SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

11 minutes ago, Kab said:

For some reason I thought Bo was coming back

if someone enters tomorrow can they still play in the fcs playoffs the rest of the playoffs 

That’s up to the individual coach/team. I don’t know UND’s stance, but Entz has said once a player enters the portal they are off the team. I agree with that. They’re essentially quitting, so why should they still be on the team. 

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I was asking specifically about hockey, but I disagree that NIL won’t be a major influence at FCS or G5. The best players at those levels will continue to be poached every year from the big boys with even minimal amounts. FCS will be significantly diminished in its talent level in my view as a result.

The very top G5 & FCS guys will be poached by P5, but I think eventually the portal will settle down and certainly the significant NIL $ will only be available to very few FCS and G5 transfers.  I don't think FCS and G5 will ever have significant NIL budgets.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Back to UND. Anybody else find it odd that we haven’t heard any of the “Covid extra year” guys say they are coming back? I’m starting to doubt Bo coming back. You just think we would have heard by now if he was.

He already said it in public in an interview. He is a student athletic with much more on his plate than social media posts. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wow, a lot of "We just can't do it" thinking here.

No wonder we can't build our non-hockey Division I programs, the "can't do" mentality prevents us from getting past square one.

The "sit back and wait" approach won't work in this environment.

I don't want to become the next Northern Colorado.

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

We don’t have one

ndsu does

chaves is on record saying he wants to sit back and watch. Then think philosophical about whether we need it or not

At this time schools are limited in what they can do regarding NIL but the NCAA is looking to change that. 

I've seen this a couple of places:

Current NCAA rules prohibit anyone in an athletic department from representing athletes in marketing deals, directly or indirectly, but schools are allowed to provide their athletes with education and some tools for connecting with boosters and business who might want to sign them to an NIL deal. 

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

You have got to be kidding me….. 

well then get community leaders involved…wow 

sit back and wait

UND has already started the 701 initiative with an initial goal of raising $1,000,000 which would be used for “Alston Awards”.  Student athletes including those on partial scholarships can receive up to $24,000 over 4 years. Chaves and the Alumni staff/Athletic staff started work on this over 6 mos ago. I disagree with those who state we are doing nothing. Having said that, I have not heard of anyone who has started an NIL fund for UND athletes. I’m not going to give big money for UND student athletes beyond scholarships for an education and the additional expense money or even Alston Awards. 

The NCAA has created a new mess with how they deal with NIL and the portal. The courts have ruled that athletes can be compensated. I believe the NCAA had stated the schools can’t administer NIL funds (not sure where it stands anymore because they have turned a blind eye).  I also understood schools couldn’t use NIL funds for recruiting. Let the athletes find their own organizations/companies for NIL dollars. Violations of recruiting should be dealt with severely to include loss of eligibility for the athlete and loss of scholarships and post season eligibility for the schools. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

UND has already started the 701 initiative with an initial goal of raising $1,000,000 which would be used for “Alston Awards”.  Student athletes including those on partial scholarships can receive up to $24,000 over 4 years. Chaves and the Alumni staff/Athletic staff started work on this over 6 mos ago. I disagree with those who state we are doing nothing. Having said that, I have not heard of anyone who has started an NIL fund for UND athletes. I’m not going to give big money for UND student athletes beyond scholarships for an education and the additional expense money or even Alston Awards. 

The NCAA has created a new mess with how they deal with NIL and the portal. The courts have ruled that athletes can be compensated. I believe the NCAA had stated the schools can’t administer NIL funds (not sure where it stands anymore because they have turned a blind eye).  I also understood schools couldn’t use NIL funds for recruiting. Let the athletes find their own organizations/companies for NIL dollars. Violations of recruiting should be dealt with severely to include loss of eligibility for the athlete and loss of scholarships and post season eligibility for the schools. 

As always I agree with you. And thanks for your wisdom about how the transfer portal and NIL have already changed college sports. I would not contribute to NIL either; I would for student athletes for educational expenses!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, tnt said:

Schlossman makes a good point for college hockey, in that what would change.  Minnesota, BU, BC and Michigan are already getting a bunch of the studs, yet Minnesota State and Quinnipiac are still competing well, because older, experienced players can offset the high skill to some degree.  Take this year for instance, how many people wanted Britt, Pehrson, or Johannes?  Safe to say UND wouldn’t be where they are at without them.

Via X (Twitter) it's easy to see that every school is losing grad transfers, and soon underclassmen athletes to the portal again this year. It's silly to fuel panic attacks on fan sites. UND might need to change its mindset on how to recruits through the portal, which seems to be they are very selective, but it's the new reality. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Via X (Twitter) it's easy to see that every school is losing grad transfers, and soon underclassmen athletes to the portal again this year. It's silly to fuel panic attacks on fan sites. UND might need to change its mindset on how to recruits through the portal, which seems to be they are very selective, but it's the new reality. 

The crazy thing will be when (not if) a starter whose team is still playing in FCS playoffs leaves and enters the portal.  With early signing day Dec 20th they are potentially leaving money on the table if they wait until January.  

6 hours ago, Bison06 said:

If it becomes a major influence will UND be positioned well to stay as competitive as they’ve been?

UND hockey has always competed with bigger $$$ as in the NHL. Hard to convince a kid to stay in the ncaa when they see those easy $$$$ to leave early. NIL will only help programs like UND retain these elite players longer

5 hours ago, Kab said:

The top ones will enter the portal if and when they become that good

Need to keep recruiting d2 players and hope the peak when they don’t have any eligibility left???? D2 players have been good enough to get to the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

As always I agree with you. And thanks for your wisdom about how the transfer portal and NIL have already changed college sports. I would not contribute to NIL either; I would for student athletes for educational expenses!

