SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Looks like a solid addition for 2024-2025. If our portal additions are as good as they were in 2023-2024, we'll be in good shape.

If Blake signs as has been mentioned, would be great to land one/both of the Wilkie/Wood combo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If Blake signs as has been mentioned, would be great to land one/both of the Wilkie/Wood combo.

Definitely but I would also like to be after Whitelaw to replace Blake if he signs. Think he could be a good replacement only if Blake leaves. 

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I know ALL of the smoke has been on Wood to Minny, but I think the kid must be really considering his options because he's still unsigned. Would be lovely, but I know we're strongly in contention for Wilkie.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I know ALL of the smoke has been on Wood to Minny, but I think the kid must be really considering his options because he's still unsigned. Would be lovely, but I know we're strongly in contention for Wilkie.

Well, if Carle got Pohlkamp because he is an American, then Berry should be able to pull Wood away from the Canadian-hating Minnesota crowd.   (...and yes, despite Close, there are still a few of them.)

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Well, if Carle got Pohlkamp because he is an American, then Berry should be able to pull Wood away from the Canadian-hating Minnesota crowd.   (...and yes, despite Close, there are still a few of them.)

Oh man, I hear the "Canadian argument" from Minny fans still today, all the time. It's the dumbest thing ever to argue why one team is better than the other.

Your logic is undeniable. Consider Wood a new add ;) 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh man, I hear the "Canadian argument" from Minny fans still today, all the time. It's the dumbest thing ever to argue why one team is better than the other.

Your logic is undeniable. Consider Wood a new add ;) 

Did they forget that one of their icons, Lou Nanne, is from the great white North?  Hosers.

Uh oh, MacDonald has been talking to Blake?...

Will he wear No. 7 at UND like Jandric and Pyke?

"I'm not too sure yet," said MacDonald, who wore No. 9 at Alaska. "I'll have to talk to the coaches and see what's available."

4 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

Uh oh, MacDonald has been talking to Blake?...

Will he wear No. 7 at UND like Jandric and Pyke?

"I'm not too sure yet," said MacDonald, who wore No. 9 at Alaska. "I'll have to talk to the coaches and see what's available."

image.jpeg.6475321c33bd91df740d030f0fb16c4b.jpeg

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Add MacDonald, subtract Benoit. Nothing against Benoit, I wish him the best, but I think we got better today. Both Sophomores.

What’s the scouting report on MacDonald? For those of us unwilling to watch game highlights of other teams…

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

What’s the scouting report on MacDonald? For those of us unwilling to watch game highlights of other teams…

He scored a sweet goal against us either this year, nice toe drag around a UND defender then sniped it.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And which team is in the Frozen Four?

That's one indicator, I gave another.  One that is an actual comparison between the two teams.  I'd love to hang banner #9, but the NCAA is a small sample size.  The Phillies have beaten the Braves in the playoffs the past two years, but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say the Phillies are killing the Braves.  As much as people want to think you can time when a team gets hot, there is a degree of luck involved, be it play itself, status of injuries, any number of factors.  Not having Sanderson available in 2022 or Pyke this year wasn't a bad coaching decision, just a reality of the game.  You can talk about "next man up" all you want, but subtracting key players is going to hurt, just the way things are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Thank you!

They recently had some super fun to watch matches with Jon Rahm, but Wes has also posted some great short game tutorials.  They have 2 channels Bryan Brothers Golf and Bryan Brothers TV, so you might have to check them both.  Grant Horvat teaches is another good channel, he's done several chipping videos on his teaching channel and I think he might have done a short game video with Colin Morikawa.

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Carle got Pohlkamp because he’s a great recruiter that has a great thing going right now. He also plays a more free still of play, especially with his dmen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Carle got Pohlkamp because he’s a great recruiter that has a great thing going right now. He also plays a more free still of play, especially with his dmen. 

Good clarification, @scpa0305. I said it as gospel that Carle got Pohlkamp because he coached him in the WJC. That made it seem like I think that's the only reason. Absolutely not the case. Carle is definitely in a groove right now in all things. Certainly didn't hurt to have the comfortability, though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

That's one indicator, I gave another.  One that is an actual comparison between the two teams.  I'd love to hang banner #9, but the NCAA is a small sample size.  The Phillies have beaten the Braves in the playoffs the past two years, but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say the Phillies are killing the Braves.  As much as people want to think you can time when a team gets hot, there is a degree of luck involved, be it play itself, status of injuries, any number of factors.  Not having Sanderson available in 2022 or Pyke this year wasn't a bad coaching decision, just a reality of the game.  You can talk about "next man up" all you want, but subtracting key players is going to hurt, just the way things are.

The "reality of the game" hasn't stopped Denver from going to 4 Frozen Fours since 2016 and winning two titles with the chance to win a third next week. Meanwhile, our favorite team has one NCAA tournament win during that entire time (vs. an Alphabet Soup school from the AHA). Those are clear trends over 7 seasons (not counting the 2020 Pandemic shortened season). That is "just the way things are" and it cannot be explained away by the usual alibis posted here constantly.

The problem with this team isn't lack of physical talent (you don't win 26 games without talent). The problem is from the neck up, the lack of mental focus after clinching the Penrose at home. That is the biggest task facing this coaching staff for next year. And whether it's fair or not, lack of national success will negatively affect recruiting if it continues.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The "reality of the game" hasn't stopped Denver from going to 4 Frozen Fours since 2016 and winning two titles with the chance to win a third next week. Meanwhile, our favorite team has one NCAA tournament win during that entire time (vs. an Alphabet Soup school from the AHA). Those are clear trends over 7 seasons (not counting the 2020 Pandemic shortened season). That is "just the way things are" and it cannot be explained away by the usual alibis posted here constantly.

The problem with this team isn't lack of physical talent (you don't win 26 games without talent). The problem is from the neck up, the lack of mental focus after clinching the Penrose at home. That is the biggest task facing this coaching staff for next year. And whether it's fair or not, lack of national success will negatively affect recruiting if it continues.

Maybe trade in a zero-gravity bed and a red light bed for a sports psychologist?  

• Like 2