SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament

petey23

52 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and.............................................................

.200 playoff winning % since 2017 and throw in 3 missed NCAAs

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tnt said:

It's one thing to voice your opinion, but quite another to act like someone is stupid for using Hakstol as a person from whom to request advice.  There is a reason he was a finalist for coach of the year at the highest level of hockey.   

I agree completely. It is very difficult to make it to the Frozen Four, and Hakstol did it 7 of 11 years. It is hard to find many teams that have ever accomplished that feat. He also made the NCAA tournament every year he coached. I would be happy if UND made it to 7 of 11 Frozen Fours again. National championships are important, but not the only thing despite gfhockey's rants. Michigan has made it to 3 straight Frozen Fours and has not won a title since 1998. If you keep knocking on the door, eventually you will win one. Plus, you will get top recruits.  Arguably, 2016 would have been the same result with Hakstol coaching. I don't even think it is debatable whether he is a good coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hak isn't given enough credit for changing from friend/dad to head coach after the Judy's debacle. 
Berry could learn from it. 

Isn't the "Judy's Debacle" just a typical night in Grand Forks? What was different about this one?

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Isn't the "Judy's Debacle" just a typical night in Grand Forks? What was different about this one?

Not exactly. 

This one was overt and Hak's reaction was the focus.
He had to go from big brother/friend to disciplinarian (head coach) that night, and it made him better. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, crb1 said:

That’s the easy answer. Not sure it’s entirely accurate. I just watched a less talented QU scare the crap out of a super talented BC and almost bounced them from this years tournament. That truly was a bounce going one way to advance BC. Talent is good but it isn’t everything. 

I was curious about a couple of things, including the post that you quoted, as well as another that asked whether anyone has achieved less with more than UND.

If you look at the first round draft picks who played college hockey, all time, the numbers break down like this:

Michigan - 33

Minnesota - 26

BC - 25

Bu - 23

UND - 20

Wis - 18

DU - 4

Yeah, that's right.  DU has four.

It's even funnier when you see how many some of these teams have had since they last won a national championship:  Michigan (27), Minnesota (19), BU (14), Wis (12), BC (11), UND (2), DU (0).  Now, one of these teams might very well win this year, with some first round picks on their team.  But it's pretty hard to say that UND has done the least with the most.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I was curious about a couple of things, including the post that you quoted, as well as another that asked whether anyone has achieved less with more than UND.

If you look at the first round draft picks who played college hockey, all time, the numbers break down like this:

Michigan - 33

Minnesota - 26

BC - 25

Bu - 23

UND - 20

Wis - 18

DU - 4

It's even funnier when you see how many some of these teams have had since they last won a national championship:  Michigan (27), Minnesota (19), BU (14), Wis (12), BC (11), UND (2), DU (0).  Now, one of these teams might very well win this year, with some first round picks on their team.  But it's pretty hard to say that UND has done the least with the most.

That’s an interesting metric! I would have never guessed this. The biggest thing for me is getting a bunch of kids to play as one unit. For them to embrace who they are and to play for each other. Watching Quinnipiac last year, they played like well oiled machine and had some luck besides…. I hadn’t seen that kind of play since 2016 at Amalie arena.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

Michigan - 33

Minnesota - 26

BC - 25

Bu - 23

UND - 20

Wis - 18

DU - 4

It is this kind of analysis that we too often don't require of ourselves in order to come to rational conclusions, and Hovey would almost certainly say it is only a small part of what could be or should be considered.  Most of us just reduce it all to the simplest possible metric (e.g. banner count) and stop at that.  Sic also takes an analytical approach.   There are a way too many knowledgeable hockey people here for there not to be more discussion about why UND isn't winning the big games, not simply that they aren't.   It isn't about protecting Berry.   He is paid well knows what he signed up for.  If there is reason to conclude he can't win the big games and identifiable reasons why, and someone is available who can, he has to be prepared to be replaced.  I personally think it's too soon to reach that conclusion.   But I'm not one of those on this board with a deep understanding of hockey, college hockey in particular.   We expect the team to be better, but we have some pretty good talent on the fan roster too, and we ought to do better.   

• Upvote 2

This is getting a little out of hand. We all expected Berry to be big and better. Well, he’s definitely bigger than Hakstol, but not better. 

I will say the staff did a solid job with a completely new defensive group. Why we had to be in that situation to begin with? That’s the real question that should be answered. Did we just have a couple bad years of recruiting? Flash in the pan. Bump in the road? Winning at the National stage is top priority every year, and Berry knows that.

I’m critical, but Berry is a grown man. He’s seen it all. I believe next season will answer a lot of questions, as to which direction this program is going. The Big and Hockey East is only getting stronger.

6 hours ago, Irish said:

And yet Denver is going to the Frozen Four again not us.  If it's not recruiting that only leaves one other thing.

Yep, good job, Watson!  It’s obviously bad puck luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

Michigan - 33

Minnesota - 26

BC - 25

Bu - 23

UND - 20

Wis - 18

DU - 4

Are Bluuuuue Chipppppass first round picks  only? I don’t think anyone other than @gfhockey is saying we need two forward lines of first rounders. More 2nd and 3rd round picks would do just fine.