It will be interesting to learn how Penn State deals with this.

I have no issue if a business/enterprise wants to contract with athletes for gear/clothing/swag with the athletes NIL. Once they include the university’s name/logos/unis etc the University needs to be part of the contract.

Other discussion points would be a choice between the scholarship plus allowed expenses plus Alston money vs NIL dollars.  Choose one or the other. If they choose NIL they can play and pay for the education. There are a number of Power 5 schools that may struggle to come up with the extra millions now needed for recruiting and retention. It’s fair the athletes are recognized for their value to college athletics but we fail them if all college for them becomes their sport. 

The lack of leadership from the NCAA has reared its ugly head. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who on the roster could enter the portal and get a FBS offer???? Not many. If guys are leaving they are lucky to land another FCS spot 

I believe 2 QB’s, 3RB’s, at least one TE if not more, at least one OL, and maybe more depending on the schools needs. 
Not necessarily Power 5 but we have guys who could play up. Not sure about Fr and RFr we haven’t seen yet. 
It wouldn’t surprise me to see any of the guys who are leaving end up with an FBS school, FCS school or even D2. Not likely for all but we may be surprised. 

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND hockey has always competed with bigger $$$ as in the NHL. Hard to convince a kid to stay in the ncaa when they see those easy $$$$ to leave early. NIL will only help programs like UND retain these elite players longer

I may not be phrasing my question well here, but what I’m asking is UND positioned well to compete with its peers for NIL money in ncaa hockey? The dynamic with the NHL money hasn’t changed, to your point, but UND hockey competes against schools that have some incredibly wealthy and enormous alumni bases. Do you anticipate NIL money becoming the factor in hockey that it’s become in football?  

I know UND loves and supports its hockey and maybe I’m naive to the level at which UND has alumni financial support, but I don’t believe if Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or even Minnesota decided to pull together significant NIL support that UND could pull together similar money. I could be way off base here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I may not be phrasing my question well here, but what I’m asking is UND positioned well to compete with its peers for NIL money in ncaa hockey? The dynamic with the NHL money hasn’t changed, to your point, but UND hockey competes against schools that have some incredibly wealthy and enormous alumni bases. Do you anticipate NIL money becoming the factor in hockey that it’s become in football?  

I know UND loves and supports its hockey and maybe I’m naive to the level at which UND has alumni financial support, but I don’t believe if Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or even Minnesota decided to pull together significant NIL support that UND could pull together similar money. I could be way off base here.

To add some context to what Bison06 is alluding to, NDSU lost two All-American wrestlers to NIL last year; both to Iowa. Rumor is they’re both getting north of $100,000. Hockey schools like UM, UW, Notre Dame and maybe a few others will be able to offer kids hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It’s not just a football/basketball thing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AJS said:

I think so. I’m not worried about it at all. Facilities are still #1 in the country, Alston / FCOA is $10K a year. They’ll always be fine. 

What is the 701 Fund UND started this year? Isn't that the academic NIL?

9 minutes ago, shep said:

What is the 701 Fund UND started this year? Isn't that the academic NIL?

It is an Alston Award type fund. The last time I reviewed, schools could award almost $6000 per year above the scholarship/expense money. It is awarded to athletes based on criteria including academic performance community service etc. It is my understanding that schools aren’t to be involved with NIL funding.  I haven’t bothered to review for recent changes. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

To add some context to what Bison06 is alluding to, NDSU lost two All-American wrestlers to NIL last year; both to Iowa. Rumor is they’re both getting north of $100,000. Hockey schools like UM, UW, Notre Dame and maybe a few others will be able to offer kids hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It’s not just a football/basketball thing. 

I agree with you and am not sure how well UND would complete.  NIL was pushed by the larger states that have the schools that can support it.  It’s not good for G5 and lower at any sport. 

Also, fans can be upset with schools but this one is all in fans.  The UND athletic dept is doing what they can, and has a great collective going that gives them and their athletes an option.  The big NIL money is all coming from fans and I give credit to Jay for working to get things going for NDSU.  I don’t think paying a handful of players is good for a locker room but sitting back with no option is not good either.

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:38 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Probably! but we also probably made them look like all stars. :lol:

Is Theo Day graduating? Not sure what UNI has lined up behind him. Not saying Tommy is going to UNI, but I could see that type of scenario working out. And a team like that where there is a good O-line and some play makers, he would probably fit right in. 

For all those who couldn't wait to see Tommy gone, I also wouldn't want to see him on the other side of the field either. Especially if the coach knows how to call plays to fit his strengths.

Because Tommy always has good games against bad teams :D

• Like 1

Remember when NIL was pitched as a way for NCAA athletes to get compensated because the school was making money off their name, image, or likeness?  0NOw it has turned into a recruiting tool to buy players as free agents and the highest bidder wins.  Completely out of hand.  NCAA failed to regulate it.  They need to reign it in before it really gets out of hand.  Por sports have salary caps.  There needs to be an NIL cap.  Obviously, schools with FBS in P5 conferences would have a different cap amount than say NSIC schools.  Either way, there needs to be a solution to the NIL craziness before it gets really out of hand.... which we are tattering on right now.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I have been kicking myself for not pursuing NIL money back in the late 70’s in intramural basketball and softball 

As someone who was on championship Intramural Softball teams at UND(multiple), NDSU, and Moorhead State despite only attending one of these schools it seems I should have had a better "Family Advisor" to look out for my financial interests and opportunities. :whistling: