SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota travels to Colorado College

Wilbur

13 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Wonder how much time the boys spent in the altitude machine? I think Colorado College is a bit higher even than DU. 

Yup, Colorado Springs is above 6,000 feet whereas Denver is a measley 5,200 or so.  I think my RA saw I was from North Dakota and purposively put me on the 1st floor so I didn't pass out moving into my dorm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Let's remember that our team had an illness running through the locker room last time and hadn't had a week off since the season started. We are healthier now and just had a week off. We'll see if those things make a difference this time.

There were also a few guys that were banged up. Coach Berry mentioned it in the post-game following Saturday’s OT loss. If I recall correctly, Gaber looked like he was battling something too. Good point. It's not an excuse; it's just a point of order. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lots of hedging going on around here....

Let's effing sweep them. Yes, they played us well in our barn. Yes, they are having a better year than they have in a long time. But, so our we.

Eff this team. Sweep em and get one step closer to the Penne Rosa.

I like your thinking. :)

38 minutes ago, Goon said:

There were also a few guys that were also banged up. Berry mentioned it in the post-game following Saturday’s OT loss. IRC Gaber looked like he was battling something too. Good point. Not an excuse just a point of order. 

We do have the depth to withstand injuries. But when you are fighting off some virus, you won't have the usual energy level and jump needed to win games in the NCHC. And despite all that, we lost both games in OT and still got 2 points out of the weekend. I think we get at least 3 points this weekend, maybe more.

CC’s going to be coming at UND with a ton of desperation. They currently sit 16th in the Pairwise and the cut line is 14 due to Atlantic Hockey and the CCHA getting two auto bids. A win or two against the #2 team in the nation would go a long way to CC’s continued climb up the pairwise ladder. Also, CC’s in a tight battle for third place and are still mathematically in the race for the Penrose Cup so they have a ton to play for. I say, let’s match if not exceed the Tigers’ desperation and level of intensity. UND has a ton at stake just as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/colorado-college-is-thriving-on-frustrating-opponents

Expect some low-scoring, close games from the sounds of it.

UND has a no regulation loss streak going...will be interesting to see if they can keep that rolling.
CC has a good run of their own:

The Tigers have one regulation loss in the last 12 games and have surged past rival Denver in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference standings

UND-Colorado College games have been low-scoring and tight.

The last six games have been decided by a goal. The last four have gone into overtime.

The last time they played in Colorado Springs, it ended 0-0. It's the only time in UND hockey history a 65-minute game ended without a goal.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:39 PM, Godsmack said:

CC’s going to be coming at UND with a ton of desperation. They currently sit 16th in the Pairwise and the cut line is 14 due to Atlantic Hockey and the CCHA getting two auto bids. A win or two against the #2 team in the nation would go a long way to CC’s continued climb up the pairwise ladder. Also, CC’s in a tight battle for third place and are still mathematically in the race for the Penrose Cup so they have a ton to play for. I say, let’s match if not exceed the Tigers’ desperation and level of intensity. UND has a ton at stake just as well. 

UND's remaining schedule:

- two teams fighting for their PWR lives (CC 39%, WMU 76%)
- two teams looking to be spoilers (UMD 1%, Omaha 6%)

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php#google_vignette 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I like it, but goodness, please, no OT haha.

I guess it would keep our regulation streak intact. 

I think we sweep. Not because CC isn't good, because they are. But, I just think we're better. The team is really rolling. Just feels like a confident bunch.

With that said, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get smacked in the mouth one of the nights just to keep the team on its toes.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Most likely, as you'd want all the skater options, but if not there may be an unspoken injury. 

Yes, the Herald article from last night said that Johannes and Johnson were the two that stayed back in GF.

This feels like one of the most important weekends of the season. Playing a game with a lot on the line (us vying for 1st in the NCHC and holding onto a 1-seed for the ncaa tourney while CC tries to move into an at-large spot and keep its hopes for NCHC home ice). With CC being a team that has playoff-level defense and goaltending all the time is a great test for us going into the playoffs. This is the weekend that will prepare us the most for the NCAAs with how tight it will be and how hard both teams will be going at it. Big time test for the boys that will teach us a lot about this team.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

This feels like one of the most important weekends of the season. 

I think they all tend to feel that way down the stretch.  Gonna be interesting for sure.   CC really wants to turn the corner with this series.

• Upvote 1