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

This is getting a little out of hand. We all expected Berry to be big and better. Well, he’s definitely bigger than Hakstol, but not better. 

I will say the staff did a solid job with a completely new defensive group. Why we had to be in that situation to begin with? That’s the real question that should be answered. Did we just have a couple bad years of recruiting? Flash in the pan. Bump in the road? Winning at the National stage is top priority every year, and Berry knows that.

I’m critical, but Berry is a grown man. He’s seen it all. I believe next season will answer a lot of questions, as to which direction this program is going. The Big and Hockey East is only getting stronger.

bad years of recruiting yes..........think janatweenin?  

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

I believe next season will answer a lot of questions, as to which direction this program is going. The Big and Hockey East is only getting stronger.

Conferences ebb and flow. A few years back, the B1G and Hockey East were struggling mightily. Programs ebb and flow too. Our program is not far away from winning multiple nattys to go along with the Penrose Cups. And recruiting has picked up after a few lean years. Berry and his staff need to figure out what is causing the late season slumps (2022 and 2024). We have too much talent to not capitalize on it.

20 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Talent. We are losing the recruiting battle. 

You don't win 26 games without talent. The problem is from the neck up. And it's up to the coaching staff to figure out how to get the most out of the talent they have to work with.

5 hours ago, tnt said:

My perception is that Berry doesn't think that anything is wrong.  When they talk about how proud they are and that they left it all out on the line, it seems a disconnect with getting outshot 15-1 when you were that close to being able to put a game away, or at least get up by a couple goals.   Would have loved to hear the exhortation by the coaches going into the 3rd period.   

Just because Berry isn't criticizing the team in public doesn't mean he doesn't recognize that there are problems. Berry knows that this program is about hanging both white AND green banners and I think he and his staff are looking for solutions.

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Conferences ebb and flow. A few years back, the B1G and Hockey East were struggling mightily. Programs ebb and flow too. Our program is not far away from winning multiple nattys to go along with the Penrose Cups. And recruiting has picked up after a few lean years. Berry and his staff need to figure out what is causing the late season slumps (2022 and 2024). We have too much talent to not capitalize on it.

Will agree, if Berry wins back to back then the talk is suddenly quite different.  Usually though, you have to knock at the door a few times before you kick it down.  I wouldn’t be against winning back to back and pushing those win totals up 8 on that graphic.  It does go to show how lean the times have been in the NCAA tournament lately, that it would take 3 straight titles to catch Denver in NCAA wins since 2017.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just because Berry isn't criticizing the team in public doesn't mean he doesn't recognize that there are problems. Berry knows that this program is about hanging both white AND green banners and I think he and his staff are looking for solutions.

I get that he has to be a diplomat and calling them out could have an adverse effect, but I don’t know that I would praise them either.

Not sure if posted already.

NCAA Regional Attendance

Sioux Falls had a total attendance of 11,804 for the three games with 6,113 fans attending the regional final between Minnesota and Boston University on March 30. According to attendance numbers reported by the four 2024 regional hosting sites, Providence, Rhode Island had an attendance of 12,823 for its two sessions, while Springfield, Massachusetts had a total attendance of 9,659 and Maryland Heights, Missouri had an average attendance of 3,148.  

In 2018, when Sioux Falls hosted three Minnesota teams (St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Mankato and Minnesota-Duluth), the combined attendance was 16,007, more than the other three hosting cities.  

Sioux Falls will host another college hockey regional in 2026. 

Source: Keloland

2 hours ago, Wildfan said:

Not sure if posted already.

NCAA Regional Attendance

Sioux Falls had a total attendance of 11,804 for the three games with 6,113 fans attending the regional final between Minnesota and Boston University on March 30. According to attendance numbers reported by the four 2024 regional hosting sites, Providence, Rhode Island had an attendance of 12,823 for its two sessions, while Springfield, Massachusetts had a total attendance of 9,659 and Maryland Heights, Missouri had an average attendance of 3,148.  

In 2018, when Sioux Falls hosted three Minnesota teams (St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Mankato and Minnesota-Duluth), the combined attendance was 16,007, more than the other three hosting cities.  

Sioux Falls will host another college hockey regional in 2026. 

Source: Keloland

Safe to say there’d be 34,000 at a regional in GF? Still a rule that it can’t be at home rinks? Hence Fargo at Schees vs in gf right?

23 minutes ago, planetearth said:

Safe to say there’d be 34,000 at a regional in GF? Still a rule that it can’t be at home rinks? Hence Fargo at Schees vs in gf right?

It's two "sessions" not three "games" so more like 23,000. 

25 minutes ago, planetearth said:

Not a rule, but a high preference. If UND bid the Ralph and no one else bid, they could certainly get it. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

2 sessions is correct, I still have unused tickets in my Apple wallet for Sioux Falls……

Thanks

i would think at the right venue you could ticket by the game and get more revenue…