to possibly stick around.

Are NIL dollar amounts received by athletes available to the public? I'm wondering what ballpark figures these hockey players are receiving. 20k, 30k, more?

And did Ralph leave a little extra in the piggy bank for the team to use for contingencies like this?

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

CAR wasn't guaranteed to lose him, they'd have still had his rights till next August correct?

He could have got the same deal or better from CAR next spring.

Basically the ONLY way I see a win here for Blake is if he gets a game in the final week in the National.

Still haven't heard anyone say anything about the knee yet either....

Speculation could say that's maybe what the CAR staff was evaluating?

Maybe the thought is get what money he can now and let the pro club outline the rehab ( if thats a concern) into next season in the American or the coast.

I would be surprised if he got a game this year. They are still jostling for their playoff position. If he is healthy though he may get time with team as their Black Aces practice team during the playoffs depending on what those rules are with regard to games played and contract. 

According to cap friendly, his contract is more than reported. He doesn't have any playing/performance  bonuses built in though.

Jackson Blake Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps 

As far as NIL I think the number to keep a guy who isn't quite NHL ready would be around 80k to convince a player to stay another year as that would be equivalent to AHL salary....minus the signing bonus

33 minutes ago, .357 said:

Blake could have waited until after his 3rd season & Carolina still would have retained his rights & could have signed him then (up to August '25, I think). I know they're fielding a minor team next season & need extra cogs, but they still could have given him another year to develop at this level; both physically & emotionally, instead of throwing him in the deep end & risk "josting" him.

Are NIL dollar amounts received by athletes available to the public? I'm wondering what ballpark figures these hockey players are receiving. 20k, 30k, more?

And did Ralph leave a little extra in the piggy bank for the team to use for contingencies like this?

Agreed on giving him another year to develop.  Talent-wise, he is better than the vast majority of NCAA players, so will probably be just fine at the next level.  I'd be more worried about how easily he got knocked off the puck sometimes this year (especially noticeable early on in the last Michigan game).  Physically...I agree with you that he certainly would have benefited from another year to prepare for the NHL grind.

I don't think NIL amounts are available to the public, just rumors. 
Supposedly Eiserman was offered $100k+ to decommit from UMN and go to BU instead.  I've seen similar numbers thrown around for all of the BC super freshmen.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Supposedly Eiserman was offered $100k+ to decommit from UMN and go to BU instead.  I've seen similar numbers thrown around for all of the BC super freshmen.

Amazing, & in my naivete I thought those BC freshmen were there solely because a good chunk of them were from Mass. & they liked the HC. I'm assuming UND better have a competitive NIL in place in future years to contend with some of these bigger schools; because it sounds like the REA alone as a selling point might not be enough.

6 hours ago, UND1981 said:

Rodents have a nice advantage with 1st Rounder Snuggy coming back for a 3rd year.  Wish we could same the same.

I hate that its for the gophers, but I still love when big time players stick around longer than expected. Its good for the college game.

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Huh? What first rounder should Carolina trade him for?

No, I get the impression you’re disappointed that we didn’t have a 1st rounder like some other teams did.  But we did have Jackson Blake.  Blake went in the 4th round as the 109th pick so I’m wondering if you would have rather had 1st rounder Snuggerud or some other college 1st rounder instead of Blake?  

4 hours ago, Rick said:

No, I get the impression you’re disappointed that we didn’t have a 1st rounder like some other teams did.  But we did have Jackson Blake.  Blake went in the 4th round as the 109th pick so I’m wondering if you would have rather had 1st rounder Snuggerud or some other college 1st rounder instead of Blake?  

Brad Berry would even tell you he’s disappointed he didn’t land Cooley, Fantilli, and a number of other first round recruits.  Kind of weird you though took my post as a knock on Blake considering I had just said (see below) about him…

I guess if we’re entertaining the hypothetical of trading college players, and assuming Blake still played college hockey, I would try to trade someone else first. If you’re telling me I had to trade Blake, I’ll give you the answer 90%+ people will tell you: Celebrini or Gauthier.  Some big on leadership qualities might say McGroarty.  To the extent they return, others might try to argue for BC’s Smith, Leonard, or Perreault.

15 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

I look forward to watching how his NHL career progresses.  Hope he can become another Sioux legend in the pros.

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Brad Berry would even tell you he’s disappointed he didn’t land Cooley, Fantilli, and a number of other first round recruits.  Kind of weird you though took my post as a knock on Blake considering I had just said (see below) about him…

I guess if we’re entertaining the hypothetical of trading college players, and assuming Blake still played college hockey, I would try to trade someone else first. If you’re telling me I had to trade Blake, I’ll give you the answer 90%+ people will tell you: Celebrini or Gauthier.  Some big on leadership qualities might say McGroarty.  To the extent they return, others might try to argue for BC’s Smith, Leonard, or Perreault.

I’d take Lane Hutson over Blake and he’s a second rounder 

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Greg Johnson stayed all four, rare even in those days for top end talent.   But he wasn't a #1 was he?