SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal - Basketball Edition

sioux24/7

34 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Odds that the NIL collective launches in time and offers him $100K to stay?? :lol:

Unfortunately, he'll probably get more than that.... and be less happy in the long run, IMO

• Upvote 1

I would like to see Omot return but he’s not worth $100k or more. Not sure why any school would offer that. I’m hoping he stays and gets stronger, improves his shooting and show more discipline. He takes too many ill advised 3 point attempts, especially when he is a poor shooter to begin with. Can’t imagine he would get a lot of playing time at a power 5 school unless he improves quite a bit in those areas. 

• Downvote 3

The top possible transfers from the Summit, in my opinion are:

- Frankie Fidler

- Zeke Mayo

- William Kyle

- Andrew Morgan

- BJ Omot (entered)

Anyone I’m missing? There will be more that enter but these are the ones that could “move up”. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Odds that the NIL collective launches in time and offers him $100K to stay?? :lol:

My assumption is that he's already been offered well north of that somewhere else.

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Unfortunately, he'll probably get more than that.... and be less happy in the long run, IMO

I guess I’m just confused by this statement here, it’s unfortunate that he is going to go get paid and make more money playing basketball than most people in this forum make in 2 years? To say he will be less happy in the long run is whatever thats your opinion and maybe it is right, but just dont see how it is unfortunate. I thought BJ had a great 2 years with the program and represented UND very well. Wish nothing but the best for him and hopefully he can be much happier in the long run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McBuckets said:

I guess I’m just confused by this statement here, it’s unfortunate that he is going to go get paid and make more money playing basketball than most people in this forum make in 2 years? To say he will be less happy in the long run is whatever thats your opinion and maybe it is right, but just dont see how it is unfortunate. I thought BJ had a great 2 years with the program and represented UND very well. Wish nothing but the best for him and hopefully he can be much happier in the long run.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I don't wish bad things on him, but I also don't plan on adopting whatever team he lands on either.

The risk for him is that he'll wind up sitting on the bench more than being on the court.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I don't wish bad things on him, but I also don't plan on adopting whatever team he lands on either.

The risk for him is that he'll wind up sitting on the bench more than being on the court.

And that is fair.

But as a grown adult to say that it is unfortunate that a 19-20 year old is getting offers well over $100,000 to play college basketball is just a very weird statement. Really strange behavior honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

And that is fair.

But as a grown adult to say that it is unfortunate that a 19-20 year old is getting offers well over $100,000 to play college basketball is just a very weird statement. Really strange behavior honestly. 

Good points.

• Like 1

So with BJ in the portal, do we turn to Brody Fox? I don’t think he can just replace BJ but would play a similar role. Doubt he offers the defensive versatility that BJ did. Never seen the kid play so basing this off stats and some highlights. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So with BJ in the portal, do we turn to Brody Fox? I don’t think he can just replace BJ but would play a similar role. Doubt he offers the defensive versatility that BJ did. Never seen the kid play so basing this off stats and some highlights. 

That could definitely be a good option, he can sure score the ball, doesn’t shot it well though. I know UND has reach out to him

There were several players that could actually take over a game in The Summit, BJ was not one of them. However in the next level they probably aren't looking for that.  As we have seen there is just as good of a chance he rides the bench. This is the new reality and it sucks. 

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Don’t spin the comments into something they’re not boys.. let me break it down for you.

i used the word unfortunately to describe that “unfortunately, UND cannot afford to pay him that money”

”to be less happy in the long run” refers to the overwhelming reality in college basketball that it’s almost a guarantee that he plays significantly less minutes and has less of an impact… which later on in life i would bet the thought comes through his head “hmm maybe i shoulda just stayed”

Class dismissed

Should have said the part about UND not having the budget, I’m sure you can understand the confusion based on the rest of your post thinking you know what the correct decision is. I think everyone is making a lot of assumptions about his playing time next year when we dont even know what schools he is looking at, let alone what role will be asked of him. Maybe he takes less minutes next season but has an higher impact his senior season. Who knows. Maybe he goes to a team has less of an impact and less minutes but wins a conference championship or plays in March Madness doubt he will look back and say hmm maybe I should’ve stayed.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Should have said the part about UND not having the budget, I’m sure you can understand the confusion based on the rest of your post thinking you know what the correct decision is. I think everyone is making a lot of assumptions about his playing time next year when we dont even know what schools he is looking at, let alone what role will be asked of him. Maybe he takes less minutes next season but has an higher impact his senior season. Who knows. Maybe he goes to a team has less of an impact and less minutes but wins a conference championship or plays in March Madness doubt he will look back and say hmm maybe I should’ve stayed.

Bingo! It’s crazy what using your brain and a little bit of logic can do! 

• Downvote 1

What do you think Filip Rebraca has to say about transferring out? Took a lesser role his first year, stats all went down, but then got a bigger role his senior year. Played in march madness both years, won the big 10 one year. Got to experience playing against many different NBA players and in top college facilities across the country 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

What do you think Filip Rebraca has to say about transferring out? Took a lesser role his first year, stats all went down, but then got a bigger role his senior year. Played in march madness both years, won the big 10 one year. Got to experience playing against many different NBA players and in top college facilities across the country 

I would argue that Filip is a better player than bj. And played 4 years at UND and graduated.

im not saying there aren’t instances where it’s a great decision.

im saying there are way more instances where it’s a net negative for literally everyone involved 

37 minutes ago, SD UND said:

I would argue that Filip is a better player than bj. And played 4 years at UND and graduated.

im not saying there aren’t instances where it’s a great decision.

im saying there are way more instances where it’s a net negative for literally everyone involved 

Same with Geno, he was probably happy with his decision.

It may work out it may not. I’m just not going to tell him what he should or shouldn’t do and act like I know best based on my opinion on the changing landscape of college athletics. Obviously I wish he would stay but not going to fault a kid for leaving to get paid and pursue a different opportunity elsewhere especially when there have been several UND athletes who have done the same thing and had success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, McBuckets said:

Flip left because UND did not offer the grad school major he needed, easier to ask a little tougher questions when the reason for leaving is money. Agreed it's his life, his choice and we can assume conversations were probably already happening before the season was over. 

35 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Flip left because UND did not offer the grad school major he needed, easier to ask a little tougher questions when the reason for leaving is money. Agreed it's his life, his choice and we can assume conversations were probably already happening before the season was over. 

Let's not get it twisted.

BJ is NOT just "leaving for the money". Sure, the money part is a nice added bonus for moving up a level. But that is not the reason BJ is leaving so not sure what the "tougher questions" are that you feel need to be asked. 

5 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Let's not get it twisted.

BJ is NOT just "leaving for the money". Sure, the money part is a nice added bonus for moving up a level. But that is not the reason BJ is leaving so not sure what the "tougher questions" are that you feel need to be asked. 

Opportunity for money is playing no part in it?