SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Blake will play in the NHL for a long time. He needs to play one more year though. Def could play next year..I think time should be spent getting more consistent on the D side. But his O game is there right now.

Jackson Blake is a special talent. He is the only UND player on the 1st team NCHC, has a legitimate shot to be the NCHC player of the year, and likely will be a Hobey Baker finalist. I agree that he needs to get stronger and continue to work on his defensive side (especially since he is a Carolina draftee and they require players to have a strong 2 way game) and would benefit from another year. His dad would know that as well, so I sure hope he comes back for another year. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Blake talks to Oshie, because he's the prime example of staying the extra year.  Could it have gone just as well for Oshie had he left a year earlier?  Maybe, we'll never know.  Hard to imagine his spectacular pro career going any better, though. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

And though he is no Oshie, he is surprisingly strong on his feet with the puck--unless it's a tripping situation, and he knows how to sell that.    Quite unlike Schmaltz, who can be taken off the puck fairly easily.   And I like Schmaltz for what he does.  

Of course if you take the puck from Nick he is probably going to take it right back a few seconds later.

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Of course if you take the puck from Nick he is probably going to take it right back a few seconds later.

He was pretty amazing at backcheck steals.  

38 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And that excludes his $2MM salary this season. Approaching $10 million in career earnings by the time you're 27 isn't too bad.

it's no gfhockey portfolio but a decent start none the less.

Sometimes it looked like the CBS line played cat-and-mouse with other teams.  They would lose the puck only to see how quickly they could take it back from the other team.  For all their scoring accolades, their back checking is what set them apart, in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

Let's not all forget, Blaker has said he wants to play another season. Could that have changed? Sure. He's got a pro linage and they are going to tell him what's the best to do to be a long-time pro. I believe he comes back and it will be an absolute joy.

• Upvote 4

Blake has dominated college hockey more so than Nick Schmaltz imho. 

However, Nick, got his Natty his sophomore year at UND then went pro.

I think JB would be best to win a Natty at UND this year (obviously) and/or  next year then sign pro. 

8 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Blake has dominated college hockey more so than Nick Schmaltz imho. 

However, Nick, got his Natty his sophomore year at UND then went pro.

I think JB would be best to win a Natty at UND this year (obviously) and/or  next year then sign pro. 

I vote option "and" :D

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Blake and OMac aren't physically structurally ready for the wear of the next level. 

This is something both of them are absolutely aware of, as well. Look at the difference in OMac's body after last season and you can understand he gets who he is and what he needs to do to go where he wants to go.

3 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

Blake also said if he could play in one arena the rest of his lift it would be the Ralph. I think we get at least another year out of him.

Even when he wins Hobey and #9?

49 minutes ago, burd said:

Even when he wins Hobey and #9?

He could be the man forever if he came back and put us ahead of both Denver and Michigan in Championships and give us our first back to back.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

He could be the man forever if he came back and put us ahead of both Denver and Michigan in Championships and give us our first back to back.

back to back to back.  first 3 peat.