SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

That’s a nice get 

Good get for sure. Was wondering when he’d get picked out. 
Michigan lost a lot already this off-season. Looking like a MSU/UMN race for their conf title at this point. 

I was reading Brad's article about the Central Scouting rankings, and the potential for a few of UND's future recruits to be drafted this year.  Has anyone studied the issue to figure out whether college programs are being hurt in those situations?  It's sort of like the Blake situation.  He was drafted, then played a year of juniors, which meant that after his junior year of college he could become a free agent.

That sucked, because normally you only expect first rounders, or maybe second rounders to bail after two years.  But I'm sure Carolina made the push because they didn't want to give Blake leverage.

Seems like the coaches might want to think about bringing these guys in the fall after they are drafted to maybe insure ourselves of at least three seasons. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Seems like the coaches might want to think about bringing these guys in the fall after they are drafted to maybe insure ourselves of at least three seasons. 

I’ve started wondering the same thing. 

• Like 1

hearing Bjorkman mentioned, makes me sad that Berry will likely share a very similar legacy and find his name on fan's list comparing him to Rube.  Cmon Bubs, there is still time to prove the peanut gallery wrong.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I was reading Brad's article about the Central Scouting rankings, and the potential for a few of UND's future recruits to be drafted this year.  Has anyone studied the issue to figure out whether college programs are being hurt in those situations?  It's sort of like the Blake situation.  He was drafted, then played a year of juniors, which meant that after his junior year of college he could become a free agent.

That sucked, because normally you only expect first rounders, or maybe second rounders to bail after two years.  But I'm sure Carolina made the push because they didn't want to give Blake leverage.

Zellers immediately comes to mind with that.  I'm sure could use a year in juniors, as the jump from (essentially) HS to college is quite big...but then he'd be in the same situation as Blake and being pressured to sign after his SO season here at UND.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

hearing Bjorkman mentioned, makes me sad that Berry will likely share a very similar legacy and find his name on fan's list comparing him to Rube.  Cmon Bubs, there is still time to prove the peanut gallery wrong.   

That's a really tough comparison to make.
Rube had a 149–186–11 record in his 10 seasons coaching at UND (.447) and didn't win a single championship of any kind.
Meanwhile, Berry has a 206–104–33 record in 9 seasons (.649) and has won 7 championships (5 Penna's, 1 NCHC tourney, 1 natty).

A more accurate comparison might be Bob May or Barry Thorndycraft...they each won one national title as well...but May only coached 2 seasons while Thorndycraft coached 5 seasons.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Another candidate for the most ridiculous post of the year.  

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Rube had a 149–186–11 record in his 10 seasons coaching at UND (.447) and didn't win a single championship of any kind.
Meanwhile, Berry has a 206–104–33 record in 9 seasons (.649) and has won 7 championships (5 Penna's, 1 NCHC tourney, 1 natty).

A more accurate comparison might be Bob May or Barry Thorndycraft...they each won one national title as well...but May only coached 2 seasons while Thorndycraft coached 5 seasons.

Fair enough,  I guess following the likes of Gasparini, Blais, and Hakstol tainted my view....   

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Another candidate for the most ridiculous post of the year.  

meh, I never win anything...   don't get me wrong I like Brad, just not sure he will take us where we want to...  it's a tall task with many facets.   It would be curious if Brad gets the same treatment as Hakstol, by that I mean people are less furious and disappointed with his time on the helm.

4 hours ago, AJS said:
  • Boston College: 2 more early signings
  • Boston University: Celibrini to sign after he's drafted

Word on the 'net is that both Leonard and Perreault will be returning to BC for their SO years. That's 120 pts right there.  :0
Gauthier signed and no word yet on #4 pick Smith, their leading scorer.  Wonder if Smith will sign or keep their big line intact.

If Celebrini doesn't sign, a line with him and Eiserman would be insane next season.
Both BC and BU look to be very very good again next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

For as much crap as UMN fans like to poke at UND for hitting the portal for goalies, this has good comedic value.  :D 

They picked up Souliere from PSU out of the portal to join Airey as their goalie tandem.
That move pushed out Owen Bartoszkiewicz, who has now entered the portal as well.

As a further twist to this....

Souliere is 25 years old already and will turn 26 years old during the 24/25 season.
And he is Canadian.

:D:whistling:

That's hilarious!

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Word on the 'net is that both Leonard and Perreault will be returning to BC for their SO years. That's 120 pts right there.  :0
Gauthier signed and no word yet on #4 pick Smith, their leading scorer.  Wonder if Smith will sign or keep their big line intact.

If Celebrini doesn't sign, a line with him and Eiserman would be insane next season.
Both BC and BU look to be very very good again next year.

They have a serious problem though--can't win when it counts, despite all that talent.   There must be a goat curse or something in there somewhere.   That or they just refuse to play a full 60.  

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Not even in the same ballpark comparing Rube to Brad.  Rube's teams were horrible at the end often getting blown out.  We were pretty much the doormat of the WCHA.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, burd said:

They have a serious problem though--can't win when it counts, despite all that talent.   There must be a goat curse or something in there somewhere.   That or they just refuse to play a full 60.  

Too busy making predictions that the other team will be crying by the end of the game.

#nomoretears

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

For as much crap as UMN fans like to poke at UND for hitting the portal for goalies, this has good comedic value.  :D 

They picked up Souliere from PSU out of the portal to join Airey as their goalie tandem.
That move pushed out Owen Bartoszkiewicz, who has now entered the portal as well.

Souliere is 25 years old already and will turn 26 years old during the 24/25 season.
And he is Canadian.

He went from Minnesota to Youngstown to NAHL and the reason he left was because Motzko didn’t want to have him sit a year as the backup and wanted to get him playing time. So he was suppose to come back, well…..:lol: 

4 hours ago, burd said:

Sounds like a team a lot of us around here follow. 

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

And he is Canadian.

Lol. Besides him, I wonder if there are any other college players born in the 1990s?  That is too funny. 

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

Zellers immediately comes to mind with that.  I'm sure could use a year in juniors, as the jump from (essentially) HS to college is quite big...but then he'd be in the same situation as Blake and being pressured to sign after his SO season here at UND.

Potentially…but was Blake did (production wise) was incredible. If Zellers does was Blake did in college I’ll be pumped.

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, The Sicatoka said:

My portal predictions:

- UND won't be "most added from portal" this year (three, maybe four, but Merrimack is four already!) 
- the Rink Live spreadsheet will have 300+ names by May

- SHU at 7; ASU and 'mack at 6 each; Omaha at 5; don't foresee UND going above 4 (at 3 now)
- list is at row 308 so easily over 300 

15 hours ago, burd said:

Must be a problem from the neck up...