SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota travels to Colorado College

Wilbur

Back down to Colorado for a second time this season to get some revenge against the Tigers for their sweep (we did get two points I guess) at REA.  I watched their Friday night game against SCSU a few weeks ago and they very much deserved to win that game, but couldn't get it done even with a 5x3 in OT.  They regrouped and won on Saturday night.  

Last week was a week off for UND, the same can be said for them.  Miami did us no favors against SCSU, so points are pivotal in Colorado Springs this weekend. 

@Godsmack, you have the floor.  

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Back down to Colorado for a second time this season to get some revenge against the Tigers for their sweep (we did get two points I guess) at REA.  I watched their Friday night game against SCSU a few weeks ago and they very much deserved to win that game, but couldn't get it done even with a 5x3 in OT.  They regrouped and won on Saturday night.  

Last week was a week off for UND, the same can be said for them.  Miami did us no favors against SCSU, so points are pivotal in Colorado Springs this weekend. 

@Godsmack, you have the floor.  

I would hope there will be some urgency and a level of desperation on the part of UND, to regain that 7 point lead on St. Cloud.

The difference between this year’s CC squad and years prior is the swagger and confidence this team is playing with now. Before, if they got a rare upset win against a power house like DU, UND, St. Cloud, or a Duluth, it almost felt fluky, and typically it was a low scoring game and the netminder had to make like, 40-50 saves (an upset win at Magness about 5 years ago comes to mind when Alex Leclerc stood on his head for CC). Now, having strung together a number of league wins against some quality opponents, Mayotte’s got them believing. The question is, can they overcome the huge mental barrier they still seem to have when playing the Pios? (Denver made relatively easy work of CC last November in their home-and-home series. 6-1 and 5-1 or something like that). 

Mbereko is the glue that holds this CC team together. The guy is an elite goaltender. Having pieces like Noah Laba and Gleb Veremyev is huge but I feel like this is an entire lineup of a bunch of unsung heroes who are all chipping in. Logan Will was one of several Tigers players who absolutely destroyed UND on faceoffs last time around. Freshmen Bret Link, Zacchariah Wisdom, Evan Werner, and Max Burkholder are no longer playing like freshmen. 

• Upvote 4

This is gonna be a tough test for UND.
UND needs to get at least one win to maintain some sort of gap on SCSU in the NCHC, but UND couldn't even get that at home against this same CC team.

I'm optimistic for a split...hopeful for more if UND plays well.

Also...if either of these games go to OT (:crazy:), keep the puck away from Laba, please.

• Upvote 1

I’m sorry for those of you who will have to listen to the CC broadcast. Ken Landau actually referred to a St. Cloud player by name as being ‘a jerk.’ There was some chirping going on in the late stages of the Saturday game and clear CC was going to hang on. Some Tigers players on the ice were chirping some Husky players on their bench, and vice versa. I get emotions run high but I’d expect better and more professionalism from the radio broadcast guy when talking about student athletes. Poor form IMO, Mr. Landau. I let it slide last year when he took some swipes at UND when they were sitting in 7th place at one point in the season but name calling opposing players on air? Not cool. 

• Upvote 1

I gotta finally say it:   it's about time they return to old school Sioux hockey.   As soon as the puck drops, start hitting people.  Hit the forwards; hit their goalie; if they lean over the boards, hit their coaches.  Hell, hit their cheerleaders if they are manly enough to have them.   And if they can do all that and stay out of the box, they sweep,   Simple--just like back in the day.  

If it were me, I'd have every Sioux player wearing a rubber Mike Prpich mask.  Mess with 'em, then mess 'em up.  

25 minutes ago, burd said:

I gotta finally say it:   it's about time they return to old school Sioux hockey.   As soon as the puck drops, start hitting people.  Hit the forwards; hit their goalie; if they lean over the boards, hit their coaches.  Hell, hit their cheerleaders if they are manly enough to have them.   And if they can do all that and stay out of the box, they sweep,   Simple--just like back in the day.  

If it were me, I'd have every Sioux player wearing a rubber Mike Prpich mask.  Mess with 'em, then mess 'em up.  

That would be one way to break through the 1-4 defensive scheme CC used on us last time

25 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

That would be one way to break through the 1-4 defensive scheme CC used on us last time

Let's remember that our team had an illness running through the locker room last time and hadn't had a week off since the season started. We are healthier now and just had a week off. We'll see if those things make a difference this time.

• Upvote 1