SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

It's that time of the year again as teams seasons come to an end.
A couple pro signings from Notre Dame and a few portal entrants already.

• NHL signings are underway. Two Notre Dame players signed after the Fighting Irish were eliminated from the Big 10 playoffs by Michigan. Forward Landon Slaggert signed with the Chicago Blackhawks, while free-agent defenseman Drew Bavaro inked a deal with the Boston Bruins.
  • Graduatating players and those who lost their head coaches have started entering the NCAA transfer portal, including Mercyhurst's leading scorer Garrett Dahm (28 points) and Lindenwood's leading scorer Caige Sterzer (22 points). Lindenwood starting goalie Trent Burnham (.905) also entered.

are we going to need a lot from the transfer portal this year? i know in years past we have gotten some great players from it but this year it seems that we have a pretty tight team and also have a decent class coming in next year to back fill our losses this year due to graduating.

13 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

are we going to need a lot from the transfer portal this year? i know in years past we have gotten some great players from it but this year it seems that we have a pretty tight team and also have a decent class coming in next year to back fill our losses this year due to graduating.

I'd argue we have a our best class coming in we've had in a several years with Emery, Boisvert, Strathmann, Swanson and maybe a couple more. Next years team could be better than this one, IMO.

I think Persson will go pro, so I think we'll get a portal G to battle with Hobie. 

I think we'll get 1 transfer D and if the spot is right, a portal F, but that won't be a big need unless we have some suprises. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd argue we have a our best class coming in we've had in a several years with Emery, Boisvert, Strathmann, Swanson and maybe a couple more. Next years team could be better than this one, IMO.

I think Persson will go pro, so I think we'll get a portal G to battle with Hobie. 

I think we'll get 1 transfer D and if the spot is right, a portal F, but that won't be a big need unless we have some suprises. 

It wouldn’t be a new year without a portal goalie

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

+1

Agreed on the portal as well.  I think if they find 1-2 options that would be a good fit that they could pick them up and then have a couple of the recruits spend another year in juniors.  Goalie to replace Persson if he leaves.  Not many holes to fill, especially not when compared to last year.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

+1

Agreed on the portal as well.  I think if they find 1-2 options that would be a good fit that they could pick them up and then have a couple of the recruits spend another year in juniors.  Goalie to replace Persson if he leaves.  Not many holes to fill, especially not when compared to last year.

We have a goalie to replace Persson. We need another goalie for depth.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

We have a goalie to replace Persson. We need another goalie for depth.

Yes, for sure.  Someone to push Hobie and get some starts if needed.
Hobie has shown with his starts this year that he can play NCAA, so I'm not too worried either way if Persson stays or goes.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Teams with any kind of question mark in the net are saved by the Portal.  So many older goalies there like the one who beat us on Saturday evening in Omaha.

There really isn't an excuse any more to have a goaltending issue. 

3 hours ago, burd said:

Who are the biggest risks to leave early?

With his pro size and game, Berg's going to get a shot at some point.  Not sure if that's this year.  Hopefully the hometown team thing and the chance to do something special next year is appealing enough.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Blake leaves early, we'll never hear from him again. Just my opinion.

We've all seen the flaws, but I think he'll overcome them and have an NHL career, whenever he goes.  He's not strong enough, he's not fast enough, but he is **Special** in ways I've just about never seen.  Of course it would absolutely be in MY best interest for him to give it another go in GF next year.

Generally, if you're a desirable destination program, the portal gives you an edge and you should use it.  Not a ton, but a little every year.  It lets you be older and you know what you're getting as the guys are pretty much fully developed.

It's admittedly at least a little uncomfortably unfair, but you can do it and better your team or you can adhere to an imaginary standard beyond the actual rules.

43 minutes ago, jk said:

We've all seen the flaws, but I think he'll overcome them and have an NHL career, whenever he goes.  He's not strong enough, he's not fast enough, but he is **Special** in ways I've just about never seen.  Of course it would absolutely be in MY best interest for him to give it another go in GF next year.

If he leaves too soon, he could end up like Jost.

If he comes back for his junior year, I think he'll be bigger and stronger and will have a better chance at making the big leagues.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jk said:

Generally, if you're a desirable destination program, the portal gives you an edge and you should use it.  Not a ton, but a little every year.  It lets you be older and you know what you're getting as the guys are pretty much fully developed.

Put into other words: Physically Hunter Johannes is not Jayden Perron, but soon enough Perron will have us forgetting Johannes. 

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If he leaves too soon, he could end up like Jost.

Tyson Jost IS the cautionary tale. 
He should be on speed dial of every UND coach's cell, to hand to players considering going before ready. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tyson Jost IS the cautionary tale. 
He should be on speed dial of every UND coach's cell, to hand to players considering going before ready. 

This.

But for all the ups and downs Jost has had himself about 450 games on the show and made some nice coin so maybe not the example we think, and I don't think Blake sees himself Jostlike.... Im thinking he sees himself Oshielike and that seems to be an example that worked out and can for Blake as well.

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This.

But for all the ups and downs Jost has had himself about 450 games on the show and made some nice coin so maybe not the example we think, and I don't think Blake sees himself Jostlike.... Im thinking he sees himself Oshielike and that seems to be an example that worked out and can for Blake as well.

Est'd career earnings: about $7.5M 
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tyson-jost 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This.

Blake will play in the NHL for a long time. He needs to play one more year though. Def could play next year..I think time should be spent getting more consistent on the D side. But his O game is there right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This.

I don't think Jost saw himself as a journeyman when he signed. But that is what he became.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Blake will play in the NHL for a long time. He needs to play one more year though. Def could play next year..I think time should be spent getting more consistent on the D side. But his O game is there right now.

And though he is no Oshie, he is surprisingly strong on his feet with the puck--unless it's a tripping situation, and he knows how to sell that.    Quite unlike Schmaltz, who can be taken off the puck fairly easily.   And I like Schmaltz for what he does.  

I think a lot depends on how our season ends. If they hang #9 some guys will see that as the pinnacle and make the jump. But if this season leaves them with a sour taste in their mouths guys like Blake will come back to avenge it.