SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

On 4/22/2024 at 9:51 PM, sioux24/7 said:

I’m feeling pretty pessimistic right now about next year. I’ve been a big Danny guy so that’s a big reason and then the o-line turnover + no faith in Joel and the D. Right now, this is my prediction

Iowa State - L

Montana - L

Idaho State - W

San Diego - W

Murray State - W

NDSU - L

UNI - L

Youngstown State - L

Indiana State - L 

SDSU - L

USD - W (only because we never lose to them at home)

Illinois State - L

4-8…. like I said, I am feeling pretty pessimistic right now. Maybe by fall ball I will put the green colored glasses back on. 

I’ve backed away from the ledge…. A bit….

@ Iowa State - L

Montana - L - this is going to be close. The impact the Alerus has and this being a night game will be huge in determining the outcome

Idaho State - W

San Diego - W

Murray State - W

@ NDSU - L - would love to make this a winning streak against NDSU, but don’t see it happening in Fargo, yet. 

Northern Iowa - W

@ Youngstown State - L

@Indiana State - W

SDSU - L - would be pretty sweet to get some revenge on Freund (still love you Danny) and Hagen though….

USD - W - we don’t lose at home to them 

@ Illinois State - W - we secure this road game and nervously wait to see if we sneak into the playoffs. 

7-5. Really this might be best case scenario for this year. I don’t think we are pulling off the FBS upset. Probably not beating NDSU in Fargo. The Montana and SDSU games could maybe flip due to location but unlikely. A couple of the road W’s I have are optimistic with our road record under Bubba. 

45 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’ve backed away from the ledge…. A bit….

@ Iowa State - L

Montana - L - this is going to be close. The impact the Alerus has and this being a night game will be huge in determining the outcome

Idaho State - W

San Diego - W

Murray State - W

@ NDSU - L - would love to make this a winning streak against NDSU, but don’t see it happening in Fargo, yet. 

Northern Iowa - W

@ Youngstown State - L

@Indiana State - W

SDSU - L - would be pretty sweet to get some revenge on Freund (still love you Danny) and Hagen though….

USD - W - we don’t lose at home to them 

@ Illinois State - W - we secure this road game and nervously wait to see if we sneak into the playoffs. 

7-5. Really this might be best case scenario for this year. I don’t think we are pulling off the FBS upset. Probably not beating NDSU in Fargo. The Montana and SDSU games could maybe flip due to location but unlikely. A couple of the road W’s I have are optimistic with our road record under Bubba. 

Montana - W

Idaho State - L

14 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Sounds like Romfo had a great practice today.

Sounds like he has been connecting on some passes. Will be interesting if they put him in for some run packages at all this year. If they do end up doing that,  seems like would be primed to maybe throw a deep ball and catch them off guard. So anxious to see how our offense is going to look with a new QB....whomever it is. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bubba’s defense is the reason UND is not a top 10 team, hasn’t been the same since Eric left. Fix that and UND is back to a top 15 team even with a young team.

Here's where Massey has UND's defense the last ten years (first 6 with Schmidt as DC, 2 3 with Holinka, 2 1 with Schwenzfeier):
2023 - 26
2022 - 30
2021 - 7
2020 - 10
2019 - 23
2018 - 21
2017 - 48
2016 - 15
2015 - 37
2014 - 52

2021 is an odd one, but guess that's what happens when you have 5 one score FCS losses by a total of 23 points.
2020 is odd for its own reasons.

Edit - Fixed when Holinka left/Schwenzfeier started

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Montana - W

Idaho State - L

My guess the opening line vs the Griz will be UND +5.5 to 6.5.

After traveling to Ames the week before that won't be an for sure home opener win.

A 3-3 start would be optimistic IMO.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here's where Massey has UND's defense the last ten years (first 6 with Schmidt as DC, 2 with Holinka, 2 with Schwenzfeier):
2023 - 26
2022 - 30
2021 - 7
2020 - 10
2019 - 23
2018 - 21
2017 - 48
2016 - 15
2015 - 37
2014 - 52

2021 is an odd one, but guess that's what happens when you have 5 one score FCS losses by a total of 23 points.

Honestly wondering, how does Massey work for ranking defense? Eye test tells me we weren’t a top 26 defense last year. 

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here's where Massey has UND's defense the last ten years (first 6 with Schmidt as DC, 2 with Holinka, 2 with Schwenzfeier):
2023 - 26
2022 - 30
2021 - 7
2020 - 10
2019 - 23
2018 - 21
2017 - 48
2016 - 15
2015 - 37
2014 - 52

So it appears that while Schmidt has gone on to better things at UND he was average at best. Not dissing him because he is one of us, but looking at the stats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

2023 - 26
2022 - 30
2021 - 7
2020 - 10
2019 - 23
2018 - 21
2017 - 48
2016 - 15
2015 - 37
2014 - 52

Pretty sure Joel has been the DC for only one year which I think makes it all line up a bit better.  I remember holinka having a good year followed by a terrible year.. 22 and 23 were equally bad and poor from a defensive point of view.

I feel we will be better on the defensive side this year although I would have said we were way worse than 26th last year.. felt more like 96th most games. Strength or schedule must be a big impact or something. 

12 hours ago, wheelsup said:

Pretty sure Joel has been the DC for only one year which I think makes it all line up a bit better.  I remember holinka having a good year followed by a terrible year.. 22 and 23 were equally bad and poor from a defensive point of view.

I feel we will be better on the defensive side this year although I would have said we were way worse than 26th last year.. felt more like 96th most games. Strength or schedule must be a big impact or something. 

Yep, mistake on my part and fixed.

Yes, SOS has a huge impact including playing 3 of the top 4 offenses plus 3 more in the top 30, plus an FBS school.
Agreed that the defense probably didn't feel that high, but again, on average, seeing much better opponents than average and the drop off outside the big 2 or 3 conferences can be pretty huge. In the end, doesn't mean a whole lot but thought it was interesting from a completely analytical/unbiased point of view as to where the ranks have fallen the last decade.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yep, mistake on my part and fixed.

Yes, SOS has a huge impact including playing 3 of the top 4 offenses plus 3 more in the top 30, plus an FBS school.
Agreed that the defense probably didn't feel that high, but again, on average, seeing much better opponents than average and the drop off outside the big 2 or 3 conferences can be pretty huge. In the end, doesn't mean a whole lot but thought it was interesting from a completely analytical/unbiased point of view as to where the ranks have fallen the last decade.

Yes, averaging around 27th defensively in the country over the time period with the same “defensive-minded” head coach. Incredibly mediocre like everything else accomplished over the past decade. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, averaging around 27th defensively in the country over the time period with the same “defensive-minded” head coach. Incredibly mediocre like everything else accomplished over the past decade. 

"incredibly mediocre"  or "devastatingly mediocre"?

Incredibly somehow sounds good.

2 hours ago, shep said:

"incredibly mediocre"  or "devastatingly mediocre"?

Incredibly somehow sounds good.

All depends on expectations I guess. 27th overall in the country doesn’t even place you in the FCS playoffs is one way to look at it …

19 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m going to make a somewhat bold take. No matter who is named the starting QB, I think Romfo is no lower than 2 on the depth chart. And he’s going to play regardless, but that’s not bold. 

From all that we've been thinking, that is really bold.

Is he more than a Brockstar type?

21 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m going to make a somewhat bold take. No matter who is named the starting QB, I think Romfo is no lower than 2 on the depth chart. And he’s going to play regardless, but that’s not bold. 

no chance....miller writes up these articles every year about "______ lighting it up in camp".....and they are almost never to be heard from again.