SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

36 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

He’s not winning the Hobey. He’d have to go bananas. Jack Devine will probably take it.

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

BC's "Fresh Prince" (Will Smith) is my guess ... east coast bias. ;) 

Yeah, yeah, he's not in the final ten but he might be more valuable to BC than their guys on the list. 

My guess is Smith, Celebrini, Blake are the Hat Trick and Smith wins it.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

He’s not winning the Hobey. He’d have to go bananas. Jack Devine will probably take it.

Yeah, not likely, but it's fun knocking it around, especially after all that shade thrown his way earlier in the year for his turnovers and overall lack of defense (which was a legit concern, but I think he's shown an awareness of what he needed to improve upon).    Just like Gaber learned not to try to do too much in the O zone.  

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think hat trick will be Celebrini, Gauthier, and Blake.

This would be my guess too. I think Blake has a legitimate chance to win it. Crazy to think it could come down to this weekend? One big night by one of the front-runners could be enough to push them over the top. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

My argument against the BC guys is there are 4 that are close in points and that none of them is the clear cut best player on their own team. I haven’t watched them much, just going off stats. Blake is 20 points ahead of the next UND guy. 

Exactly! I agree with all of this. 

1 hour ago, Username Taken said:

My argument against the BC guys is there are 4 that are close in points and that none of them is the clear cut best player on their own team. I haven’t watched them much, just going off stats. Blake is 20 points ahead of the next UND guy. 

+1

Just now, burd said:

But if the points leader on BC's team also has more points than Blake AND contributes to the high point totals for some of his teammates, isn't that more positive than negative? 

I view it as more than the BC guys are surrounded by more offensive talent, so they're all putting up piles of points.
No slight intended to OMac or Gaber or Berg, etc, as I feel like one of the greatest strengths of this UND team is their forward depth...whereas BC is more top heavy with their forward talent.

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I view it as more than the BC guys are surrounded by more offensive talent, so they're all putting up piles of points.
No slight intended to OMac or Gaber or Berg, etc, as I feel like one of the greatest strengths of this UND team is their forward depth...whereas BC is more top heavy with their forward talent.

My thought as well.   BC is widely viewed as the best team in the country, rightly or wrongly, and there is more competition for scoring leader on that team.   If you are the best scorer on the best team, that is more of a positive than a negative in the selection process, it seems to me.  

One thing I like most about Blake is the way he has improved upon his shortcomings in the course of the year.   He is a real team player and has really improved his situational awareness and overall defensive game.  

Plus:   Hobey Blaker?   You gotta go with that.  

• Upvote 3

Some interesting stats on Brad's portal page, and also some interesting entrants already.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/the-2024-mens-college-hockey-transfer-portal-tracker

This kid has a UND name already, plus he scored some big goals for Northeastern this year:

2023 portal numbers

291 Division-I players entered
74.2 percent transferred to new Division-I programs
9.6 percent went Division-III
4.8 percent turned pro after entering
4.8 percent never landed anywhere
2.1 percent stayed with current team
1.4 percent played ACHA club hockey
6 Division-III players moved up to Division-I

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Some interesting stats on Brad's portal page, and also some interesting entrants already.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/the-2024-mens-college-hockey-transfer-portal-tracker

This kid has a UND name already, plus he scored some big goals for Northeastern this year:

2023 portal numbers

I wonder if he is interested heading west?

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

2023 portal numbers

Mr. Fontaine played for the Steel, but not with any of our current Steel alum. I'd guess he stays out east though.

21 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

I wonder if he is interested heading west?

14 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Mr. Fontaine played for the Steel, but not with any of our current Steel alum. I'd guess he stays out east though.

Someone on Twitter (X?) mentioned that he has family connections to Providence...so maybe there? 

40 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Someone on Twitter (X?) mentioned that he has family connections to Providence...so maybe there? 

He's from suburban Providence so no surprise he's got a connection there. If he didn't have such an awesome name he would have much less fanfare. Note to parents...

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He did play on the Steel his first year with Jake Schmaltz. Jake went to Green Bay the following season. 

59 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Former UND recruit Carter Randklev (from Moorhead) is now in the portal.
He's a senior that led Niagara in scoring (11-20-31) this past year.

Wow, time goes by fast. Seems like we were just talking about his decommit from UND a year or two ago.

21 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Ethan Langenegger from LSSU could be a good one year rental goalie if/when LP signs.

Agreed.  I think they'll need a bridge splitting time goalie for next season while Hedquist gradually becomes the #1 guy. 

is there any chance Hedquist is #1 and Johnson is #2? I know Johnson is supposed to just be a third string guy but is there a chance he moves up and they back fill with a new 3rd string guy?

1 minute ago, rhenry8439 said:

is there any chance Hedquist is #1 and Johnson is #2? I know Johnson is supposed to just be a third string guy but is there a chance he moves up and they back fill with a new 3rd string guy?

Are you talking next year?